CNG - Puget Sound source?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Michael Ellis

CNG - Puget Sound source?

Post by Michael Ellis »

Our new (new to us) Cape Dory 330 came with CNG bottles. Do any Puget Sound region Cape Dory owners know where to get the bottles filled?
Parfait's Provider
berthed Whortonsville, NC

Are they certified?

Post by Parfait's Provider »

If the bottles haven't been certified in the last 5 years, then that will be where you have to start. I'll bet the certifying agent can tell you where to get them filled if he can't do it himself. Check out companies that supply welders or certify fire extinguishers. One source in Seattle is http://www.fuelwerks.com/interest.htm
Keep on sailing,

Ken Coit, ND7N
CD/36 #84
Parfait
Raleigh, NC
Steve Laume

Bottle exchange

Post by Steve Laume »

When I got my boat it had two CNG bottles. One had about 1000LBS in it. When I went to switch after running out, while cooking, I found the other was empty. THANKS. The only fortunate thing is we got the boat very late in the season and had all winter to work on the problem. I tried our local welding gas supplier, thinking they had just about any gas you could put in a bottle. NO natural gas. Living in CT, I naturally assumed CT Natural Gas would be a good source of gas. How wrong I was. The lady on the phone argued with me that I had propane. Once I finally convinced her that it was CNG she told me they had no way to fill my tanks but that all of their vehicles did run on the stuff. I got a hold of the maintainance guy and he told me that they did fill their own tanks but had no way of billing me so they could not fill mine. I was starting to think I might be using sterno for the upcoming season when I asked at our marina. Donna gave me a number for another marina just over the border in RI. When I got there looking to have my bottles filled and wondering about the hydrostat date the girl at the counter just walked me around back of the building to a little shed. When she unlocked it there were a whole bunch of gas bottles. She took my old ones and gave me two full ones! Now I get it. CNG works on a bottle exchange program so you will have a very hard time trying to find someone to fill them. Somewhere on the internet I found a sight that listed all the exchange centers in the country. I printed this out thinking if I ever ran out while away from home I would have a list. Unfortunately it is on the boat. If you can't find the site I can get it next time I am on the boat. I like the whole idea of CNG and just switching bottles is pretty easy once you find out where, Steve.
Joe CD MS 300
Location: Cape Dory Motor Sailor 300 / "Quest" / Linekin Bay - Boothbay Harbor

CNG Supplier List

Post by Joe CD MS 300 »

This is the list I found when I was looking for suppliers last year when I first purchased our boat. CNG is a little more of a hassel when it comes to finding suppliers. But the safety issue makes up for it. Plus to convert to propane you must deal with the issue of where to put the tanks if you don't have a dedicated propane locker.

http://www.safgas.com/locations.html

Joe
Better to find humility before humility finds you.
Michael Ellis

Search for CNG bottle exchange

Post by Michael Ellis »

So far my attempts to find a list of exchange sites for CNG bottles has turned up nothing. If you do get to your boat sometime soon I would appreciate receiving your list. Thanks.
Parfait's Provider
berthed Whortonsville, NC

For the Record

Post by Parfait's Provider »

Just for the record, Public Service of NC here in Raleigh will fill your tanks if they have been certified. The maintenance guys are the ones to call; the switchboard hasn't known in the past. There used to be an exchange outlet in Beaufort, but I don't think they passed the business on to anyone when they folded. Their bottles didn't look as good as the ones I have and they were out of date, so I passed.

I am about out of CNG in one bottle, so I'll be going through all that again soon. This time I am going to use my fire extinguisher guy for the certification since he has the equipment on site and I won't have to wait for National Welder's Suppply to get enough tanks together to make a truckload run to their certification facility in Greensboro.

PSNC used to fill the tanks for free, but I guess the accountants pointed out the labor costs and made them increase the process difficulty to account for all that time. Takes about 10 minutes once you find the maintenance garage. Last time they charged $15 for a tank which lasts us a couple of years.
Keep on sailing,

Ken Coit, ND7N
CD/36 #84
Parfait
Raleigh, NC
Troy Scott

CNG supply

Post by Troy Scott »

Joe,

I called the Mobile, AL number and the New Orleans, LA number from your SAFGAS list. Mobile no longer handles it and N.O. doesn't answer (not a surprise). I would still like to find a way to use CNG....... Anybody?
Regards,
Troy Scott
David Hest

CNG map

Post by David Hest »

I found this map site, which lists public CNG vendors in Baton Rouge (Troy) and Seattle (Michael) when searched. No idea whether these are for real, but may be worth checking.

Here is the site: http://find.mapmuse.com/re1/interest.php?brandID=CNG&

Good luck,

David
Michael Ellis

Found CNG

Post by Michael Ellis »

Thanks for everyone's help. A fellow CD 330 owner (actually the owner of the CD 330 that convinced me I wanted a CD 330) told me exchange bottles of CNG were available in Winslow on Bainbridge Island, where he keeps his boat.
Bill Cochrane
s/v Phoenix

CNG Web Link

Post by Bill Cochrane »

These folks are still pushing CNG for marine use, their web site has a list of exchange sites:

http://www.corpbrothers.com/marine.htm
Troy Scott

CNG availability, or not

Post by Troy Scott »

Bill,

WRT Corp Brothers CNG, apparently the website hasn't been updated in a LONG time. Many of the area codes are wrong. After correcting the area code, I called the number they listed in Mobile, Alabama. I got Mobile Ship Chandlery, not Mobile Gas. Interestingly, Mobile Ship Chandlery is the same company Safgas listed in Mobile. The Chandlery doesn't handle CNG for either company, and hasn't for years. I've written to Corp Brothers to see if/how I can work with them. They claim to have a UPS based exchange program. We'll see......
Regards,
Troy Scott
John Vigor

Puget Sound CNG distributors

Post by John Vigor »

Michael, there are 11 CNG distributors in the Puget Sound area,
and more than that north of the border in Canada.

Go to www.suremarine.com for a chart of their locations. You'll find the CNG button on the left of their home page.

Cheers,

John V.
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

CNG cylinder exchange

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

Michael,

CLICK HERE for a list of CNG fueling stations on Puget Sound.

And, here's a list of where you can exchange cylinders in Washington. (CLICK HERE for more info and cylinders in other states that use Corp Brothers supplies.):
  • WASHINGTON

Anacortes - Skyline Marine. (360) 293-5134
    Anacortes - First Mate Marine(360) 293-3643
    Bainbridge Island - The Chandelery (206) 842-7245
    Everett - Harbor Marine Maintenance (425) 259-3285
    Gig Harbor - Yacht Service (206) 419-2144
    Laconner - Boaters Discount (360) 466-3540
    Olympia - Boston Marine. (253) 357-5670
    Port Townsend - Fleet Marine (360) 385-4000
    Seattle - Sure Marine Service (206) 784-9903
    Seattle - Shilshole FUel Dock (206) 783-7555
    Seattle - West Marine. (206) 292-8663
Many taxi and bus fleets are powered by CNG -- even those brown USP trucks. You can try checking with them to see if they'll refill or exchange your cylinders -- don't know if they will but it's worth looking into.

Also, the Port of Seattle has a CNG station that is open to the public -- near the airport. It's for vehicles but they may refill or exchange your cylinders. Give 'em a call and find out. CLICK HERE for additional info.

Hope this helps,
Cathy
CD32 Realization, #3
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay