pocket size weather fax.

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Mike C

pocket size weather fax.

Post by Mike C »

I don't know why I didn't think of this with all the electronic toys on this sailboat of mine. BUT, today a small 26 foot sailboat came to the marina dock and he had one electronic device and only one. It was a tiny 7 inch portable computer. It had a built in full function GPS, and weather fax. It had email and included a phone service. Now how come I did not know about before I went and spent good money on four electronic toys for the price he paid for one. :cry:
Russell

Post by Russell »

Your seperate systems are actually better, even if more expensive. If you have everything in one, then if it breaks you lose everything.
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
Joe CD MS 300
Location: Cape Dory Motor Sailor 300 / "Quest" / Linekin Bay - Boothbay Harbor

Post by Joe CD MS 300 »

Mike,

Do you know the make / name of the unit. Don't tease me.

Joe
Better to find humility before humility finds you.
Mike C

TV on board

Post by Mike C »

I got from him this, they are listed under pocket PC. he has a broadband card and is connected with NOAA . The computer came from Epsion and will be on the market this christmas but he said Itronix (spelling) and Panasonic has a rough house marine casing also. He has a DVD player on the side slot that also plays music disks. In the computer he has both Vonage and Skype so almost all phone calls are free. He can even watch Bloomberg, CNN and CBS on internet TV, The GPS card fits in its hot-swap card slot.

I was stunned that he had it all together in a box no bigger that a school lunch box. All for less than a $740.00 I spend a couple hours researching this today. I am sending for information on all the different systems that can work togther. Perhaps it is time to put computers on small boats. (meaning less than 50 feet)

Mike
Boyd

I want to know more about this.

Post by Boyd »

Hi Mike:

Can you post the configuration when you get it all puzzeled out. I would love to have something like this. With MapQuest and the free downloadable charts from NOAA this could be great.

Boyd
s/v Tern
CD30 MkII
Fort Lauderdale, Fla.