Racing CDs

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Peter Kozup
Hull #42 Sandusky Ohio

Racing CDs

Post by Peter Kozup »

Does anyone out there regularly race their CD? I'm thinking of entering my CD26 in a singlehanded challenge sponsored by the Lake Erie Shorthanded Society. I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who has raced their CD particularly with some hints and kinks, things to remember and look out for while racing, etc.. The race is a 104 nm sail from the West side of Cleveland out to the islands in the western part of Lake Erie and back again.
Thanks for any suggestions.
Fair Winds,
Peter K., S/V Katy Too
CD26, Hull #42
tartansailor

Distance Racing

Post by tartansailor »

IMHO the whole idea of these types of Regattas is to participate, have fun, share photos and socialize. Placement in the fleet is a minor consideration.

But if you feel the need to be competitive than:
North U.'s CD on "Tactics" www.northu.com
and software for your laptop: Deckman; www.sailmath.com
and to know what the wind is going to do: www.sailflow.com
are popular at present.

Possibly the biggest challenge is getting enough sleep.
I am sure everyone here would be very interested in your after action post.
Again, have fun.

Dick
Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
Peter Kozup
Hull #42 Sandusky Ohio

Re: Racing CDs

Post by Peter Kozup »

Thanks, Dick, for your response and for the websites. You are, of course, correct when you say that most people who enter these sorts of races are in it for the ability to say that they've completed the course, and I am too. I recently served on the race committee for the Great Lakes Singlehanded Society's Port Huron - Mackinac and Chicago - Mac solo races and am trying to get up enough nerve to enter the Port Huron - Mac solo next year. These are similar to the big Mac races, except that they're sailed with a crew of ONE!! I really want to do the race only to be able to say I did the race, but I also don't want to be halfway up the lake after everyone else has had the victory luncheon, received their prizes and neat shirts, packed up their gear and gone home!! Anyhow, if I ever do enter one of these challenges I will certainly let the list know.
Again, thanks for the response.
Fair Winds,
Peter K.
Anthony P. Jeske
FLYING CIRCUS

Racing your CD

Post by Anthony P. Jeske »

Hi Peter:
I have raced Cape Dorys for years, both on Lake Michigan and here in San Diego. I currently own a CD-28 which I believe has a favorable PHRF rating. When sailed well, it'll outperform it's rating, in my opinion. In 2004 we finished first in our yacht club's Family Fleet race series.
As I'm sure you're well aware, in light air our heavy boats will be VERY outclassed. Also, since our sheeting angles aren't close, you'll be outpointed severely on upwind legs. In a nutshell, if the race is in light air, or has long upwind legs, you'll struggle. If, on the other hand, there's reasonable wind, and some long reaching or downwind legs, you'll be competitive.
In my experience it's imperative to carry enough sail to move our heavy boats. A 150 genoa is a must in order to be competitive.
While racers pay attention to their hull bottoms, us cruiser types rarely do. It's important to have a smooth bottom, no painted over chipped out sections, etc.
Good Luck!
Tony Jeske
viejo

Post by viejo »

Given the proper handicap numbers, the CD fleet is in good shape.

The three seasons I raced my CD26D resulted in a slew of first place trophies and year end awards.
iropicc

cd25 racer

Post by iropicc »

cd25 hull#279 placed first her phrf non spin class last august in the navy regatta military cup 2005. hope to do the same in the first week of august 2006. military cup requires active duty military person as helmsman. our regatta is a great chance for the mil community to meet the locals
George Shaunfield
and Westsail 28
Dickinson Bayou, Galveston Bay, TX

Singlehanded Race a CD26

Post by George Shaunfield »

Peter,

For a race that will take around 24 hours, one of the most beneficial things to you would be some means of self-steering - sheet to tiller, self-steering sail, or windvane. You can probably stay awake, but the ability to leave the helm for several minutes at a time will make the trip much less tiring, and as a result, much safer.

Best of luck,
George