broadband on board question

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Mike C

broadband on board question

Post by Mike C »

Has anyone travelled up the intercoastal water-way from the Key West to Sandy Hook with a broadband on board. How was your reception? I have been getting some conflicting information from some of the companies that offer broad band service. Example: one company told me that if I connected to the weather channel I would be disconnected.

Mike
Scott MacCready
Location: Previous Owner of CD30-ketch, CD26 #29, and CD25 #635 Hulls Cove,ME

Post by Scott MacCready »

I can vouch for at least my little portion of the icw. I live-aboard in Beaufort,NC. The marina that I'm staying at has free wifi that is easily accessessible from the anchorage in Towne Creek. In addition, from the Anchorages on the other side of town, there at at least 2 other free wifi signals that can be picked-up; one from a coffee shop, and another from the Beaufort Docks. Just north of us on the ICW in Oriental, there is another free signal from the coffee shop adjacent to the free Town Dock (www.towndock.net). I've found that while you won't have a signal very often while on the move, you can usually pick up a signal at most of the towns along the way.
jerryaxler

wi-fi

Post by jerryaxler »

Most libraries have free wi-fi. In addition, Annapolis has free wi-fi throughout the town.
Fairwinds and following seas,
Jerry Axler
Kittiwake

Annapolis to Key West

Post by Kittiwake »

Last year I spent 7 months from Annapolis to Key West and back, all inside. In general, I could find decent wifi at anchor or in a slip at least 4 nights a week. Many of the smaller towns have wifi, or coffee shop, or as pointed out, libraries with hard connections that can be used for a short period of time at no charge. In the larger cities (Charleston, etc), there was even less difficulty finding a connection.

Some of the marinas have commercial services, with varying rates.

I did find that I became less concerned about whether or not I could always get a connection, and spent much less time online. Have pretty much decided not to get a Verizon card, etc, so that I can connect anytime I have cell coverage (which was about 90 percent of the time).

Peace and Fair Winds, Bill
Bill Watson
Warren S

Cape Dory 270 Hull #5

Washington, NC

Correct me if I'm wrong...

Post by Warren S »

I think "broadband" refers to those new cards you can get that will connect you to the internet via the cell-phone network, instead of through WiFi access points. Essentially, if you have cell coverave, you have internet. THis would offer greater coverage than having to be within range of a hot spot (coffee shop, etc.).

My company just issued me Verizon's version, which works great, but haven't had a chance to install it in Morveren's laptop.
vjasinski

ICW WiFi

Post by vjasinski »

We have travelled the icw for the last two seasons and have found a fair amount of WiFi access. We have had limited success with the wireless card on our laptop, however. Often detect multiple, un-secure networks, but can not connect. I just heard about a new wireless card/antenna called the 'WaveRV, by Radio Labs. Have not seen in use, but have heard good comments about increased range. A bit pricey, but we feel it may be worth the cost.
Al Levesque

Broadband

Post by Al Levesque »

I have been e-mailing my brother who is traveling south and is somewhere near Cape Hatteras at the moment. Since the e-mail sits until he downloads it I don't have any problem. Regarding connecting when he gets away from shore, he says that it is about as good as his cell phone. I need to find out more about what he is using since I am not sure he isn't doing it through his cell phone.
Al Levesque

Broadband update

Post by Al Levesque »

I verified that he is using a computer card and going direct for his connection. On the other hand, he reports that it is not very broadband. Near more densely populated areas his speeds were slightly better than typical dial-up. In less populated areas the speeds were less than dial-up.

Again, he has been operating just off the coast, not in the ICW which could be slightly better. His coastal range so far has been from MA to SC.
vjasinski

Post by vjasinski »

I found the following while browsing recently: EnGenius EUB-362 Wireless USB adaptor. Seems more reasonably priced ($50-60)then the WaveRV I mentioned above. Does anyone have any experience with this?