Over boom awnings: favorites?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Dave Jeffery
Location: CD25 #762, "Glimmer," San Domingo Creek, St. Michaels MD

Over boom awnings: favorites?

Post by Dave Jeffery »

I have a CD25 and am interested in ideas for an awning to fit over the boom and shade the cockpit when anchored or docked. This can be custom made, of course, but has anyone found a satisfactory ready made version? The awnings from ShadeTree look interesting; the effect is something like a Conestoga wagon. But they are on the pricey side.

Dave J
Russell

Re: Over boom awnings: favorites?

Post by Russell »

Dave Jeffery wrote:I have a CD25 and am interested in ideas for an awning to fit over the boom and shade the cockpit when anchored or docked. This can be custom made, of course, but has anyone found a satisfactory ready made version? The awnings from ShadeTree look interesting; the effect is something like a Conestoga wagon. But they are on the pricey side.

Dave J
Lots of boats down here have awnings (almost a nessesity in the tropics) the two most commonly seen are shadetree and custom made. The custom made onces tend to be the nicest, but very pricey, those with shadetree do seem to be pleased with them. Some folks buy the material and make their own as well with varying results.

I have not purchased one but would go custom made if and when I do. Ideally two peice, to cover aft and forward of the mast. Since your sleep quarters are ussually forward of the mast its important to keep that shaded as well.

An often overlooked advantage to awnings is the ability to leave hatches open when it starts raining.
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
plumber

Post by plumber »

I made a sun cover for my CD25 using an old pickup truck tonneau cover(canvas) , I put eyelets at corners and centers to bungee it to various points then used fiberglass rods to create that curved look. I got the rods from a building supply store, they are used as stiffeners for vinal siding. It goes from the mast to the back stay and covers the entire cockpit and hatch. It looks good and works! With a little tinkerin' I can mount it under the boom and still sail. It seems that since I've had a sail boat I have done so much with so little that I could do almost any thing with nathan'
Brace
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: Over boom awnings: favorites?

Post by Neil Gordon »

Mine is a big rectangle of sunbrella. It's split on the aft end so that when it goes ove the boom, the back end goes around the topping lift. There are grommets along the edges for tie downs. Both fore and aft, there are pockets in the underside where poles can be inserted to "fly" the corners. I usually (i) tie the forward corners to a stay, (ii) insert an extended boat hook to hold the aft corners out, (iii) tie the aft corners to the stern rail and (iv) hold the split together and keep the aft end in place by securing it to the backstay. It's quick on and off.

I'm not at the boat for a few days but I can measure if anyone is interested.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Defender

Post by Joe Myerson »

Dave,

My CD came with an awning made by the PO's wife, but on my last boat I ordered an awning from Defender.

It was a simple rectangle of white sailcloth with two stiffeners (batten material, I think), grommets at the corners, and a Velcro slit at one end to accommodate the topping lift.

I can't remember how much it cost, but it was the cheapest I could find, and it worked well. Using white sailcloth kept things cool, too.

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: Defender

Post by Neil Gordon »

[quote="Joe Myerson"]Using white sailcloth kept things cool, too./quote]

Do I remember reading that sail cloth does nothing to stop the bad, burning and cancer causing rays?
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Could be

Post by Joe Myerson »

Gee, Neil, I don't know about that. It kept my cockpit cool, and I wore sunblock. But maybe that is a problem.
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
Mike Raehl
Location: CD27 #151, Roberta Jane III, Belmont Harbor, Chicago

"Quickshade"

Post by Mike Raehl »

Dave,
I bought the "Quickshade" for my Ty Weekender and have now moved it to my CD27. Very well made and not terribly expensive.

Here is the link which includes a picture of one installed on a CD28.

http://www.daleomarine.com/QuickShade.html

The one I have has a six inch drop on each side.
Mike Raehl
adevans
Location: Whisper, Bristol 45.5, Handy Boat Services, Falmouth, Maine

West Marine awning

Post by adevans »

West Marine carried a ready-made awning a few years back that was absolutely super. By a few years, I mean 1998. Don't know if it's still in the catalog. We got lots of compliments for ours on the Cape Dory 36. And it was just great ... side and aft curtains, heavy canvas, easy to rig. Made the cockpit a shaded joy.
Allen Evans
frankfurder

Awning

Post by frankfurder »

I purchased an awning kit from Sailrite for my 25D and had a local canvas shop do the sewing. it has a good design, sunbrella fabric and 3 poles for support and shape. An 11'x8' kit is $167.

I have tried to make a bimini work during sailing but without raising the boom there just isnt space.
barfwinkle

Awning

Post by barfwinkle »

Hello to everyone

I ordered two nylon rain flys for Rhapsody (from Campmor). One 8x10 for the mast aft and a 5X7 for the mast forward. I use 1/2" schedule 40 PVC, cut in half, for side to side tensioning. The PVC breaks down into two 4' sections (for the 8x10) and 4 36" sections for the 5x7. The nylon flys store in much less space than sunbrella would and is significantly cheaper. Downside is that you cant leave them up "all" the time as they will rot in the Suns UV rays, but I expect to get many years use out of them.

They work great, keep the boat cooler, provide shade, keep out rain and allow for hatches to be open in the rain. HUGE Difference, but I cannot sail with them up.
Bill Member #250.