New Boat Owner needs advise!

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

grania
Owner-Aine

New Boat Owner needs advise!

Post by grania »

I am a very excited and overwhelmed first time boat owner, and an intermediate but motivated sailor...and as luck would have it, its a Cape Dory thats come into my life! This website seems like a good place for me to begin to get to know other CD owners and seek some advice. What would anyone out there recommend as far as 'HOW TO" resources/books? I have a volvo Penta engine and Im now tackling my first Impeller change. Dont laugh...Im told its easy but...this is new to me! And I'll be getting her ready for the cold Boston winter. Where to begin?! I have only sailed her 3 times as I just got her in mid-Sept. Alas! I cant wait until next spring! Might get one or two more sails in before the frost hits. Well, thats my introduction...Id love to hear from you.
Aine
chase

no laughing here!

Post by chase »

Aine,

You've come to the right place; this board is a grand resource for sailors. I've tackled lots of new tasks armed with the knowledge of this group, but changing impellers isn't one of them. You’re likely not the only one who will benefit from the responses.

In regards to being overwhelmed, take note of the search feature on the board website. Many questions have been asked before, so there is a huge knowledge base in the archives.

Welcome aboard, hope you enjoy your new boat!

Chase
Bob Maguire
Anacortes, WA

Impeller Change

Post by Bob Maguire »

Aine

Is your Volvo engine the MD7? I have just repowered my CD30 and no longer have the old engine but do still have the Owners Manual which I was going to discard. In it there are good directions on checking and changing the impeller. I would be more than happy to send the manual your way if you could give me a mailing address.

Bob Maguire
rtbates

congrats

Post by rtbates »

Aine:

Congratulation on your FIRST boat, especially a Cape Dory.

First, I'd get an engine manual. It should detail the particulars of your engine's maintenance needs.

Second, I'd replace the impeller cover with a "Speed Seal". No tools required to remove the cover. English product. Do a google search, it'll come up.

You're 100% correct, this is a great board.

best wishes on your new boat.
Randy 25D Seraph #161
bottomscraper

Many Engine Manuals Online Here!

Post by bottomscraper »

Many of the engine manuals can be found right here on the CDSOA web site:

http://www.capedory.org/cdsoalook-group ... inemanuals

Here is a link to the Speedseal web site:

http://www.speedseal.com/speedseal.html
Rich Abato
Nordic Tug 34 Tanuki

Previous Owner Of CD36 Mahalo #163

Southern Maine
http://www.sailmahalo.com
Kittiwake

Second on the Speedseal

Post by Kittiwake »

I totally agree - after most of a morning getting the original impeller cover off the MD7A - the speedseal went right on. You can take it off in about 60 seconds, and replace it almost that fast, even if you can't see it.
Peace and Fair Winds, Bill
Bill Watson
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

Congrats on the new boat and welcome to the board. Watch for me on Boston Harbor!
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Dick Barthel

Speedseal

Post by Dick Barthel »

Aine:

You could wait until the spring to put a new impeller in. Just winterize your engine by disconnecting the water intake hose at the pump and drop it into a bucket of antifreeze and run your engine until you see the antifreeze coming out the exhaust.

Order you speedseal and you'll have it to replace the old cover when you change you impeller. There are two advantages to waiting. (1) the old impeller will keep some of the antifreeze from flowing back out of the system and (2) the new impeller won't needlessly be sitting in its formed position unused for 6 months.

When you do change it note which direction the impeller blades are going and make sure you duplicate that direction when you install the new one. You can preshape it by using a hose clamp put half way on to the impeller. When you have it properly shaped just slide it into the housing and you're all set.

It is a rare question that doesn't get answered by this board. You'll find it to be an unbelievable resource and its the best first place to start whenever you have a question. Congratulations and welcome to the club. Be sure to keep us posted on your experiences.

Dick
Duncan Maio

Congratulations, and what Dick said

Post by Duncan Maio »

I can't speak to the degree of difficulty of an impeller change on a Volvo, but it's a pain on a Yanmar YSE-8. I love my new Speedseal, though - it came right away, and slicked right in. I ordered a few extra O rings, and, because I know my limitations, two extra knobs to replace the ones I am sure to drop in the bilge someday.

Go sailing now. The speedseal will be a great spring project for you, on one of those days when it's too wet or cold to varnish.
Duncan Maio
s/v Remedy
CD27 #37
Bristol, RI
Michael Abramson
Yorktown, VA

Welcome from another Intrepid owner!

Post by Michael Abramson »

Welcome aboard! I have the same boat and have done virtually every job that can be done, short of rebuilding the engine, so I am happy to help if you have specific questions.

The impeller job is usually a piece of cake. Drop in through the starboard cockpit locker and the pump will be just to the right of the opening. The cover has about 6 small screws, from memory. Unless one breaks or there is some other problem, I would forget the Speedseal and save the money for some more pressing issue.
You will only do this job once a year or so and it takes little time to remove the cover.

Once the cover is off, just pull out the old impeller with needlesnose pliers, noting the direction that the rubber impeller blades take inside the pump body. Jabsco and others make impellers for far less than the Volvo ones, make sure you get the small paper gasket that goes between the cover and the body.
I think there is a small screw that holds the impeller to the shaft (it has been a couple years since I did this job). If the old impeller has no missing blades and no obvious cracks, you can reinstall or at least save as a spare.

Install the new impeller the same way the old one came out, add the gasket with a thin smear of gasket goo, and reinstall the cover.
Be gentle with the screws. Test for leaks afterwards.

Other things to check when you do this:

1. The sea water enters the port side of the transmission and circulates through a water jacket that cools the gearbox and then comes out on the water pump side. Check this hose is good and that the metal fitting is not corroding. The one on the pump side is ferrous and can dissolve to nothingness. If you have to pull off the metal pipe that goes from gearbox to water pump, make sure you have the rubber seals, which are (1) 829714 and (1) 831960.

2. While the impeller is out, briefly crack open the raw water seacock to make sure you have a good flow, which will pour out the pump body. A helper will be needed to open and close it while you watch.

3. Check over the metal pump outlet pipe, which comes out of the top and goes forward. If it has to be removed for any reason, you will also need special seals for it (3) 829714 (same as above).

If you have a water flow issue after doing this, then check the thermostat at the forward end of the exhaust manifold. It would be the next most likely cause.

Feel free to shoot me an email if you need help.

Michael
grania
Owner-Aine

Impeller

Post by grania »

Hi Michael-thanks for your reply-wow-this is what I need-lots of detail and advice. I went ahead and changed the impeller-it really was easy. But when I was reinstalling the lid, using the old screws-my mistake, the head just snapped off the first screw, leaving the rest of it buried in the casing. To get it out I think I need to remove the whole pump and drill the screw out. I could never get a drill into the tiny space between the pump and the 'muffler' tank, so the only alternative I can think of is to lift the pump out. So this has turned out to be a bigger job. Oh well, Im getting to know this boat in detail! I may be writing again-you seem to know this engine well. Thanks! Aine
Aine
Michael Abramson
Yorktown, VA

Now is the time for Speedseal!

Post by Michael Abramson »

See above about considering a Speedseal rather than removing the pump! The pump fits into an internal seal that could weep after removal. I think the Speedseal only uses 2 of the existing pump holes, but others who have one could speak to that. If so, you could ignore the broken screw.

If it was on my boat, I would first try it with using only the 5 remaining screws, it may not leak. If it leaked, I would jury rig a small drill bit in a chuck and turn it by hand until the old screw is drilled out. Or make an identical but thicker cover plate to reinforce the old one and use it as a strongback to hold the original one in place after locating some longer screws.

If you happen to determine the thread pitch, let me know, I'd like to buy 6 spare screws! Thanks.

Michael
Kittiwake

Re: Impeller

Post by Kittiwake »

grania wrote:Hi Michael-thanks for your reply-wow-this is what I need-lots of detail and advice. I went ahead and changed the impeller-it really was easy. But when I was reinstalling the lid, using the old screws-my mistake, the head just snapped off the first screw, leaving the rest of it buried in the casing. To get it out I think I need to remove the whole pump and drill the screw out. I could never get a drill into the tiny space between the pump and the 'muffler' tank, so the only alternative I can think of is to lift the pump out. So this has turned out to be a bigger job. Oh well, Im getting to know this boat in detail! I may be writing again-you seem to know this engine well. Thanks! Aine
When I snapped off one of the old screws - we did remove the whole pump, and then could take the cover off once the other screws were out. We were able to grab the end of the screw once the cover was off, and with a pair of vicegrips were able to get the rest of the screw out. The speedseal for the MD7A requires 4 holes for their knurled head bolds. While I've never had to replace an impeller except while tied up, the speedseal is so easy to get on and off that it is the best way to go (IMHO)
Bill Watson
Paul D.

Post by Paul D. »

Aine,

Welcome to the best bulletin board on the web. In fact, it is my model for all boards and it just happens to represent the best use of the internet I have ever seen.

You will get lots of advice here. My advice is to get a couple books. The two (and I have read FAR too many boat books!) that I think best work for boat owners like us are

Boatowners Mechanical and Electrical Manual by Nigel Calder and This Old Boat by Don Casey. As an old surveyor said, "Every piece of boat advice is 100% bullsh%$, Except for Don Casey, he is only 75%." I have found that on every project I have done, Casey and Calder both offer good guidance and detail enough for the average Joe to do a good job. Between the two, they will help you with everything you will most likely need to do.

Best of luck with your new baby and enjoy the winter. We have a long one up here so we get into the mode of boatdreaming. It is kind of an action verb in our home.

Paul
Dick Barthel

9M Story

Post by Dick Barthel »

Aine,

I think lots agree with Paul's assessment of our board and the reading material he suggests. For pleasure and learning you might also consider subscribing to Good Old Boat magazine.

I was almost going to ask what is a Cape Dory 9M but I found it on our website. I was not aware CD made such a boat. It would be interesting to know more of the 9M's history. Was it an attempt to keep the company going when the traditional full keel boats were lacking sales?

Dick