Painting topsides with Interlux Perfection

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Mike Davis

Painting topsides with Interlux Perfection

Post by Mike Davis »

I am ready to paint my boat, having sanded filled in all the dings and cleaned her up. Has anyone done a paint job using interlux perfection? How well did the job come out? Thanks, Mike Davis :)
Troy Scott

Interlux Perfection roll and tip

Post by Troy Scott »

Folks,

I was just about to post a request for input when I came across this post from Mike. Apparently nobody has responded. I would like to know whether this paint, applied using the roll and tip method, would produce a smooth, classy finish. I could temporarily convert my hangar to a spray booth, but I would rather roll and tip this paint if I can expect superior results. Not that superior results are always attained by spraying.....; There are certainly pitfalls with that method as well! I've sprayed and fought fish eyes and buffed out orange peel enough to know spraying isn't necessarily the answer. I just want some input to reassure me that the "roll and tip" method isn't just hype about results which can't be expected in the real world.
Regards,
Troy Scott
Paul D.

Post by Paul D. »

Greetings,

I have not used this method but Don Casey, one of the few boat experts I truly trust has a treatise on this very topic in a past issue of Good Old Boat magazine. When I have followed his instructions for other projects they have worked out as expected and I know plenty of folks who have gained professional results with a roll and tip method.

Make sure no short cuts are taken with the prep work and the environment is perfect for the application though!

All the best,
Paul
andy
Location: Cape Dory 30 Ketch, Lake Winnipesaukee, New Hampshire

perfection

Post by andy »

I just finished painting our CD30K about amonth ago.

Perfection is amazing!

It was applied over three coated of primer with sanding between coats. the perfection was applied (2 coats, sanded 220 grit between) with a roller, very short nap, and was not tipped.

I rolled very slowly with very little paint on the roller. there were bubbles immediately after rolling but they disappeared within seconds to a smooth glossy finish.

Everyone at the club thought it was sprayed professionally.

Thats my experience! YMMV.

Andy
Watermark II
Phil Shedd
Rothesay NB Canada
Membership # 89

Post by Phil Shedd »

Andy

Wondering what colour you painted your boat?

Phil
andy
Location: Cape Dory 30 Ketch, Lake Winnipesaukee, New Hampshire

snow white

Post by andy »

Phil,

If i remember correctly, it was snow white.

Andy
Troy Scott

attainable Perfection/ hot dark blue?

Post by Troy Scott »

Folks,

I have the Casey books and others. I've also done a lot of experimenting with various two part paints. But I am grateful for these real-world first-hand reports. I can see how, with the right paint, really excellent results can be obtained using the roll and tip method. Last Summer, after the Maine Boats and Harbors Show, I watched a couple of guys use this technique to paint a large antique wooden boat at Robinhood Marine Center. Unfortunately my schedule didn't allow me to see the finished product after the paint had time to "pull together". My concern has been reducing the value of my boat by leaving obvious brush strokes in the finish.

I really want to paint my topsides flag blue like many of the classic boats we see in the Northeast. I want the cove stripe to be gold leaf and the boot white (or maybe red). I'm thinking mint green for the bottom. The deck will be close to the standard off-white, and the non-skid a light tan or pale gray. Thoughts??

My main concern with the dark blue topsides is solar heat absorption here on the semi-tropical Gulf Coast. Have any of you had experience with the difference in cabin temperatures with dark versus light topsides?
Regards,
Troy Scott
Hymodyne

roll and tip

Post by Hymodyne »

I just painted the topsides and bootstripe with interlux paint and had very good results. based on the weather, you should adjust the length of the sections you choose to paint using the roll and tip method. when in doubt, shorten the area you choose to cover.

topsides=sapphire blue
bootstripe=bristol beige

I should have used three coats of blue instead of two, but the finish was very smooth and reflective.

I'm giong to re-do the work this upcoming spring but using the same product.

hym
Troy Scott

colors and finish

Post by Troy Scott »

hym,

Those colors sound great! Please post a photo.
Regards,
Troy Scott
Ron M.

Roll&tip

Post by Ron M. »

Troy,
As the others have stated, this method will give excellent results but you need to use the right reducer. Interlux has a brushing reducer,(as does Awlgrip etc.)
I sprayed my spars with platinum grey Perfection and found it much less of a hassel to use compared to other 2-part polyurethnes.I think they have a winner with this paint if it is as durable as they claim. It will make it easier for the "weekend warrior" in all of us to achieve a professional looking multi- thousand dollar paint job.
________
Ford Ranger Ev History
Last edited by Ron M. on Feb 11th, '11, 05:26, edited 1 time in total.
SeaBelle
Sea Belle
Hail port: Rockland, ME

Read Tim Lackey's account

Post by SeaBelle »

Tim Lackey used the roll and tip method to paint his hull and deck (using awlgrip) his article here tells the story and includes a telling picture of the results. It's awlgrip rather than perfection but his story is very informative.
Sail on,
Jack
CD28 Sea Belle
Hailport - Rockland, ME

There are old sailors and bold sailors, but there are no old, bold sailors.

Reef early and often. It's easier to shake out a reef when one is bored than it is to tuck one in when one is scared.

When your only tool is a hammer, all your problems look like nails.
Hymodyne

pics of paint

Post by Hymodyne »

I've been looking for a way to post my pics of my paint job.
I've read the guides to this on this site, but have not been able to get anything to work. I am using a Kodak digital and kodak easyshare software on my computer, which has in the past meant that I can send a pic as part of an email or print it, but nothing else. I'm really proud of how the boat came out and would love a suggestion as to how I can post here.

hym
Ron M.

Post by Ron M. »

Hymo, In response to your previous post. You can add a flattening agent to reduce the gloss if you so choose. I have used it on the non-skid areas a number of times.
________
Marijuana trichomes
Last edited by Ron M. on Feb 11th, '11, 05:26, edited 1 time in total.
Phil Shedd
Rothesay NB Canada
Membership # 89

Post by Phil Shedd »

Hym

Try Photobucket.com for your pictures. I could not get Kodak to work.

Phil