Captains License

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Doug Oliver
Bucks Harbor, Maine

Captains License

Post by Doug Oliver »

In an effort to improve my resume for the cruising lifestyle I thought I would study and then take the test for a captains license. There is a class in January a couple of towns over but I thought I might like to do it self study. When I look on Amazon for a study guide they list one but it is only given 3 stars. Does anyone have an opinion on a good Captains License study guide besides Chapmans? Thanks

Doug Oliver
CD 27 Seboomook
Bucks Harbor, Maine
Ron Turner
Oriental, NC

Exam questions

Post by Ron Turner »

Try this link for the questions.

http://www.uscg.mil/stcw/mmic-deckexquest.htm
Ron Turner
Les Bloom
Portsmouth, RI

Six passenger Operator course

Post by Les Bloom »

Hi Doug,

As a former Houston Marine training Services 9 days semiar instructor for five years from 1982-1987( prepped over 1000+ sucessful candiates) from Maine to New York and a part time instructor at Northeast Maritime Institue for many years I can give you my opinion for what it is worth.

There is little or no discipline to home study prep courses, people
do them catch as catch can, and for the most part fail. That does not mean the study material isn't good. Believe me, if you have not been to school in the last few years you do not Know how to study for this.

Take the semiar course Even though it maybe pricecy, The instructor will training and guide you well to do one thing and one thing only,TO PREPARE FOR THE TEST. And then it will be over with.

Several Hints:

Complete all Paper work now before you even enter the classroom. I could write a book on last minute paperwork problems that people have had that they didn't know they had. Make copies of everything you give the C.G.

Had any arrests or convictions, tell the C.G. about it, don't lie.

You can document time on the water on your boat or anyone
else's boat paid or not paid as long as the boat is 19+ ft.

Find out if you are color blind now. Don't waste all this money if you have poor nite vision.

If youhave a buddy that is interested check on discounts.

This will take your concenration for a while, don't plan family events in the middle of this. Make some arragements with your wife & boss for study time alone. This is no easy task,but you can learn a lot, Have fun with a lot of fun with fine people in the same boat,and be quailfied in the end

Who is doing the course up there now?
Les Bloom
tartansailor

Captain's License

Post by tartansailor »

What Ron and Les advanced is commendable indeed, but If I may; consider what you want to do; which I interpret to mean that you want to be proficient in a cruising life style. Right?
Now one of the best advantages of a 6 pack license is that your word will go a long way in an Admiralty court assuming that you can document an incident with well prepared plots and logs.
You definitely do not want to rack your brains just to pass a test.
You want to gain the skills needed for cruise planning. You need to be proficient in celestial navigation, because electronics do fail.
You need to have the skills to keep your boat systems functioning properly. So with that in mind, look into the Power Squadron. If you attain the grade of Navigator, then you will be an iron man in a plastic ship. IMHO. But that will take 4 years, at least.

Dick
Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
Les Bloom
Portsmouth, RI

6 pack license

Post by Les Bloom »

And I very much concur with Dick comments too.
Les Bloom
Doug Oliver
Bucks Harbor, Maine

Thanks for the input.

Post by Doug Oliver »

Les, the guy teaching the class is Rick Kilborn. Your probably right about Rick teaching too the test. My intention with the captains license would be to have a usable trade if I were to stop for awhile to make some money. I have been through some of the power squadron classes and will continue to take more.

Thanks for the input guys and I will take it to heart.

Last night my wife and I sat in the harbor with 2 couples who are cruising. One couple from England and one from New Zealand. They were inspiring.