Recommendations for small sailboat charters on Penobscot Bay

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Carter Brey
City Island, New York

Recommendations for small sailboat charters on Penobscot Bay

Post by Carter Brey »

Howdy--

It seems I'll be performing in a little place on Penobscot Bay, Maine, for a few days next August (21 thru 24). I'd love to get a piece of the good sailing up there, and would like to hear about any good experiences with charter companies in the area. Where I'll be is apparently only 8 miles or so from Rockland. Skimming the 'net just now, I found one company in Rockland called NorthPoint Yacht Charters. They have an Erickson 28 that looks perfect for singlehanded gunkholing between concerts. That's the sort of thing I'm looking for.

Thanks a lot.

Carter

Chartering in Penobscot Bay

Post by Guest »

Hi Carter-

Try Morris Yachts. They have a few boat they charter, and you might get one of those slick little Frances's that you can easily single-hand...but be very careful! You might just fall in love and end up one of us, true blue Brand-Xers!

Clay Stalker (at work, so not signed in)
Joe CD MS 300
Location: Cape Dory Motor Sailor 300 / "Quest" / Linekin Bay - Boothbay Harbor

Rockland Charters

Post by Joe CD MS 300 »

I have chartered with three companies in Maine over the past 12 years: Bay Island, Rockland; Hinckley, Southwest Harbor and Johansen Boatworks, Rockland formerly out of Camden, most recently.

Bay Island was great for the first few years but then changed hands a few times and went down hill somewhat. Their current selection is somewhat limited. The current owner of North Point Charters was a former owner of Bay Island I believe. Hinckley has great boats, not all are Hinckleys but are another two hours north and somewhat expensive. Morris Yacht Charters is in the same area and also on the expensive side.I have chartered about 7 times with Johanson and have always been happy with their charters. I found them when I boat I had previously chartered at Bay Island was moved to their fleet. I'm presently planning on putting my boat in charter with Johansen for a couple of weeks next season. The area between Penobscott Bay and Bar Harbor has to be one of the best sailing areas in the world.
Joe CD MS 300

Short term charter

Post by Joe CD MS 300 »

I didn't initially notice that you were looking for a charter of less than a week. Most of the charter companies are reluctant to do that. Hinckley was pretty emphatic about not doing short term charters. Johanson may if they have an unused gap between charters. Bucks Harbor Marine has started to gear up a charter operation and seemed more receptive than most other companies.
Warren Kaplan
Location: Former owner of Sine Qua Non CD27 #166 1980 Oyster Bay Harbor, NY Member # 317

Re: Chartering in Penobscot Bay

Post by Warren Kaplan »

Guest wrote:Hi Carter-

Try Morris Yachts. They have a few boat they charter, and you might get one of those slick little Frances's that you can easily single-hand...but be very careful! You might just fall in love and end up one of us, true blue Brand-Xers!

Clay Stalker (at work, so not signed in)

Carter,
My brother-in-law sails a Morris Frances 26. Cool traditional looking double enders with a cockpit built for the high seas. Real small, that cockpit so you'll never pooped. I've sailed aboard it numerous times and its a good choice for what you're looking for.

Better start now brushing up on how to use and read radar. Fog heaven in Maine I hear. Also, consider bringing a diving mask and sharp knife for the myriad of lobster pot tethers that somehow "engage" prop shafts!! :D
"I desire no more delight, than to be under sail and gone tonight."
(W. Shakespeare, Merchant of Venice)
Carter Brey
City Island, New York

Penobscot charters

Post by Carter Brey »

Thanks, all, for that information. Printed and saved.

Warren, yes, believe me, I'm thinking fog and lob pots. Two things we don't really think about much in our home waters, although, come to think of it, there was one time this past summer when I moored in Oyster Bay and awoke to find myself fogbound. It definitely was not the Bass Ale I'd consumed the night before.
Joe CD MS 300

Fog / Penobscot Bay

Post by Joe CD MS 300 »

If you do find yourself fog bound, it is an easy shot from Rockland to the Fox Island Throughfare between North Haven and Vinalhaven Islands. This area is often fog free when the rest of the bay is socked in. You could spend a week in this area at a different beautiful anchorage every night. Where will you be performing at?
Warren Kaplan
Location: Former owner of Sine Qua Non CD27 #166 1980 Oyster Bay Harbor, NY Member # 317

Re: Penobscot charters

Post by Warren Kaplan »

Carter Brey wrote:Thanks, all, for that information. Printed and saved.

Warren, yes, believe me, I'm thinking fog and lob pots. Two things we don't really think about much in our home waters, although, come to think of it, there was one time this past summer when I moored in Oyster Bay and awoke to find myself fogbound. It definitely was not the Bass Ale I'd consumed the night before.
Carter,
I remember the Bass Ale at the restaurant the night before. You're correct in your assessment. Natural fog usually lifts when the sun attains some altitude. Ale induced "fog" lasts much longer! :?
"I desire no more delight, than to be under sail and gone tonight."
(W. Shakespeare, Merchant of Venice)
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: Penobscot charters

Post by Neil Gordon »

Warren Kaplan wrote:
Carter Brey wrote:Natural fog usually lifts when the sun attains some altitude.
Fog comes in different flavors. Some burn off when the sun gets to it, others don't. Sometimes, the fog in Maine is forever. Wind blows through it, too, so you can sail, just can't see where you're going. Good news is there isn't much heavyweight traffic. The lobster boats seem to navigate through the fog by smell, but they're loud and relatively slow. Keep some extra cans of fog horn stuff on board.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
dasein668

Re: Fog / Penobscot Bay

Post by dasein668 »

Joe CD MS 300 wrote:If you do find yourself fog bound, it is an easy shot from Rockland to the Fox Island Throughfare between North Haven and Vinalhaven Islands. This area is often fog free when the rest of the bay is socked in. You could spend a week in this area at a different beautiful anchorage every night. Where will you be performing at?
There is a fair amount of traffic following that route, as well as across that route heading up Penobscot Bay. Keep the radio tuned to 16 and use your Securité calls...

Joe is definitely right about Vinalhaven and Northhaven. Lots of excellent spots.
Nathan Sanborn
Dasein, Pearson Triton 668
dasein668.com
joeeb

Hope to see you at Rockport Opera House

Post by joeeb »

CB you might want to contact Capn Bill Brown who operates out of Brooklin Maine. 1 800 5628290 cell 207 460 0609
Elbows Wychulis
GeorgeV

Post by GeorgeV »

I came accross this today.... maybe you have already seen them, but....

NorthPoint Yacht Charters arranges sailing and power boat cruising charters in Down East Maine. We offer a wide variety of boats owned and managed by individual owners including both power and sailboats from 20-80 feet. Both bareboat and crewed charters are available.

http://www.rhby.com/helix2.html

Are you also looking for crew?.....

George
GeorgeV
s/v: Peace and Quiet
Tayana 37
Essex, CT
http://sailingonisabelle.yolasite.com/

Post by Guest »

Just be careful the FBI is cracking down on boats!

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/ ... i_76812778
Jim East

Our CD 33 is for charter in Rockland

Post by Jim East »

Carter:
We have a CD 33 in terrific shape with a slip at Journey's End Marina in Rockland and we would be willing to charter it if the dates worked out for us. You can contact us at 101east@bellsouth.net if you are interested.
RonE58

sailing Maine

Post by RonE58 »

Hey Carter,
I visit maine myself every year for most of the July 4th week and have often thought how great it would be to have access to a sailboat. Checking the internet myself I came up with this Bay Island Yacht Charter. They rent boats by the week as well as by the day, they seem pretty reasonable,
Ron
http://www.sailme.com/