removal of mast collar on cabin top

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

tgilson

removal of mast collar on cabin top

Post by tgilson »

I am unable to find construction drawings with a detail of the mast collar on the cabin top for a keel step CD 33. I would like to remove it in order to have it cleaned and refinished. However, without removing the interior liner, I cannot tell whether the bolts holding the collar in place are "nutted" on the inside or if there is a structural plate it screws into. My fear is that I will unscrew the bolts only to find that I now must disassemble the entire interior of the boat to refasten them. The collar appears to also be caulked in place (possible 5200?). Has anyone removed one of these things and is it a real challenge?
Leonard Lookner

mast collar

Post by Leonard Lookner »

WE tried to remove the mast collar from our 33 and found that it had been installed with 5200 making it practically impossible to remove.We ended up breaking the collar off and having a stainless one built to replace the collar. We never removed the sleeve. We put u brackets around the collar to hold spare halyards and to some day use for turning blocks to direct lines to the cockpit.