Mooring chain

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Bob Mial

Mooring chain

Post by Bob Mial »

I noticed that my upper mooring chain has either worn or corroded badly. It's only been in the water 3 years but perhaps that's the life expectancy of chain in salt water. The lower chain and the lower part of the upper chain are in good shape, leading me to believe that the chain thats in the mud is not getting the oxygen that leads to corrosion. If that's the case, would it make sense to put rope from the mooring ball to the chain during the off season to let the entire chain rest in the mud?

Any solutions would be appreciated.
Jim Sullivan
Location: Past owner of '71 and '73 CD Typhoon; '83 CD22D. Current owner of M/V ATEA IV, 21' lobster boat.

Post by Jim Sullivan »

Bob:

Three years is about right for the upper chain. I attach a 3/4" nylon pendant of appropriate length with galv. thimble in each end between the upper chain and my winter stick (cedar pole). This keeps all of the chain on the bottom. I would recommend that you use a winter stick in place of a mooring float during the winter. I am located in RI.

:) Jim
Al Levesque

Post by Al Levesque »

If you do your own mooring work it is worthwhile to change the upper chain end for end each year or each other year.
Maine Sail

Bob it's the law here in Falmouth, ME

Post by Maine Sail »

that the mooring be "winterized" each fall. Winterizing consists of removing the ball and replacing it with a cedar log or "winter stick" and dropping the chain to the bottom so it gets less oxygen and does not wear the links prematurely. The log is tied to the end of the chain with nylon rope. Just the action of having the chain hanging from the ball wears the point where the two links meet plus there is more oxygen up on top of the water leading to more rust..
-Maine Sail
CS-36T
Broad Cove, Maine

My Marine How To Articles