Offshore Trip to Stetson Bank in Gulf of Mexico

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

George Shaunfield
and Westsail 28
Dickinson Bayou, Galveston Bay, TX

Offshore Trip to Stetson Bank in Gulf of Mexico

Post by George Shaunfield »

Well, I finally posted the pictures and text regarding the latest offshore trip in the Gulf of Mexico in my CD26. The original plan was to sail to the East Bank of the Flower Gardens, but due to light winds and the resulting slower speed we went to the Stetson Bank. The Flower Gardens National Marine Sanctuary are the northernmost coral reefs in the United States. Info can be found at http://flowergarden.noaa.gov/about/intro.html .

I had planned this trip for a couple of months to progressively increase my offshore experience. Scott and I left my slip at 8:00PM Wednesday evening - giving us just enough time to get through the Bayou to the SH146 bridge by dust. We sailed for 38 hours (123 nm) and arrived at the Stetson Bank at 10:00AM Friday and picked up a mooring. A pictorial account of our trip can be viewed at https://mv3.accountron.com/CD26/06may31/ .

Sailing at night is most enjoyable (if there is not much traffic, that is), but takes some getting used to. There were a lot of ships anchored in a fairway about 12 miles out. Also, it is really nice to get offshore far enough that seeing other vessels is rare.

Some observations:
- For passages of 24 hours, or even less, self steering is highly desirable. Even the "cushion pilot" was a great help.
- With a crew of two, it is best to have a watch schedule during the day as well as the night. That provides the opportunity to get some extra sleep missed during the night. We scheduled watches of 3 hours at night and 4 hours during the day. Our third crew member had to cancel out due to job commitments 9 days before we left.
- Keeping a log of passages provides a useful resouce when planning subsequent trips.
- It is best to plan for adverse winds and the extra distance that tacking will add. As someone once said, "Plan for the worst and if it turns out better, we will work it in somehow."

George
Kent Martin
1979 CD30
Clear Lake, Texas

Post by Kent Martin »

Great trip and pictures, George! Munin will be ready this weekend, see you on the bay!

Kent
George Shaunfield
and Westsail 28
Dickinson Bayou, Galveston Bay, TX

Gulf Coast Fleet

Post by George Shaunfield »

Thanks, Kent, glad you enjoyed them.

Since you are in the Clear Lake area you should join us at the next Cape Dory meeting of the Gulf Fleet. It will be Saturday, July 15, at 10:00AM at Clubhouse #7 at Watergate. It is a great, informal group of folks - friendly, encouraging, offer helpful advice, and even an helping hand. I have been trying to convince somebody that if they would sand and apply bottom paint on one side of my boat, I could learn how and do the other side myself. Ha, they are friendly, but not dumb.

Good sailing,
George
Kent Martin
1979 CD30
Clear Lake, Texas

Post by Kent Martin »

George,

I should be there. I have sent in my application and check for the group, so should be signed up now...

Also, if any of the group would like to help me get to know my new boat, I will buy the beverages! I have never operated a deisel, marine head or electronic system, so I have quite a bit to learn...

Kent