Reefing CD 25 - How?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

marka
CD 27
Hull 219
Oswego, NY

Post by marka »

Practice in beningn conditios so you're prepared for difficult conditions
Mark Abramski
rtbates

answer to OJ's question

Post by rtbates »

OJ wrote
When I reef, my reef points reach down, under and around the boom. At this time, all my reef points take strain. Is there any way, under the present setup, to reef without straining the reef points?
For the reef tie line use very very very light line. That way WHEN the clew reef point pulls out the very very very light line will break instead of taking out the entire sail.
Randy 25D Seraph #161
viejo

Post by viejo »

Russell wrote:...

These should never take any strain, if you cannot pass them under the sail but over the boom then when wrapping them around the boom make sure they are loose enough that they would never take any load.

The primary reason for these is not to pretty or neaten things up, its so when you take a large wave the reefed part of the sail when filled with water does not end up flopping onto the deck as a large bag of water. The lines keep the main where it should be. Granted in most seas you would have only one reef in this is not a problem, second reef it becomes more of an concern. Reguardless, they dont need to be tight, just enough to keep the sail from flopping out onto the deck.
Agreed. NEVER let them take strain. For the record, when I used "pretty up", it wasn't for a photographers point of view. I'd use the same term when talking about stowing anchor line below deck, or coiling halyards and hanging them from the mast winches to keep them from getting all over the deck and underfoot which would be a safety hazard.

I do have to say, though, if you're taking water THAT high onto the boat (so as to grab the reefed portion of the sail), I'd love to go sailing with you. Sounds like REAL Cape Dory conditions....... I've always thought that a small craft advisory was to advise Cape Dory sailors to go sailing..... :D
chase

small craft advisory

Post by chase »

Viejo, that was clever.

I'm glad to hear the advice about the reef points; I had not given it any thought.

When I was sailing across the Pamlico Sound the other day on the way to Ocracoke, I reefed the main. It was the first time I had done so. I did not bother with the reef lines because I was alone and wanted to be back in the cockpit. The boat was very balanced and I felt very comfortable. Everyone else coming into Ocracoke that day was reefed. I took my shirt off on the windward portion because I was getting soaked from water over the bow--what a blast!!!!! Especially after reaching for 40 miles in some serious heat.

I have never heaved-to, but when the boat was balanced I could head up, ease the main, and go forward and reef. I will heave to next time I'm out and flying the Yankee (capitalized out of respect for ya'll). I guess I can keep the stays'l death-boom outboard with the traveler and trim it hard. We'll see.

This has been a very good thread, thanks all. I just placed an order for materials for a second reef. I am developing a great deal of confidence in my little ship when carrying the appropriate sail and agree that it really opens up new opportunities.

Chase
Tom Foley
Location: Cape Dory 25, Heather, Arundel Yacht Club, Kennebunkport, Maine

CD 25 reefing How?

Post by Tom Foley »

I'm glad I asked the question. Thanks to all for your very helpful advice.
Tom Foley
Cape Porpoise, Maine :D
SeaBelle
Sea Belle
Hail port: Rockland, ME

A suggestion for this board

Post by SeaBelle »

My suggestion is to add a 4th "discussion' as we did for buy/sell. The added FAQ "discussion" would contain topics deemed appropriate by some wise one and would be moderated. Here is how it could work:

1. We have a thread like this one including Tod's marvelous contribution.

2. A "wise one" decides it is appropriate fodder for the FAQ (perhaps at someone's suggestion) and asks Tod to edit his original response to include whatever additional wisdom has been added. For example, how to use reefing ties.

3. The edited message would be added to the FAQ. I don't know if our software has features to support this type of thing, for example, allowing only the moderator to add topics. However this board is a particularly civil one and, if we knew the rules we would mostly follow them. The rare misstep could be deleted by the moderator.

The FAQ discussion would be interesting reading but its primary use would be when the question comes up again (and it will, remember by definition it is a FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTION) some one can link the questioner to a particularly thoughtful and clear response.

While I'm writing this I can imagine some topic of general interest with a general response followed by some responses specific to particular CD models. I'm sure my suggestion could be refined and improved by the collective wisdom of others.

If this suggestion deemed worthy perhaps this topic will be the first FAQ entry. After a while, in the course of events, other questions will emerge and be answered and added to the FAQ.

But to be successful the FAQ should have a useful core of answered questions at or shortly after startup. Initially we could ask our members to recall a question of particular interest to them, to troll the archives, and perhaps in collaboration with others develop a FAQ. This could produce a useful collection quickly, have the FAQ used, and let the collection evolve.

What do you think?
Sail on,
Jack
CD28 Sea Belle
Hailport - Rockland, ME

There are old sailors and bold sailors, but there are no old, bold sailors.

Reef early and often. It's easier to shake out a reef when one is bored than it is to tuck one in when one is scared.

When your only tool is a hammer, all your problems look like nails.
Mike Johnson

FAQ discussion topic

Post by Mike Johnson »

I like the idea and would encourage progress in setting it up.
Dan & Pat
Location: CD 25 #282: "Play it Again Sam" Fort Lauderdale, FL -

only a couple months

Post by Dan & Pat »

Folks - All of you!

Pat and I have only been CD owners for a couple of months, and I consider threads like this, not only worth categorizing into FAQ's, but after a while when the content gets big enough, maybe we should consider even publishing in a book that can be offered up for sale (Cape Dory's For Sail :wink: ) in the Cape Dory Stuff chandlery. I'd have bought it the first day I became a member!

I have been known to copy and paste pertinent information from various posts into my MS Word document called "CD Good Stuff to Know". Although some of it is rough edged commentary, most is worthy of reading many times.

A day doesn't go by without me logging in to this site and simply reading posts. A wealth of information based on experiences of you, my new-found friends has filled my head. (And not the one on the boat!) I can only hope that the membership of this club, new and old, will ever benefit from my advice or experiences.

This site is like a never-ending-book to me, and hard to put down!

Dan
Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change.