Roller furling on stay sail CD 30c?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

wiltsan

Roller furling on stay sail CD 30c?

Post by wiltsan »

Does anyone have a roller furler set up on a CD30c staysail? Is this possible? If so does it work well? Anyone have any pictures?

Scott
Ron M.

Post by Ron M. »

Sure, It can be done. One of these days I'll get around to doing it myself. I have seen a number of CD36's that are set up this way. One is in the harbor here in town. I should go down and take photos- good idea.
________
Spice Weed
Last edited by Ron M. on Feb 11th, '11, 05:25, edited 1 time in total.
Chuck
Galveston Bay, TX

Furler on the CD30C

Post by Chuck »

One of our guys here with the Gulf Coast Fleet has (or had) a roller on his staysail without the boom. But his head sail was too large, maybe a 120, and he constantly had trouble tacking. I've seen him fighting that sail numerous times. So, recently he went "sloop rigged".
I also have the 30 Cutter, with no roller on the staysail. The staysail works well with a yankee, not with a 120. So, I'm Cutter rigged from fall till late spring with fresher breezes, and sloop rigged during the lighter air months of the summer. We were out last Saturday evening on another CD30 Cutter, and with the sea breeze working really well, we were cooking. Over 6 knots to windward, and 6.5 on the way back. One of those terrific sails.
Hope this helps. I personally do not see the need for a furler on the staysail.
Chuck
Gulf Coast Fleet
Chuck
Forrest

Furler on the CD30

Post by Forrest »

I have the CD30 mentioned in Chuck's post. I installed the furler on the staysail for the normal reason (too lazy to raise and bag the sail) and removed the boom because I kept tripping over it.

There's no problem installing the furler or rigging it with or without the boom.

Key points to consider in making "staysail furler" decisions:

1. removing and replacing the staysail furler at the beginning and end of "light air" seasons is work, and requires a helping hand (a Code Zero type furler might help in this regard)

2. assuming frequent removal and replacement of the typical staysail furler is not an option - your choice of headsails is limited to the smaller sizes.

If I had it to do over again, I'd skip the furler.

There's a picture of my rig in 02.08.2006 post on my blog site.

Forrest
Forrest Paddock
Houston, TX
Supporting this site through membership in the CDSOA, Inc. Member 420