Fluxgate Compass Location - CD36

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

bottomscraper

Fluxgate Compass Location - CD36

Post by bottomscraper »

I am in the process of installing our new Raymarine S2G Autopilot on Mahalo. The previous Autohelm 6000 system had the fluxgate compass mounted under the deck near the base of the mast. The instructions for the new unit indicate that the best location is between 30% and 50% of the water line measured from the aft end. That would make the old location further forward than desired. I am considering mounting it in the locker under the chart table but that would not be on the center line.

Where do other CD36 owners have their fluxgate compass mounted?

Rich
Rich Abato
Nordic Tug 34 Tanuki

Previous Owner Of CD36 Mahalo #163

Southern Maine
http://www.sailmahalo.com
Bill Cochrane
s/v Phoenix

Compass location

Post by Bill Cochrane »

Rich,

I have two (one for the autopilot, one for the chartplotter) in the forward portion of the underseat locker, port settee, just aft of the head bulkhead and against the inboard face of the locker, in front of and below the hatch opening. Seems to work well and there is no ferrous metal or current carrying wiring in that area (so long as we remember what can and cannot go in that locker).

I believe the location is specified to minimize movement; close to the 3-axis center of gravity. Close to the base of the mast should statisfy that, I would think, so your old location should work. FWIW.

Regards, Bill
patturner

Fluxgate

Post by patturner »

I just installed the same autopilot and put the fluxgate under the galley sink, against the innermost corner of the small cabinet. Do you think the sink would cause any problems. I have nothing else under there (manual galley pump) and no current. It is pretty close to the center line and just about right where they want it fore/aft.

Watta ya think?

Pat
________
HERBAL SHOP
________
HERBAL STORE
Last edited by patturner on Feb 15th, '11, 22:02, edited 2 times in total.
John Nebilak

Post by John Nebilak »

I also positioned a fluxgate compass under the chart table in the "wet" locker and it seems to be working fine. Considering the complications with running the cable more foward, I think the wet locker bulkhead works great.
John
David van den Burgh

Post by David van den Burgh »

Our compass is mounted under the galley sink as well - at the bottom of the cabinet. No problems to date.
Bob Luby

Fluxgate compass location

Post by Bob Luby »

Yankee Dory (CD-36) Has the compass sensor mounted in the bottom of thd gallley sink cabinet - Amidships.
________
Mercedes-Benz Type 300
________
Vaporizer Store
Last edited by Bob Luby on Feb 14th, '11, 10:29, edited 2 times in total.
Troy Scott

flux gate and batteries

Post by Troy Scott »

Rich,

The flux gate sensor in my CD36 was installed under the galley sink, on the inboard side of the locker. I suppose it worked OK, but I never used it. I've removed it and will probably install it elsewhere because I plan to make the locker just forward of that space into a battery locker. The house batteries will go under the "L" of the L-shaped settee. However, if I decide to include a new cabin sole in my refit I may put sealed batteries UNDER the sole. Thoughts?

-Troy
Regards,
Troy Scott
Bob L

Post by Bob L »

We have our flux gate under the galley sink. Every so often, something ferrous placed indiscriminately close causes problems (fly swatter with steel handle, metal bucket of citronella). We've learned to watch what we stow in that area.
Parfait's Provider
berthed Whortonsville, NC

Flux Gate

Post by Parfait's Provider »

Parfait's is in the space under the port settee just forward of the galley sink. Seems to work just fine.
Keep on sailing,

Ken Coit, ND7N
CD/36 #84
Parfait
Raleigh, NC
Mike
Location: Adagio is an Outbound 44 cruising in the Eastern Caribbean

Post by Mike »

Rich,

When I replaced the AP on Journey's End I put the fluxgate compass right where you had it on Mahalo. I considered both sides of the bulkhead separating the galley and aft port settee but rejected it because the fresh water pump was located on this bulkhead under the galley sink.

I also considered placing it on a stringer under the main cabin sole, I had the sole removed at the time, but decided out of the bilge was safer.

Mike
Mike and Merrie
s/v Adagio
http://www.sv-adagio.org
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

Rich,

You're supposed to install it as close to the center of the boat as possible, and away from any large chunks of magnetic metal (like the engine or your tool bag or canned food), of course the location of bulkheads and cabinetry make this nearly impossible. Anyway, I've installed mine beneath the sink in the galley farthest forward and inboard, and that location has worked out alright for us (CD32) so far.

By the way, we're using the same fluxgate compass for both the autopilot/heading sensor and radar/chartplotter. I've got them networked together via SeaTalk. The heading sensor has its own source of power from the panel so it can be used with or without the radar/chartplotter turned on.

Cathy
CD32 Realization, #3
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay
John Danicic

fluxgate location

Post by John Danicic »

To all:

After temporarily experimenting with various locations around the cabin, I installed my fluxgate high up in the bilge, (just under the floor boards) aft of the aluminum fuel tank. It's right on the center line. There are no other ferrous parts even close to it nor do I store any near it. The compass is almost spot on with all points except Easterly; off about 12 degrees south. My bilge is not overly wet so I am not too concerned about moisture. Other locations I tried: Sink cabinet, forward of the water tank in the quarter berth, high and low in the hanging locker; all had much greater errors around the card. Or in the case of the sink cabinet, I store my tool bag there which tended to create great directional havoc when I wasn't working on a project and the tools were put away.

I would suggest mounting it different places temporarily and go sailing. See what each location works best for you after a bit of trial and error.

Sail on.

John Danicic
CD 36 - Mariah - #124
Lake Superior.
Len

fluxgate compass location

Post by Len »

The factory mounted the fluxgate compass, directly on center high in the bilge below main floorboard access cover. This is behind the alum gas tank and within two feet forward of the engine. Easy access but why would you ever need to access it except to remove it.
Personally, I enjoy the game of comparing my compass heading (binnacle mounted floating card type) to the chart plotter heading (GPS) to the autopilot heading (fluxgate).On top of this if you ever noticed there are many areas on the coast of Maine where the charts indicate "magnetic disturbances" area.
Ignorance is the mother of adventure.

http://www.sail0rman.com
bottomscraper

Fluxgate Location

Post by bottomscraper »

After weighing all the options I decided to put the new fluxgate in the same location as the old one. If it doesn't work I can move it. The sink side doesn't work for us because that is where the water pressure pump and tank are located. The "wet" locker would be ok but that is where we keep our "everyday" tool bag. The locker under the port side "L" also has tools and other magnetic stuff. The main bilge access has a big bilge pump and the valves for the 3 water tanks.

Thanks for all the ideas!

I just got done installing the rudder position sensor. I made a bracket for it out of King Starboard. I must have crawled in and out of the quarter berth access hole about 25 times today. Lucky for me the actual drive unit is the same as our old one so the mounting for that is done. (We will keep the old one for a spare). Mounting that would have been a big job.
Rich Abato
Nordic Tug 34 Tanuki

Previous Owner Of CD36 Mahalo #163

Southern Maine
http://www.sailmahalo.com