Webmaster , a question

Discussion about how to use this board's software features and the CDSOA's website in general

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Ron Turner
Oriental, NC

Webmaster , a question

Post by Ron Turner »

In the search mode, I have several entries that match my criteria. After viewing one I seem to have to restart the search all over again to look at other posts. Am I doing something wrong or..?
Ron Turner
Parfait's Provider
berthed Whortonsville, NC

Not Webmaster

Post by Parfait's Provider »

Ron,

Thank the heavens I am not the webmaster, but.........

If you look at one item and want to go back to the list, you ought to be able to just hit the left arrow button at the top left corner just below "file." Alternatively, if you have been wandering around the web after that first interesting list entry, there is a small down arrow to the right of the aforementioned left arrow; there you will find a short history of where you have been and you can select one. If the list isn't deep enough, go to the bottom one and do it all again.
Keep on sailing,

Ken Coit, ND7N
CD/36 #84
Parfait
Raleigh, NC
Ron Turner
Oriental, NC

Page expired

Post by Ron Turner »

When I use the back button I get a page expired message.
Ron Turner
Marc Theriault

Use the right button of your mouse.

Post by Marc Theriault »

Ron,

Do your search and when you want too "expand" a tread that's please you ; use the right button of your mouse and choose "open in a new window", this way you will keep your "search page".

Marc
Didereaux

if you do this....

Post by Didereaux »

Ron,
If you are using IE(arrgh) you can right click your selection and pick view in a new window, if you are running FireFox or Opera you cna right click and view in a new tab: ether way you preserve the search window and simply close the views when done with each.

g'Luk
Didereaux- San Leon, TX
last owner of CD-25 #183 "Spring Gail"
"I do not attempt to make leopards change their spots...after I have skinned them, they are free to grow 'em back or not, as they see fit!" Didereaux 2007
Parfait's Provider
berthed Whortonsville, NC

Firefox

Post by Parfait's Provider »

Ron,

Sorry, I forgot I was using Firefox! I used to avoid it, but now that I have this fast computer with XP, it seems be working flawlessly. Next step is to get rid of Outlook Express.
Keep on sailing,

Ken Coit, ND7N
CD/36 #84
Parfait
Raleigh, NC
Ron Turner
Oriental, NC

Thanks Marc

Post by Ron Turner »

Open new window does the trick. Has the search program always been that hard?
You know what they say.. You can lead an old dog to water but you can't make him walk on it..or can you?
Ron Turner
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

"Open in New Window"....

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

Hi Ron,
Ron Turner wrote:In the search mode, I have several entries that match my criteria. After viewing one I seem to have to restart the search all over again to look at other posts. Am I doing something wrong or..?
The Search utility leaves ALOT to be desired. I don't particularly like it either but we haven't found a better one yet that'll work with this board. Anyway, Didereaux made the best suggestion. Once the Search results appear, rather than just clicking on a topic to view it, Right-Click instead and select "Open in New Window" from the pop-up menu. When you're finished reading the messages in that topic, Close it. Then you can select the next topic of interest from the Search results and open it using the same method. Wish I had a better answer, but I just don't.

Also, I've moved this topic to the "About this Board" forum. Don't forget to use that forum for questions/comments concerning the use of the message board.

Cathy
CDSOA Webmaster
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

...or Click on "Retry"....

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

Ron,
Cathy Monaghan wrote:....The Search utility leaves ALOT to be desired. I don't particularly like it either but we haven't found a better one yet that'll work with this board. Anyway, Didereaux made the best suggestion. Once the Search results appear, rather than just clicking on a topic to view it, Right-Click instead and select "Open in New Window" from the pop-up menu. When you're finished reading the messages in that topic, Close it. Then you can select the next topic of interest from the Search results and open it using the same method. Wish I had a better answer, but I just don't........

Cathy
CDSOA Webmaster
If you forget to Right-Click and just open a topic from the Search results by clicking on it you should still be able to get back to your Search results by using your browser's Back button. Click on the Back button then click on "Retry" NOT "Cancel". That should work but sometimes it doesn't so using "Open in New Window" is still the better choice.

Cathy
CDSOA Webmaster
mgphl52

If you have a three-button mouse...

Post by mgphl52 »

The middle button can be configured to auto-magically open the link in either a new tab or new window. Many mice with scroll-wheels use the a press of the scroll-wheel as the "middle" button.

Hope this helps!
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!