Opinions on a new Mainsail

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

mrudman850

Opinions on a new Mainsail

Post by mrudman850 »

Looking for a new mainsail for our Typhoon Weekender and the quotes cover a wide range. Is a 4.93 oz Dacron from Lee Sails worth a $100 more than a 4.0 Dacron from Rolly Tasker Sails?

This is our first sailboat and our first sail and we welcome all opinions. Thanks.
Mike & Susan
Northport NY
tartansailor

New Main Sail

Post by tartansailor »

Mike,
I would be more concerned with the sail's design.
Sails by nature are designed for a narrow band of wind conditions.
Is your venue 5 to 8 knots of wind, 10 to 15, 18+ ?
That you need to tell your sail maker. And yes it is important.
Also:
How about reef points, single or double, leather buttons, strength of batten pockets, roach, down-haul if you are new to the game.

And may be you would like him to add tell tails, and a clear plastic window. This is only a tip of the iceberg, there is so much more.

I hope I have made a positive contribution to your efforts.

Dick
Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
mrudman850

Thanks

Post by mrudman850 »

Thanks. Yes, we did talk about conditions that we sail in. Both choices have one reef, slugs, telltales, downhaul, cunningham, and standard battens. One uses aluminum reinforcement at the headboard, tack and clew are reinforced. Thanks again.
Mike & Susan
Northport NY
Bob Mial

Post by Bob Mial »

I just received my main and jib from Cruising Direct and though I haven't gotten them on my Ty yet (next week!!) I was very pleased with the construction and their service. Dan Calore was very thoughtful about many aspects of the details and as he had built some other Ty sails recently, he was knowlegeable about the characteristics of the boat. His number is 888-424-7328.
mrudman850

Thanks

Post by mrudman850 »

Thanks Bob, I hadn't contacted them.
Mike & Susan
Northport NY