Crossed the Gulf, but sadly not in a CD...

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Didereaux

Crossed the Gulf, but sadly not in a CD...

Post by Didereaux »

Luck handed me an expense paid crew job a couple of weeks back. Flew to Ft. Meyers Florida and crewed back a 3 yr old PS Crealock 44. Almost should't call that sailing, two heads w/ hot and cold showers, refridgerators and electric winches no less.

Actually only sailed a few hours on the last night as there was no wind on the Gulf for five straight days. One night on watch I actually identified constellations by there reflections on the water.

The captain was a 20+ year veteran delivery/and race guy. He made me feel good that even the old pros can make some whoppers on occasion. He forgot to check the fuel tanks on leaving and assumed them full as that is what the absent owner had told him...we were nearly out of fuel near the middle of the gulf late the third day. I managed to raise a rig supply boat and they had us pull up alonside and loaded 30 gallons into jerry cans for us. CDould have been a real mess, but the fates were snoozing apparently.

Had my tush chewed out royally one night by an irate porpoise. Now I don't claim to speak their lingo but I could swear that it made reference to some odd desert creatures and what they should do to me and four or five generations of my family tree. Apparently the boat must have bumped it while it was sleeping. It jumped straight up with its head well above the gunnels and let loose with a loooong string, then hit the water and headed out full speed. Another encounter was better though, for the first time ever I got to witness one do a complete triple in the wild. Fantastic!

So the year continues to be up one day and down the other. Did learn of two seperate routes between Galveston and FZlorida that avoid most of the rigs. Because of the fuel and wind shortage el capitan made a course adjusment straigt through the oil patch, all 2 hundred miles of it. There were long stretches where you literally made course adjustments every ten minutes or so to avoid the rigs. and at night you would swear you were somewhere near Hollywood and Vine.

All told it took around five days and averaged 150nm per day. There were three aboard and the shifts were 3-3-2, a schedule that it is fairly easy on everybody.

Have my ear to the tides and eyes peeled for a boat, but as I already said it will probably not take place until late next Spring...sigh.

Until then I'll cadge rides as I can in order to stave off certain rising urge towards 'privateering' . I have a hunch that forged letters of marque won't be looked upon kindly by our erstwhile protectors of the motherland!
heh
Didereaux- San Leon, TX
last owner of CD-25 #183 "Spring Gail"
"I do not attempt to make leopards change their spots...after I have skinned them, they are free to grow 'em back or not, as they see fit!" Didereaux 2007
Warren Kaplan
Location: Former owner of Sine Qua Non CD27 #166 1980 Oyster Bay Harbor, NY Member # 317

Re: Crossed the Gulf, but sadly not in a CD...

Post by Warren Kaplan »

Didereaux wrote:Luck handed me an expense paid crew job a couple of weeks back. Flew to Ft. Meyers Florida and crewed back a 3 yr old PS Crealock 44. Almost should't call that sailing, two heads w/ hot and cold showers, refridgerators and electric winches no less.
Ha! Wasn't it old Nat Herreshoff who said,What's the use of cruising if its the same as staying ashore!

Still, for more than a night or two aboard, bringing some shore like creature comforts along can be nice.

Great narrative. Did you give the "struck porpoise" the name of the boat's insurance carrier so he can collect for medical injuries? I swear those critters are on a par with humans!

You just keep on sailing. Doesn't make a difference at this point that its someone else's boat. There's one of your own waiting for you just around the corner! :D
"I desire no more delight, than to be under sail and gone tonight."
(W. Shakespeare, Merchant of Venice)
Rperlot

Great entertainment.

Post by Rperlot »

"Had my tush chewed out royally one night by an irate porpoise. Now I don't claim to speak their lingo but I could swear that it made reference to some odd desert creatures and what they should do to me and four or five generations of my family tree.
I'm just glad you're still out there posting. For those of us who don't share the gift, the humor in your posts are a rare treat.
tartansailor

Raising the Bar

Post by tartansailor »

Yes, Dider's literary style makes some interesting connections. Hope he gets Cape Dory 25 real soon.

Dick
Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
Mike Johnson

Nice to know you are out sailing

Post by Mike Johnson »

I have been with out a boat for several weeks now, the first time in as long as I can remember. I hope to remedy that soon. Looking at a small day sailor and hope to pick it up next week. A series of family emergencies for my parents, son, sister have chewed up the funds for the boat I wanted but soon I will be back under sail. I am blessed by your postings and so enjoy hearing your joy and love of sailing through your posts. Another envelope will be on its way to you tomorrow.