Going to Cuttyhunk this summer?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Dan & Pat
Location: CD 25 #282: "Play it Again Sam" Fort Lauderdale, FL -

Going to Cuttyhunk this summer?

Post by Dan & Pat »

If any of you CD friends from New England find your self stopping by Cuttyhunk Island this season, I have a request. Send me a nice round beach rock from the Southwest Beach for my Florida Rock Garden please? I have spent countless hours beachcoaming those rocky beaches, listening to the sounds of the rocks rolling over each other in the surf and casting plugs for stripers. It doesn't have to be really big. I'll even pay the shipping fees!

This former Cutthunker hasn't been to the island in close to 15 years, and it doesn't seem like this year will be the one either :cry: . I grew up spending every summer of my life there until I joined the Navy in 1970. My family continued to live there until the mid 1990's. I miss the place dearly.

Dan
Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change.
Steve Laume

Cuttyhunck sand

Post by Steve Laume »

Dan, I was just there for my first two times, out and back on my trip. We walked those cobbles from the harbor mouth all the way to the monument. It was a tough couple of miles. I am sorry to say I didn't pick up any rocks but I am sure I will return soon. Our second day on island we got the grand, golf cart, tour from Donna. I guess she makes a habit of picking people up and showing off her island. She was a treasure, information, transportation and entertainment all rolled into one. Cuttyhuck is a pretty special place, Steve.
Dan & Pat

Donna

Post by Dan & Pat »

You'd be hard pressed not to enjoy a day or so on the island, and Donna Hunter is quite a Cuttyhunk character. Her lineage goes back several generations, and forward at least 2 as I recall. My Mom has cousins who were also Donna's cousins :D . She was raised there, attended the little schoolhouse, and moved back as an adult after high school. I believe her son runs a shuttle ferry back and forth between the mainland and all of the islands.

That's a pleasant walk along the north shore with the view of the mainland if its not too foggy. The Southwest bluff is usually more sunny and breezy.

Dan
Dan & Pat

bump

Post by Dan & Pat »

bump . . . still a few weeks of Summer!
John Edwards
86 Cal 33

cutty hunk rocks

Post by John Edwards »

Dan & Pat

two weeks ago I did get you 4 small cutty hunk rocks to send on, but I need your address!

John Edwards
CD 28 Flybridge
"NEO"
John Edwards
88 CD28 FB
"NEO"
Dan & Pat

Thanks John

Post by Dan & Pat »

Many many thanks for remembering me. We were on vacation last week, drove up to Virginia and back to visit the in-laws. I was sure wishing I was going to the island instead, maybe next year.

Meanwhile, I've e-mailed you my address, and will be looking forward to the new additions to my Florida rock garden!
Dan