Typhoon Weekender Mainsail etc

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

mrudman850

Typhoon Weekender Mainsail etc

Post by mrudman850 »

Took my first sailing lesson on Saturday in my '78 Typhoon Weekender and had a ball! My instructor spent considerable time going over the boat and pointed out all the stuff I need to replace. Need a new mainsail - looked at previous posting for resources, but realize I don't know what I don't know about slugs, rope, fabric/oz, battens, etc.

Suggested I install a boom vang maybe with a kicker. I'm handy enough (restored a 67 MGB and own an airplane), can I do this? Where do I get one and what size do I need?

Suggested I put in a "real" topping lift. Is this necessary if I put in the kicker?

Help! Thanks.
Mike & Susan
Northport NY
Christian Sava
Typhoon weekender (1973) #506
Newburyport, MA

Post by Christian Sava »

Hello Mike and susan,
I wouldn't fret too much about replacing and adding a bunch of new 'stuff' to your boat at this point. Learn to sail your boat and have fun with it! As you get more comfortable with it and all of it's tendencies, then you will be better equipped to decide what if anything needs to be replaced or added.
The boom vang would be a nice addition, but certainly not a necessity.
If the Main is stretched out, tattered and worn, then I would replace that, but if it's in satisfactory shape, I would keep it. Spend more time on the water sailing and less time on ' the hard' fixing it!

Happy sailing!!

Christian
Christian Sava
mrudman850

Post by mrudman850 »

sounds like good advice, thanks!
Mike & Susan
Northport NY
Christian Sava
Newburyport, MA

Post by Christian Sava »

Your welcome! I have to warn you, however, that once you start sailing her more and getting comfortable with her habits, the tendency to retrofit always enters into the equation. It has happened to me on every sailboat that I have ever owned. Have fun with the boat and try to fight the temptation to spend, spend, spend!

Cheers!
Christian Sava
mrudman850

good advice

Post by mrudman850 »

I know the feeling, but since the boat was practically given to us, we feel we have a running start. BTW, lived in Plymouth MA for 3 years before moving to LI
Mike & Susan
Northport NY
Christian Sava
Newburyport, MA

Post by Christian Sava »

That's a good point! You definitely have a head-start. Buy, buy, buy! Plymouth is a great town. Come on back. We need more Typhoons on the Gulf of maine.

Happy sailing!
Christian Sava