Ethanol in gasoline

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Brad Smith

Ethanol in gasoline

Post by Brad Smith »

Does anyone have experience with the new 10% ethanol in gasoline, particularly in outboard gas tanks? I have a Tohatsu two stroke 8hp, purchased in 2002. I have seen an article in Chesapeake Bay magazine indicating that the ethanol can attack the hose and other rubber fittings.
Brad Smith
Second Wind CD-25
Efrost
Virginia Beach, VA

Johnson and Evinrude

Post by Efrost »

I don't know about Tohatsu, but I assume it is the same as for the Johnson/Evinrude engines. According to the company website, up to 10% ethanol is safe to run. As to the rubber fittings, think of all the ethanol that will be running through gasoline hoses in gas pumps and in other in tanks, through hoses in other engines such as lawnmowers, etc.
Ed
Carl Thunberg

Evinrude Rep.

Post by Carl Thunberg »

Brad,

I attended a lecture on outboard engine maintenance at the Maine Boatbuilders Show earlier this spring. The speaker was an Evinrude rep. and he clearly knew his stuff. I posed the same question to him. He wasn't concerned about the new formulated gasoline with ethanol. If he's not worried, then I guess I'm not either.

Carl
CDSOA Commodore - Member No. 725

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton