"Typhoon Outboard Motor"

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Pete S

"Typhoon Outboard Motor"

Post by Pete S »

I know this topic has been covered quite a bit over the years. I have read through all the old posts. But, I would appreciate some current perspectives.
Here is the story, I bought "Pura Vida" a couple of weeks ago. She came with an 04 Johnson 6hp longshaft with practically no hours on it. I put it on this weekend and I absolutely hate it! Lot's of power, but big, ugly and weighs down the back of the boat. Also, I can't tilt it out of the water without altering the motor bracket as there isn't enough throat to clear the shift lever. I would have to shim out the wood. I would do that if I liked the motor on the boat, but I don't so back to the drawing board and research. The motor is for sale and I'm looking into the next motor.
The question is ; if you had to buy a motor for your Ty, what would it be?
I do have some currents to deal with, Westport River is homeport, also Woods Hole, Quicks, Cape Cod Canal etc etc.
I'm currently leaning toward a 4hp Tohatsu/Nissan. I like that it has an internal gas tank and you can still hook up an aux. tank.
I'm quite open to an older motor if the older 4's were lighter than the new 4 cyle ones. Anything other than a Seagull.
Serge Zimberoff
"Cloning Around"
Lake Sonoma, CA

Typhoon outboard

Post by Serge Zimberoff »

Pete...

On a Ty, weight considerations come before everything else!!! I have a 5hp 2 stroke Tohatsu. 44# with tank filled. You want something lighter. The 5hp is way overkill as to power needs. Hopefully someone will post with their success with motors down to 2hp because that is what should be considered if it will handle currents.

Ty's are happier with the least weight possible in bow and stern.

Serge
Bob Schwartz

Engine - Typhoon

Post by Bob Schwartz »

Pete:

I am the proud owner of 2 CD's: Ty and 27. I bought the TY early this year for local sailing (minus a motor). My 27 is on the Gulf of Mexico. I went through the process you are going through by reviewing the posts of TY owners regarding engine size. My impression was that there was a split of opinion between 2hp and 4hp.

I bought a Honda 4 stroke 2hp longshaft. I am very pleased. The only negative is that is a little loud. Otherwise, it pushes the boat at about 4.7 knots. The maximum sustained speed that I have achieved under sail over about a 10 second interval is 5.6 knots as measured by a GPS.

Since hull speed increases with heel (longer effective waterline), I suspect that 4.7 is probably fairly close to upright hull speed.

Big advantages of small motor: fuel consumption, weight, less expense, and ease of pulling the starter cord. Also, you can run at full throttle for cruising speed. I understand that it is not good to underchallenge motors - i.e. run at half power all the time.

I vote strongly for a 2hp. Many others, whose opinions I respect, vote for 4. I do not think there is any doubt but that 6hp is too much.

Happy sailing,

Bob
TY "Ann Marie"
Bob Schwartz
Mike Wainfeld
Bayshore, NY

3hp!

Post by Mike Wainfeld »

No problem-just split the difference! 3hp long shaft yamaha. Best compromise between power and weight. Great little engine.
Mike
mrudman850

Ty Motor

Post by mrudman850 »

Just bought a 4HP Tohatsu for our Weekender and am happy with it. Light enough to tilt up, internal fuel tank and enough power to push the boat when I need it..
Mike & Susan
Northport NY
Bob Mial

Post by Bob Mial »

Sailing in Penobscot Bay my 2hp Honda longshaft has worked out very well. It has enough power to get through the chop and currents and pushes her at about 4.5 knots. Uses very little fuel.
GLutzow

Post by GLutzow »

Because of the weight issue I made the decision to sail without motor when I purchased my Typhoon Weekender in 1981. I also sail on the Gulf of Mexico out of Sarasota and have become quite proficient at sailing on and off my mooring as well as on and off a dock. I did install a set of oarlocks on the rail for those moments when the wind died. Personal preference, I suppose. I don't mind having to row for an hour or so to get back in, though rarely has the wind completely abandoned me.
Greg Lutzow
Nokomis, FL

CD25
"Beau Soleil"
sailing off a mooring in Sarasota Bay

With nothin' but stillness as far as you please
An' the silly mirage stringin' islands an' seas.
Pete S

The Contenders

Post by Pete S »

Thanks for all the replies. Respect goes out to all the motorless sailors .I wish I could do that, but it's not practical where I am. As it is I'm still wondering if the 2 will do the job. Here is the list with a heavy lean toward the Yamaha.
·Honda 2 hp, 57cc, 28 lbs, air cooled
·Mercury 3.5, 85cc, 38 lbs, f-n, integral tank
·Tohatsu 3.5, 85cc,41 lbs, f-n integral tank
·Yamaha 4, 112 cc, 50lb,f-n-?, integral & ext tank
·Mercury 4, 123 cc, 55 lbs, f-n-r, optional charging
·Tohatsu 4, 123cc, 57lbs, f-n-r, integral & ext tank, charging option
·Honda 5, 127 cc, 61 lbs, f-n-r , ext tank, opt charging
Joe Montana
Member 781

Yamaha 4hp

Post by Joe Montana »

I have a Yamaha 4hp, 4-stroke on my Ty. It clears the water when raised and pushes the boat through strong currents on the Connecticut River. It's a little biggier and a lot noisier than I'd like, but I consider these things secondary. I trim with added weight in the bows, which seems to work out OK. I use an external tank. You can see what it looks like by going to the CD Specs section, Typhoon, and clicking on the line drawing of the daysailer.