Caulk Or Bedding Compound That Will Be Exposed to Sun

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Bill Sonntag

Caulk Or Bedding Compound That Will Be Exposed to Sun

Post by Bill Sonntag »

I used the search function on the Board and did not find a string that hit the mark for this question - so here it is - I want to re-bed the companionway hood (turtle) and around the companionway teak trim. I need a caulk/bedding compound that will stand up to the sun, not yellow etc. Please, does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Bill Sonntag
Surprise
CD 31
mahalocd36

since no one else answered....

Post by mahalocd36 »

....I'll ask.....why would it be exposed to the sun? We have to do this job soon. We figured unscrewing the whole thing, cleaning off any old caulk, and caulking under it - some should squeeze out when we reinstall it but generally you don't leave a lot on the outside. Just like how we did the hatches. So I'm wondering if you were actually going to remove it or just caulk around it?

Anyways, LifeCaulk comes in a teak color. And the white we used around rebedding some deck fittings hasn't had any problems with any exposed beads of the white turning yellow after a few years. Though - there's not much exposed when you are done.
Melissa Abato
www.sailmahalo.com
Mike Raehl
Location: CD27 #151, Roberta Jane III, Belmont Harbor, Chicago

Post by Mike Raehl »

I have gotten good results from Life Caulk. Just used the last of my full size tube to bed turning block, clutches and winch to run main halyard to the cockpit. Previously used to re-bed the coaming boards after Cetal finish was applied in the basement.
Mike Raehl
Bill Sonntag

Post by Bill Sonntag »

Thanks for the replies. On my Cape Dory the fit is such on the companionway and the cover that caulk needs to fill the spaces between the GRP and the wooden trim - hence exposure to sunlight.

Happy Sailing for the coming long weekend to all:

Bill Sonntag