CD 28 Flybridge

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

John Edwards
86 Cal 33

CD 28 Flybridge

Post by John Edwards »

Well after 2 yrs of "re-doing" finally splashed the boat, which has been on the hard for 11 Yrs!, 2 w/ me, 9 before...

Was absolutely amazed that both the GPS & knot meter read 17.8 !!, my mechanic thinks we hit 18, but it just hadn't registered yet...

I'm sure I'll never travel at that speed, but it was quite stunning; I thought top sped would be about 13.

It's a 18/18 RH Three bladed prop, driven by the 41A, no water on board, 1/4 port tank of fuel, 1/2 stb tank, and very little personal effects on board.

But I do have 2 questions:

1st

Unfortunately, I threw away the wiper blade arms, as I just assumed replacements would be easy, not so. The manual says they were made by "Gem Industries" which I can't find.

They are set up for doubles or pantographic, a driver stub and a slave stubb (horrible word)

About half way down the taper stub the width is 5/8's

Any ideas, I'd hate to have to trade out the motors, I am weary of working on her, I want to go!

2nd

My gut tells me that the lower helm seat is awkward. I'm thinking I'd rather have some kind of "leaning bar" for your rump, just to take the weight off... Som ething which also would fold away when not in use. Any thoughts?

Also I'm trying to reach Capt Dulcinea or Bill Dulcie, as I have a question about his exhaust extension.

My direct e-mail is: JE1449 at aol dot com

Thanks
John Edwards
88 CD28 FB
"NEO"
MICHAEL AND NANCY

CONGRATULATIONS

Post by MICHAEL AND NANCY »

Regarding the lower held seat - I find that we rarely drive from below. Our seat folds down - when not in use. When we do use it - we sit with our back to starboard and have a good 360 view all around - why change it - also a pizza fits right on the seat when at dock side - what could be better. Also I find the seat much more comfortable than the port side seating.

Again - good luck and enjoy.
Bill - Dulcie

CD 28 FBC

Post by Bill - Dulcie »

John,
Both my transom and cockpit were foul from exhaust soot, and if for one reason or another - e.g.; towing - I was making smoke, the cockpit was an unpleasant place to be. On the advice and with the assistance of the Chesapeake Cove Marina in Deltaville, VA, I installed an extension which consisted of a 2' (more or less) section of 4" exhaust hose securely clamped to the pipe protruding from the transom at the forward end and suspended by a stainless steel bracket from the aft slat of the teak swim platform at the nether end. I capped it with a new flapper valve to ensure no water came in when I backed down. It has been on Dulcie for about twelve years - about 2000 hrs - and had been completely trouble-free. It has eliminated both the gases in the cockpit and 95% of the soot on the transom. Before - cleaned transom monthly; after - about biannually if required.

I don't know where you cruise so can't tell how much chop you face, but the Chesapeake has mean chop in a blow, 4 to 6 footers being not uncommon in just an afternoon sea breeze, and 6 to 8 footers in a white squall of strong thunderbumper. Both are exacerbated by the shallowness of the Bay, which makes the moment decidedly short - maybe a boat-length between crests. Dulcie has a semi-displacement hull with a soft chine and will rarely pound, and she tracks as well as any boat her size that I know of in a following sea, but in a beam sea, she can roll violently! I did most of my boating alone and found that in mean water, driving from below was both more comfortable and safer. I also found a helm chair with arms offered both more comfort and substantially less danger of being unseated in a rough passage. I used the topside helm in calmer water or when visibility was the primary requirement.

I too faced the wiper conundrum. I never found an acceptable replacement arm, and eventually replaced the entire assembly. Tip: 'till you fix it, wipe the glass with Rain-ex before you set sail. It will shed the water for a while and (mostly) prevent salt build-up.

Happy to answer any questions.
John Edwards
86 Cal 33

Post by John Edwards »

Thanks Sedena & Dulcenia!

Surely don't want to replace the wiper motors just yet; I want to use the boat, not keep working on it!

I think I'll try the lower helms seat, as it would seem that you could just lean on it, as well as sitting on it.

Wondering if you guys have the "bad" volvo trannie 4msa (?) and if so, how has it been? I've been told that if you are gentle w/ it and give a good pause between neutral and reverse, it's just fine...

Hoping to go to the vineyard this weekend for this 1st trip.

Bill, I cut a piece of 3" pvc pipe, painted it the same color as the boot stripe, have a double rubber plumbing connector for 3" hose, to connect it to the exisiting exhaust tube, and a friend of mine made up a piece of angled mahogany, with the top routered out to follow the curve of the pipe, then we will attach it to the bottom of the swim platform. My concern was that when she squats down it would rip off this extension, if it didn't have the block between it and the platform...

Now what I really need is an anchor roller!

Thanks

John
John Edwards
88 CD28 FB
"NEO"
Bill - Dulcie

Exhaust extension

Post by Bill - Dulcie »

John,

Never had a problem with damaging the extension. I suppose if you backed hard into a pier ...........

I considered PVC pipe, but decided that I did not know how PVC stands up to salt water/hot exhaust water/exhaust gases, so went with the known, which is the same exhaust hose one finds on the inside of the boat. Figured I couldn't go wrong.

Bill