New Boat Owner needs advise!

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

grania
Owner-Aine

incredible message board

Post by grania »

I was overwhelmed by the responses and helpful advice I've found on this board. Thanks everyone! This is a great resource. I will definitely pick up Casey and Caulder's books-winter is coming and if I cant sail I might as well read about sailing! These 2 books have come up quite a few times in talking to different people.
After having successfully changed the impeller, Im having further engine problems. Hey, its a 22 yo engine. Ah well. Meeting a mechanic in the morning to go thru it with him. I hope to learn alot-trouble-shoot it myself next time. I will be back to talk to you folks on many occasion.
Has anyone sailed into Block Island, RI? That will likely be my first "big sail" in the spring/summer. I love the island, but will love it even more sailing to it. Aine
Aine
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Winter sailing

Post by Neil Gordon »

Winter "sailing" is best done in front of the fire with brandy in a snifter, charts on the table and dreams of spring/summer on your mind.

Block Island is on my list for 2007, as well. It's straightforward with lots of stops along the way depending on how many miles you want to go at a time. Others here can give you details but while you're planning, check the currents for the Cape Cod canal, Buzzards Bay, etc. If you can, schedule your trip for a fair tide.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Duncan Maio

Sorry, Block Island is closed

Post by Duncan Maio »

Sad to say, Block Island is no longer available as a cruising destination. It has been so popular for so long, given its extraordinary beauty and splendor, casual atmosphere, excellent dining, fun shopping, great beaches, fishing, hiking, kayaking, sailing, kite flying, surfing, etc. that the Rhode Island Legislature has declared the island off limits to non-residents.

A Rhode Island drivers license or other photo ID will now be required to board the ferry to Old Harbor. The Harbormaster will be turning away any boat not showing a Rhode Island registration or home port at the entrance to New Harbor, and identification checks will be made at random at landing points at Old Harbor, New Harbor and Mosquito Beach (those are the "official" spots - presumably, they will figure out the other likely landings, like Coast Guard Beach, and monitor those as well).

Of course, we expect a big Federal Constitutional challenge from all you out-of-staters, with your high-and-mighty Commerce-clause claims. We, however, have the Nature Conservancy, Senator Jack Reed, and the Kennedys on our side. Bring it on!
Duncan Maio
s/v Remedy
CD27 #37
Bristol, RI
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Re: Sorry, Block Island is closed

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

Duncan Maio wrote:Sad to say, Block Island is no longer available as a cruising destination. It has been so popular for so long, given its extraordinary beauty and splendor, casual atmosphere, excellent dining, fun shopping, great beaches, fishing, hiking, kayaking, sailing, kite flying, surfing, etc. that the Rhode Island Legislature has declared the island off limits to non-residents.

A Rhode Island drivers license or other photo ID will now be required to board the ferry to Old Harbor. The Harbormaster will be turning away any boat not showing a Rhode Island registration or home port at the entrance to New Harbor, and identification checks will be made at random at landing points at Old Harbor, New Harbor and Mosquito Beach (those are the "official" spots - presumably, they will figure out the other likely landings, like Coast Guard Beach, and monitor those as well).

Of course, we expect a big Federal Constitutional challenge from all you out-of-staters, with your high-and-mighty Commerce-clause claims. We, however, have the Nature Conservancy, Senator Jack Reed, and the Kennedys on our side. Bring it on!
Since Block Island depends on tourism for its economy, how on earth can this be true?

Just wondering and don't believe it,
Cathy
CD32 Realization, #3
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay
Clay Stalker

Duncan's Dreams

Post by Clay Stalker »

Cathy:

It's just Duncan dreamin' again......

Clay Stalker
Clay Stalker
Westmoreland, NH and Spofford Lake, NH
Duncan Maio

You can't win if you don't play . . .

Post by Duncan Maio »

Sorry if I alarmed you, Cathy. As a concerned local and long-time devotee of the island, I do all I can to discourage newbies from discovering the most wonderful vacation spot on the Atlantic coast.
Duncan Maio
s/v Remedy
CD27 #37
Bristol, RI
grania
Owner-Aine

Duncans nightmare!!

Post by grania »

Duncan! Dont joke like that! I thought the world was truly becoming a terrible place when we could no longer visit B.I..Hey, I believed you for a second-thought it was maybe a new "homeland security" thing, but no, not wonderful, little R.I., they wouldnt do that to us.
Anyway, the island is completely surrounded by old shipwrecks. I believe most of their crew were in a mad dash to get to Ballards before closing time. Alas. I'll set sail early morning when I plan to go. Aine
Aine
Duncan Maio

Post by Duncan Maio »

grania wrote:I'll set sail early morning when I plan to go. Aine
I shall alert the RI National Guard, and the waitstaff at Ballards. :wink:
Duncan Maio
s/v Remedy
CD27 #37
Bristol, RI