Zinc Replacement for CD28

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Sailing Soldier

formerly CD 28 #177

Zinc Replacement for CD28

Post by Sailing Soldier »

I have been unable to find a replacement zinc for my 1978 CD 28.

Has anyone else run into this problem. I've tried 6 different boat stores here in RI without success. I even called Robinhood in Maine figuring they's have them. No dice.

What do my fellow Dory owners do? I can't be the first sailor with this problem.

Thanks,

John
CD 28 #177
Liberty
Wayne Grenier

Post by Wayne Grenier »

what do you mean? there is a zinc collar on the prop shaft between the cutlass bearing and prop-that is sold based on the diameter of your shaft (your propellor shaft) and there should be a zinc in either your engine cooling system or your heat exchanger-take the old one with you to a marine supply store-
Bob DuPont
Pelican
Hull 182
Miami, Florida

Post by Bob DuPont »

Is it the prop zinc or the engine zinc. If it's the prop zinc and your shaft is the same size as on my 27 (1-inch), then you want the Camp Company's P3 zinc and you also might need the PN3 nut set for it. You should be able to find these on the Web; they are available through Lewis Marine Supply, which wholesales to retail outlets. Might be one in your area.
Bob D
Cape Dory 27
Hull 182
"Pelican"
Sailing Soldier

formerly CD 28 #177

Thanks guys...

I'm looking for the zinc on the end of the propeller shaft. There are two nuts after the prop, then about two inches og threads which the zinc spun-on.

There is no room for a collar style on my 28.

Thought I'd ask the group...
Bob DuPont
Pelican
Hull 182
Miami, Florida

Post by Bob DuPont »

Then what you want is the prop zinc. Check the diameter of your shaft. I'll bet it is 1-inch. In that case, check out the Camp P3 and PN3 on the Web. There are other sizes (the P3 set also works with 1 1/16-inch shaft. Hope this helps.
Bob D
Cape Dory 27
Hull 182
"Pelican"
Bob Owens
City Island, New York

Prop Zinc

Post by Bob Owens »

John,
If all else fails and you cannot locate a supplier locally, try my supplier: Precision Marine, 290 Drake Ave., New Rochelle, NY 10805 phone 914-235-4023. They get my Camp P3 prop zinc each year from Lewis, and I'm sure would be willing to ship to you. I'm sure the set-up is the same on the CD28 as on my 27 (1" shaft), but if you want to be safe, send me your fax number off-line and I will send you the whole assembly diagram that Camp sends with the zinc.
Best,
Bob Owens
Sailing Soldier

formerly CD 28 #177

Thanks everyone

I'd like to thank everyone for their feedback. That's the great thing about Cape Dory owners. They are never afraid to offer advice (or opinions)!

Capt John
CD 28 #177
"Liberty"
Greenwich Bay (RI)