Anybody test their foulies at the Annapolis Sailboat Show?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

M. R. Bober

Anybody test their foulies at the Annapolis Sailboat Show?

Post by M. R. Bober »

The fair and lovely & I were out of town, but conditions were pretty dirty. Did anyone get to the boatshow?

FWIW: Friday night Ocean City, Md was reporting gust of 62mph. We stayed off of the balcony.

Mitchell Bober
Sunny Annapolis (where foul weather friends have the gear to prove it), MD
CDSOA Founding Member
skairis

Post subject: Anybody test their foulies at the Annapolis Sa

Post by skairis »

Hi Mitch,

At the Ocean Hun? Can ya tell I'm from Baltimore? ;-)) Glad to hear you and Susan were down the ocean. Good thing you stayed off that balcony though. The wind was wippin' up in Annapolis too!

I was there both Thursday and Friday speaking to vendors and securing nice prizes for the Annual Meeting in November.( BTW - thanks for your kind words in the Annual meeting message string.)
It's always amazing how fast the weather can change in Maryland...
On Thursday, I was wearing sandals and light weight attire though everything was quite gray. The threat of what was to come was already looming large. By the time I returned mid day on Friday. I was wearing heavy weight clothes in several layers toped by a rain jacket, warm socks and duck shoes. At 5:30 PM I went back to the car and pulled out my winter coat with a zip-out lining and left the lining in!

I was trying to wrap things up around 6:50 PM and was out at Tents K & L talking to Garmin and XM WX Satellite Radio. While I was watching a demo I could see the changing weather pattern all the way into DC -- each bar on a line represented 10 knots of wind...several had 4, 5 and a few showed 6! The lights in the tents were swaying and blinking on and off as the wind was blowing into the harbor and pushing the display tent walls straight into the tents and knocking things over.

In spite of the weather, vendors reported that both days were , They would add Thursday people took advantage of the weather and looked at boats...but dressed for the weather and were there to buy on Friday! Speaking for myself, I made several trips back and forth to my car to drop things off and once to change to a warmer coat.

I wasn't able to get back down on Saturday or Sunday. Saturday there were still some drizzles in the area. Sudnay's weather was great cool, bright, and clear with a bit of Fall in the area looked like it ws the best day of all.

See you on November 4th and 5th. Remember Saturday Nov 4th registration begins at 10:00 AM at the Double Tree (use to be the Radisson) in Annapolis.

Sharon Kairis
________
PLYMOUTH BARRACUDA
Last edited by skairis on Feb 13th, '11, 14:04, edited 1 time in total.
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Sorry I missed you

Post by Joe Myerson »

Hi Mitch and Sharon,

I was at the show Thursday afternoon (the rain held off) and most of Friday, when I got to test my foulies. (The arms seem to leak.)

I didn't know you were there, but I did connect with Bill Watson at the "Good Old Boat" booth. When I wasn't wandering around talking to vendors, I was hanging out at the Chesapeake Bay Magazine booth, on one of the "bridges."

My magazine, "Offshore," is owned by Dick Royer, who also owns Chesapeake Bay Magazine.

It was my first time at the waterfront in Annapolis--what a great sailing town! My one earlier visit was to the CBM office on the outskirts of town, near the source of Back Creek but not very near the harbor.

--Joe
Last edited by Joe Myerson on Oct 9th, '06, 15:52, edited 1 time in total.
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
Kittiwake

Monday is the day

Post by Kittiwake »

Good description of Thursday and Friday at the SailBoat show. They had some significant flooding Sat at high tide. Today is the day to be there, 70 degrees, bright sunshine, and relatively few people. I'm drying Kittiwake out, and had lunch with Andy Denmark and a friend.

Will try to get over to Pusser's for the breakdown this afternoon, always an amazing process to see how fast they can get everyone out of there!

Peace and Fair Winds, Bill
Bill Watson
Bill Cochrane
s/v Phoenix

Went on Saturday...

Post by Bill Cochrane »

...we were going to go on Friday but the wx looked a bit much. Light wx foulies on Saturday, only needed in the morning, but still a bit breezy. Should have worn sailing boots...high tide on Saturday coupled with the strong winds for a couple of days pushing water to the eastern shore meant a few inches of water in several areas.

Didn't stop us from buying Phoenix a few presents...funny how fast the boat units can trickle (rush?) out....
Ron M.

Post by Ron M. »

We sailed into Annapolis last Thurs. and got a slip in Back Creek. The weather steadily deteriorated into Fri. and Sat.Went to the show Fri. in full rain gear, attendance was good. At times it felt the tents were going to take off with the high winds. My first visit,neat town- anyplace that has fresh crab is ok by me.
________
CHRYSLER DR PLATFORM