Leaking Holding Tank

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

liin

Leaking Holding Tank

Post by liin »

Have purchased '81 Cape 33 and have discovered holding tank must have small crack somewhere near bottom of tank allowing waste to go into bilge. Ah the sweet smell of raw sewage in the bilge!! :(

I'm curious if anyone else has experienced this problem? If so, does anyone have recommendation on how to repair? Seems this would be extremely difficult without major expenditure of $. Has anyone experienced problem and just abandoned the tank installing new elsewhere or converting one of the water tanks into the primary holding tank.

Advice and thoughts appreciated.
Ron M.

Post by Ron M. »

Don't assume anything until you can see what the problem is. It could be a cracked tank, could also be a failed fitting, hose or pump. In my boat the original Gusher manual waste pump (cast aluminum), was totally eaten away on it's lower half from seawater, not drained sitting until it evaporated. You can imagine what occurred when the pump was engaged.
You need to pull everything apart until you find the cause of your leak, then you can secure the proper remedy. Worst case you rebuild the entire system- then it's done. I think mine cost me approx. 250.-300 last year, NOT including a new tank or wc. There are many configurations of new tanks available if that is indeed what the problem is. Good luck
________
Washington Medical Marijuana
Last edited by Ron M. on Feb 11th, '11, 05:23, edited 1 time in total.
mahalocd36

tip for finding these types of plumbing leaks

Post by mahalocd36 »

After the system is flushed out and dry, use food coloring, or head sanitizer (if it's colored) and flush the toilet a few times, while someone is looking in the bilge to see the source of the leak. Depending on where it's leaking, you may have to flush a bunch to fill the tank to that point.

It may be some plumbing fitting or pump as mentioned earlier, not the tank itself.
Melissa Abato
www.sailmahalo.com