Jiffy Reef set-up 25D

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

jddj

Jiffy Reef set-up 25D

Post by jddj »

I'm trying to think of a way to pull the leech jiffy reefing line tight without ripping skin off my hands. I currently have only a regular cleat on the boom about 1 foot aft of the gooseneck. Any innovative ideas out there? Pulleys, jam cleats etc?
thanks and enjoy the 4th!
jim
JimL

Jiffy reefing CD25D or CD26 comment...

Post by JimL »

I let the boom pretty far out, letting the boat sail on the jib, then bring the forward reef up first. I then ease the mainsheet some more, and bring the leech reef up. With no significant pressure on the sail, it sets home nicely. I have camcleat arrangements for all 3 of my jiffy reef lines.

Hope this helps,
regards, JimL
Steve Kuhar
Pensacola, Fl.

Post by Steve Kuhar »

Jim,

I reef pretty much the same way as Jim L. stated and have had no problems. I like to totally spill the main while securing the tack and then the clew, I then sheet the main to bring the sail more inboard while putting in the rest of the reef points. I also try to reef on the starboard tack whenever possible so that I will fall into the sail rather than into the water.

Steve Kuhar
CD25D hull#005 and CD30 hull# 359 "Aikane"
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

Steve Kuhar wrote:I also try to reef on the starboard tack whenever possible so that I will fall into the sail rather than into the water.
When you heave to on a stbd tack (or are otherwise distracted) you are (for the most part) the stand on vessel. That can be good for avoiding loud crunching noises while you reef.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
rtbates

yes, ease the sheet some more

Post by rtbates »

Jim:

You shouldn't need much force at all to bring the leech reefing line home. Bacially all you should need is enough force to lift the boom up to the reefing cringle. I suspect your main sheet or main halyard are not eased enough. Seraph's reefing lines are set up identical and all I need do is sit at the mast base and haul in on the reefing line till the boom end and sail clew meet. Something that helps set the halyard is a mark on the line when enough slack is present.

Good luck
Randy 25D Seraph #161