Cockpit Pads

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Bruce Ebling

Cockpit Pads

Post by Bruce Ebling »

Our CD25D did not come with cockpit pads and short of the anchor I still need I think they are on my #1 project list. My bony behind just can't take the hard fiberglass for a day of sailing. I have a friend that is an ex-sailmaker/canvas guy that has offered to help me with the sewing. My problem is that I cannot find a source for 2" "closed cell" foam. Does anyone out there know of a source for this material? Once we find what we need I would be glad to shoot some photos and let everyone know how a novice fares with the sewing.
Thanks!
Bruce Ebling
SV "Selah"
GLutzow

Post by GLutzow »

I purchased a set of closed cell foam pads from a company called C-Cusion in Texas. Of course this was about twelve years ago. :roll: I am not sure if this contact information is current but....

C Cushions
206 Hwy 35 South
Rockport, Tx 78382

(800) 531-1014

They had the templates for my boat and were able to ship almost immediately. After all this time the cushions are still in great shape.
Greg Lutzow
Nokomis, FL

CD25
"Beau Soleil"
sailing off a mooring in Sarasota Bay

With nothin' but stillness as far as you please
An' the silly mirage stringin' islands an' seas.
Mike Raehl
Location: CD27 #151, Roberta Jane III, Belmont Harbor, Chicago

Web Site

Post by Mike Raehl »

Try this link. I have no experience with the company but looks like the right stuff.

http://www.beaconfabric.com/vindex.html?cat235.htm
Mike Raehl
Bruce Ebling

Cockpit Pads

Post by Bruce Ebling »

I checked with C Cushions and wow the cushions are near $600! That is overbudget for me, thanks for the lead though, they look like they make a quality product. I am in the process of contacting Beacon Fabrics for a quote for the foam. Thanks for all of the leads and I will keep you posted on my progress.
Bruce Ebling
CD25D "Selah"
oyster

Post by oyster »

Sailrite sells 1.5" closed cell foam that might work for you

http://secure.sailrite.com/items.asp?Ca ... =0&Tp=&Bc=

They also sell .5" closed cell which could easily be adhered assuming you're putting covers on them.

Bill O.

Nor'Sea 27 "Galena"
formerly Cape Dory 31 "Sea Myth"
Bruce Ebling

Cockpit Pads

Post by Bruce Ebling »

Bill: That is just what I am looking for! The price seems more reasonable. Does anyone have any experience with their pads as far as thickness goes? I think we will try the 1-1/2" , then if that is not thick enough we can add the other 1/2". I will contact sailrite as soon as we are back from vacation. Thanks for the great lead!
Bruce
rtbates

Sport-A-Seat

Post by rtbates »

Seraph, our 25D, came with a full set of cockpit cushions. I took them home and replaced them with two Sport-a-Seats. They give good back support as well as bottom support anywhere you want to sit.
Randy 25D Seraph #161
cbrenton
Cape Dory 33, Hull #75
Newington, New Hampshire

Post by cbrenton »

Try Defender. If you are close enough to drive there and don't have to pay shipping, they are reasonable.

Charlie Brenton
"Carol Anne"