Cockpit Drains Clogged

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

ronkberg

Cockpit Drains Clogged

Post by ronkberg »

I took my Typhoon to a marina to be hauled and setup on my trailer for the winter. I have been on a mooring all summer and did not have the luxury of a hose to wash off the salt and bird droppings. So when I reached the marina I took their hose and gave her a good wash down before I lowered the mast. Surprise, surprise, the cockpit was not draining! YIKES, lucky she is still afloat.

Now I need coaching as to how I clear the drains and preventative maintenance guidance for back into the salt next spring? My drain valves appear to be original and look like what your hose connects to at home. Should I replace them with ball valves as many others have done? The originals were working well before I launched last spring so I assume that critters from the ocean have moved in and I want them evicted so the cockpit stays drained and dry during the long hard Maine winter.

What say CD experts, should I call the RotoRuter guys?

Ron
mjcarney

cockpit drains

Post by mjcarney »

Ron, I have had my Typhoon for 25 years and the cockpit drains do need attention on a regular basis especially if you have feathery visitors on the boom. I replaced the original brass thru hull drains years ago with a plastic variety. The hose between the cockpit and the valve is double clamped and sealed (below the waterline) and the upper connection is single clamped. If things get nasty, you have to unclamp the upper connection and rinse it out...a primordial brew. A good flushing out to ensure thru hull drainage confirms success. Good Luck! MJ Carney
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

A small sink plunger is standard equipment our boat. A few plunges might do the trick. A mid season dive with a screw driver to clear the through hull will help a lot. Kinks in hoses? Gate valves bad, Steve.
Jim Davis
Edgewater, MD

You can also

Post by Jim Davis »

I used a plastic bilge pump. I would pour some water in the cockpit and stick the end of the pump hard against the drain and pump. Generally worked and lots of crud came out. In a marina you can use a hose with pressure to blast the stuff out through the bottom.
Jim Davis
S/V Isa Lei
jamie harrell
"Osprey"
Mobjack Bay VA

Post by jamie harrell »

I just cleared my typhoon drains by using my hand bilge pump. I too keep "Osprey" on a mooring. The starboard side drain seemed "a little slow". A couple of pumps pulled up a good amount of crud that I swept over the side. Seemed to work well and I'm adding this to my usual maintenance routine.
ronkberg

Flushed and working

Post by ronkberg »

Folks, thanks for the responses and I am glad to report that when the bottom crud was washed away, the drains worked properly again. I still plan to replace the gate valve with ball valves, but quite frankly I sailed all this summer and never found need to close the drains. I plan to carry a plunger next season and will check the thru-hull orifices whenever the Maine waters are warm.....yuk, yuk!

Thanks again, Ron
osteomark

Post by osteomark »

where can I buy ball valves for Typhoon? Is it a major project.
M. R. Bober

Post by M. R. Bober »

On TIA MARI (1979 CD27) every once in awhile a somewhat straightened wire coat hanger would be employed to break up the crud without damaging the cockpit scupper hoses. Sidebar: Some of you are aware of my suspicion that the location of the CD27's cockpit scupper seacocks was chosen by convicted war criminals. I, too, found a small plumber's plunger to be useful.

Mitchell Bober
Sunny Annapolis (where none are as alone as those with marine plumbing issues),MD
CDSOA Founding Member
ronkberg

Any good marina will have seacocks

Post by ronkberg »

Below is a how to do for replacing the seacocks and all you need to do is select the correct size to fit your Typhoon. Search for notes from Jeff Sanders because he did the replacement early in 2006 and wrote a note here....I think??

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Ron

http://www.boatus.com/boattech/casey/07.htm
Paul D.

Post by Paul D. »

You can search the archives of this board for west marine part numbers for this job, but here is how I replaced my old Ty's gate valves in 1999 with help from this board.

2 Apollo Ball valves
2 45 degree bend
2 adapters
2 2 1/2 foot sections of 3/4 hose to the cockpit scupper

After I found the parts it was a fun two hour job and I felt really good about my drains afterwards. I bedded the thru-hulls in 5200 which in retrospect should have used 101 or Life Caulk. Double clamp the hoses and Bob's your uncle as they say.

Paul