Ty Daysailer Stowage Idea

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Joe Montana
Member 781

Ty Daysailer Stowage Idea

Post by Joe Montana »

I'm interested in hearing about stowage solutions that others with Ty Daysailers have found helpful. Here's one that has worked well for me. The Ty daysailer has flotation under the cockpit seats, so storage space is at a premium. Also, I never liked staring at the aluminum mast inside the boat, and I wanted to keep dock lines and anchor neatly at hand. I took a sturdy (brown) plastic milk carton and cut a hole in the bottom the size of the mast step. The mast is stepped through the bottom of the box. I mounted a loose piece of teak (about 2.5" x 3') vertically along aft side of the mast between the deck and the cockpit floor. I mounted two shorter pieces of teak (each about 2" x 14" and each with two brass hooks) along each side of the mast. The three pieces form a "U" around the mast, and are held in place with three stainless steel clamps -- top, middle and bottom. The box holds my anchor with the rode flaked inside, vertical stock secured on one of the lower hooks), with room for other misc small items. The bitter end of the rode is tied to the mast step. The hooks hold dock lines. The box is positioned fore/aft to allow the door to the forward stowage compartment to be opened & closed. I mounted a piece of teak with an inclinometer to "camouflage" the face of the milk carton. I'd like to hear/see other proven stowage ideas and solutions. One that I'm still grappling with is how to stow an emergency boarding ladder neatly on the aft deck so that it would be reachable from the water in a single-handing man-overboard situation.

[img][img]http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/5514/daysailerstowage1kk.jpg[/img][/img]
David Hest

Nice idea

Post by David Hest »

Nice work. You're right about limited storage. I have considered mounting wood strips with several hooks along the top sides of the cuddy for hanging lines, PFDs, but haven't gotten to that yet. Good luck with perfecting the ladder.

David
winthrop fisher
cd 22 "Easy Rider Sr" 84

Post by winthrop fisher »

Hi... put ever thing in dry bags, at least it will keep ever thing dry....winthrop