Modify a power boat trailer

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Tracuman
Location: Callipygian 1982 Cape Dory 25D Hull #9 Treasure Island Fla

Modify a power boat trailer

Post by Tracuman »

Thanks again for all the great advise so far. I'm still working on trailering the 25D "Callipygian" from Texas to Florida and I may have a plan, but want to see what the great experience out there thinks of it. I may have access to a tandem powerboat trailer and was wondering what negatives there would be to mounting the cradle that I found plans for on this site on that trailer. The advantage is the longer tongue length of the PB trailer versus a flatbed, but I'm not sure about the strength of the aluminum beams on this trailer. 6,000 lbs. seems like a lot of weight to carry half way across the country, but if the axles are rated at 3500 each I should be fine?
barfwinkle

Congratulations

Post by barfwinkle »

on the new 25D. I moved my 25D from San Antonio to the vicinity of Fort Smith Arkansas on the original cradle and a standard flat bed trailer with 3500 # axels. It was squirrelly to say the least.

If you can make the PB trailer work and the center of gravity doesnt go to hight, the longer tongue will be very beneficial. I now have a trailer built for the boat and I can easily pull at highway speeds.

Good luck.
Bill Member #250.
Tracuman

Post by Tracuman »

Yes, I'm not completely confident of this plan and I surely don't want my new girlfriend rolling around on Interstate 10. Still, I have read enough posts on the site here to be reasonably comfortable with the flatbed and cradle idea if I can be sure that the bow of the boat won't crush or rub the back side of my wifes Nissan Armada. (I could feasibly be in trouble with TWO WOMEN). :(
Thanks for the feedback. I'll post how it all turns out.
ronellis
Location: Starry Eyes - CD25 #448 (Dad's Boat) - Port Aransas, TX

Post by ronellis »

The cradle plans that I've seen on this site are for a CD25, not a 25D. I don't think they'd work for a 25D in the application you're considering.

Can you modify the powerboat trailer by having some supports welded on?

I hope you can find a good solution.
Statue of Liberty play
It only works once
Don't throw it away
Tracuman

Post by Tracuman »

I've actually found a used metal cradle at the salvage yard that I may try to attach to the PB trailer either bolting it on or welding it on. Then I have to come up with a way to control the movement fore and aft.....still thinking this out.
Jimbo
Location: cd 27 malletts bay vt. Cattail cd 14 #65 cd 10 #2251

Post by Jimbo »

When you figure the available load capacity of the trailer you need to deduct the weight of the trailer. example 7000 lb gvw - trailer weight 1500 = 5500 available capacity
Tracuman

Post by Tracuman »

I think I'm ok as long as I'm careful about the center of gravity and where it's placed. I'll be towing using a Nissan Armada with a V8 rated towing capacity is 9100, so I think there's room there for gear (although there's really not a lot of stuff on board....sails and stuff I can put in the Armada).