Carolinas Fleet Southport Trip A Success!

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Lou Ostendorff

Carolinas Fleet Southport Trip A Success!

Post by Lou Ostendorff »

Greetings fellow Cape Dorians!

Well, our Southport trip was a lot of fun and although only 3 boats participated, we had a great time, with no breakdowns, gear problems, injuries, or severe weather. I'll give a complete trip report in the Carolinas Fleet Events page. Since I haven't posted in a while, I thought I'd relate a story that unfolded as we were tied up in Southport...

I gave a ride to a power boat owner (90' custom Hatteras Yacht) with the rental car we had obtained to get into town from South Harbor Village Marina. Afterwards, he invited the Fleet Members aboard for libations, so, naturally, we agreed. It turned out that he had been a sailor in previous years but his arthritis prevented the nimbleness required, so he started buying power boats. We were witness to his 21st boat. This 'toy' had been custom made by Hatteras Yachts to his specs, over a 7 year period and '970 change orders'. It could carry enough fuel (diesel) for a non-stop trip from New York to Ft. Lauderdale Florida. This was about 5,000 gallons. He said he bought diesel by the 'truck load', 'cause it was cheaper'. At cruising speed (approx. 12 knots), he used 120-140 gallons/hr.

Now, with my CD25D, it takes me a while to use this much fuel...just thought you'd like to know....
Lou Ostendorff
CD25D Karma
Fleet Member, Carolinas
Parfait's Provider
berthed Whortonsville, NC

Thanks for the report

Post by Parfait's Provider »

Lou,

Good to know that the trip went well. We arrived home late from our whirlwind auto tour, so didn't even try to meet y'all anywhere. I don't have time to burn an hour's worth of his fuel in a year, or even two. Must be nice to have the choice.

Looking forward to seeing your post.
Keep on sailing,

Ken Coit, ND7N
CD/36 #84
Parfait
Raleigh, NC
Ron Turner
Oriental, NC

Southport photos

Post by Ron Turner »

Here we have the three CDs and our mobile cocktail lounge. Joe and Libby Shapiro were our hosts. JOLI FOUR got underway at dawn and was back in within minutes with engine trouble. Don't you know the President of Hatteras got a wakeup call. They were back underway in hours. We should all have such service?

Ron Turner
Ron Turner
Oriental, NC

More photos

Post by Ron Turner »

Pete and Dick hard at work;

Lou hard at work?

Ron Turner
Steve Laume

Fuel economy

Post by Steve Laume »

Hum, 5000 gallons for a one way trip to Florida. Thats about $30,000.00 per year for the round trip for fuel only. You could have a whole fleet of Cape Dorys at various locations and fly to them whenever you wanted to use one for a lot less money. There is a whole other world out there, Steve.