Typhoon differences

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

tstafford

Typhoon differences

Post by tstafford »

Looking at many pictures of CD Typhoons I noticed differences in where the rudder post enters the cockpit. Some are flush, and some have a small fiberglass tower built around the rudder shaft. Why the deference in manufacturing? Any problems with either arrangement?

Thanks,

Trevor
Serge Zimberoff
"Cloning Around"
Lake Sonoma, CA

Ty cockpit tiller interface

Post by Serge Zimberoff »

I'm not sure if the fiber glass tower you have seen is original or not. None of the Ty weekenders I have seen have that. However...that said, it would be a good idea in my opinion.

I have always felt that the seal around the rudder post on the cockpit sole is the single most likely point of water entry below. I have made a new teak surround that is bedded with 1/8" rubber gasket that makes a pretty good seal around the post. But the emphasis is on the words 'pretty good'. Still get water below if it rains hard enough to get above the 1" teak.

Serge
Keith Wood

Post by Keith Wood »

My 1973 Typhoon Weekender has the raised step or tower where the rudder post passes through the cockpit sole, but on my '77 Weekender the post passes through level with the sole, except for the 1" thick teak collar.
Bob Mial

Post by Bob Mial »

My 71 (#158) Ty also has the raised fiberglass for the rudder post. It strikes me that that's the best option for keeping water out and reducing maintenance.

Another change in the Ty's at some point was to add a bumper strip of teak just b elow the toe rail. I can see pros and cons with this item. Mine does not have it.