Reefing lines

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Bob Mial

Reefing lines

Post by Bob Mial »

My Ty boom has a cheek block on the boom for reefing but not a padeye on the opposite side. Most posts about the reefing process suggest a line from a padeye through the reefing cringle and then down to the block and forward to a cleat. Is there a significant disadvantage to just tying the line at the cringle and then running through the block? I have a similar situation at the front of the boom, no horn - just a line running from the cringle under the gooseneck tack pin and back to a cleat.

Thanks
Russell

Re: Reefing lines

Post by Russell »

On a boat with a main as small as the tys I dont think there is much problem rigging it as you suggest.
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
Mike Wainfeld
Bayshore, NY

Post by Mike Wainfeld »

Bob- The way I've always seen it done is a bowline around the boom, then up one side of the sail, thru the cringle, down the other side to the cheek block, the forward to a cleat. I believe this also gives you some mechanical advantage.
Mike
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

The reefing line needs to pull the sail both down to the boom and out as a new outhaul. You don't need a padeye for that.

As was mentioned, a bowline around the boom, up to the cringle and down to the cheek block will do it. If you have a boltrope and no way to attach a line to the boom, see your sailmaker. It's an easy job to put a reinforced slot in the foot of the sail.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698