why does my boat list?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

jokemo

why does my boat list?

Post by jokemo »

Awhile back I was looking at a Mason 33 and made an offer that was turned down. My search for great sailboats led me to this forum and I got enough assurance from all of you that I wouldn't be sorry. Well, I did buy a lovely Cape Dory 33 out here in "Vigor" country, aka Bellingham, Wa. and am completely off the deep end with enthusiasm and trepidation. I have long list of questions and think it may be prudent to space them out so that I don't wear out my welcome. So here goes and know that I sincerely appreciate this board and the cast of characters that offer help and humor. ? #1 Why does my boat list to port even though I have filled my 3 starboard side water tanks that, to my mind certainly offset the two 12 volt batteries to port. I have virtually no personal stuff on board yet and while cleaning most every cubby can't seem to figure out what is creating about 3 degrees of catty wampussness ( local spelling ). How many questions do I get a week. I've tried to be real good and have read 34 pages in the archives so far.
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Listing To Port

Post by Oswego John »

Hi Jokemo,

Welcome aboard. Congratulations on your new (to you) boat.

I'm sure that you know what you are talking about, speaking of the list. I'm almost ashamed to mention this BUT - - - are you convinced without a doubt that there is a definite list, or could it be an optical illusion. :oops:

What's the status of the holding tanks? Has anyone messed with the bootstripe? Are both freeboard measurements the same on both sides? Another thing that you could do to verify that a list exists is to place a straight edge, a straight piece of metal or two by four, across the coamings and lay a spirit level on the straight edge. (with no one in the boat)

If this does, indeed , show that a list is present, then we will have to take this to the next step.

Just for giggles, did you have the boat surveyed before you bought it? Was the boat wet or on the hard when you bought it? If on the hard, was the boat PROPERLY shored up? For how long?

This very well could get to be interesting.
Good luck,
O J
Leo MacDonald
Location: 'EVENING LIGHT' CD33 No. 38, Pine Isl. Bay, Groton, CT

CD33 & CD36 Port List Problem

Post by Leo MacDonald »

Hi Mr. Jokemo

A couple of questions;
What model year?
Where are the water tanks?
What size batteries and there location?
Where is the hot water heater?
Has anything other beyond factory original equipment been added to the port sail locker?

Somewhere around 1981,2-ish CD sent a memo to CD33 and CD36 owners suggesting that to correct a port-after list they add approx. 300 lbs of lead shot outboard of the Stbd settee Potable Water Tank.

When we purchased Evening Light (1981 CD33 No. 38) she listed aft and to port. Since then I have moved 3 of the group 31 batteries out of the port sail locker (2 AGMs under the cabin table on the centerline & 1 AGM fwd end of Q-Berth stowage space.) I also make it a point to try and stow heavy equip. and tools on the Stbd. As far as I can tell, she is level (more or less.) :)

I have done a bit to ‘Heather Ann’, CD30K (owned for 4 years) and ‘Evening Light' (since 2001.) Look under the archives for “Evening Light”, “Heather Ann” and my name.

I agree with OJ, "This very well could get to be interesting." :wink:
Fair Winds,
Leo MacDonald
Founding Fleet Capt., NE Fleet
Past Commodore, Member No. 223
A 'Cape Dory Board' supporting member ~1999 to ~2015 :-)
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: why does my boat list?

Post by Neil Gordon »

What are you using to measure the list? If it's the clinometer mounted on board, perhaps the boat is straight and the clinometer isn't. Anything else you haven't accounted for, such as an anchor or two? How about prevailing wind? Is the mast straight?

If all is square on the boat, don't worry about being three degrees off and just compensate with beer.

By the way, there's no minimum or maximum level of participation here. If something's on your mind, please share it.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
tartansailor

Mast Rake

Post by tartansailor »

Greetings, and Welcome.

What OJ suggested has much merit. I would like to borrow his line of thought and expand it to your mast.

Belay your halyard then take it to your port side upper shroud base at deck level and mark the rope.

Take the rope to the corresponding starboard side and repeat.

That will tell you if your mast is plumb with the deck. Assuming of course that the mast is not bent.

Hope this helps.

Dick
Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: Listing To Port

Post by Neil Gordon »

Oswego John wrote:Another thing that you could do to verify that a list exists is to place a straight edge, a straight piece of metal or two by four, across the coamings and lay a spirit level on the straight edge. (with no one in the boat)
How do you see where the little bubble is if you're not on the boat?

(I still think compensating with beer is an adequate solution.)
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Compensate With Suds

Post by Oswego John »

Yo Neil,

You, sir, are a turncoat. How quick you forget single malt.

As for the bubble, I stand in the parking lot and use binoculars. Just don't try this technique on a windy day coming from abeam, (or at night) :D

Stay dry,
O J
GeorgeV

Post by GeorgeV »

Congradulations on your purchase...

I too have a CD33 and she also appears to have a slight list to Port, and I have heard that the factory also reconized this as a small issue. I don't think it is anything to be too seriously concerned about and as Leo mentioned the factory did recommend adding some additional ballast to starboard but I don't believe very many owners have done this....

Fair Winds ...../).
Last edited by GeorgeV on May 22nd, '06, 10:09, edited 2 times in total.
GeorgeV
s/v: Peace and Quiet
Tayana 37
Essex, CT
http://sailingonisabelle.yolasite.com/
Ed Haley

Main halyard as pendulum bob

Post by Ed Haley »

After making sure the mast is straight up (side to side) as Tartansailor says, use the main halyard as a pendulum bob and see if it hangs right behind the mast a few inches at deck level. Of course it must be a calm day. If the mast is straight up any list will be seen by the position of the bob.

Also, as OJ says, check to see that the deck is level. Make sure the mast pin is inserted at deck level. The mast pin is there to help prevent the deck from lifting when the main halyard (if lead to the deck) is tensioned, You can use the hatch over the salon to check with a level.
Carl Thunberg

Toerail rot

Post by Carl Thunberg »

Actually a slight list to port can have detrimental effects to your toerail. My CD25 has a slight list to port. Consequently rainwater tends to accumulate behind the port toerail. The toerail teak on my boat has been neglected by previous owners and I've been sanding it all down this spring (in between the raindrops ) The teak on the inboard side of the port toerail shows signs of rot, despite the two meager drain holes that have been drilled through the toerails for drainage. It makes for a lot of sanding.

Now if the rain would just stop long enough for me to start applying varnish, I might be able to launch some time before July :(

Carl
CDSOA Commodore - Member No. 725

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton
Ed Haley

Rain and more rain

Post by Ed Haley »

Now if the rain would just stop long enough for me to start applying varnish, I might be able to launch some time before July
Yeah, really!!! Twice I had the varnishing job started when interruped by rain. Little by little it will get done. When I start out I pour enough varnish to finish the job. When I'm interrupted, I have to pour the unused varnish back in the can (against the rules). I waste more varnish by what's left on the brush than it takes to do the whole boat :cry:
Neil Gordon

Re: Compensate With Suds

Post by Neil Gordon »

Oswego John wrote:You, sir, are a turncoat. How quick you forget single malt.
Sufficient single malt to compensate for a 3 degree list would cost megabucks.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
s.v. LaVida
Location: LaVida is a Cape Dory 33, Hull#40 Homeport of Olcott,NY

Welcome Aboard

Post by s.v. LaVida »

Congrats on purchasing the 33. I have hull #40 and love her.

"LaVida" has the same problem, however she only lists in harbour. :D

Best of Seas,
Rit
Boyd

Is the wind blowing?

Post by Boyd »

Hi all:

I would add one more possible point. If the boat is always docked the same way and the wind is prevailing from the same direction, she will always lean the same way. Make sure you do your checking on a dead calm day.

My list is a combination of prevailing wind and a lot of batteries in the port locker.

I have the fat guys sit on the other side.

Boyd
s/v Tern
CD 30 MkII
Fort Lauderdale, Fla.
jokemo

why does my boat list to port

Post by jokemo »

Thanks to all for responding to my listing issue. Here are some answers to the questions you posed. 1) 1984 CD 33 2) three starboard water tanks filled, approx 75 gals. total 3) 2 standard deep charge batteries in port cockpit locker 4) mast is plumb and thanks for the tips on how to do this simple calculation 5) holding tank is on the center line in the sole of cabin and has 10 gals of stuff in it 6) anchor and rode are stored in bow locker on centerline 7) hot water heater is in the port locker, approx 3-4 gals. Thats it really. No other paraphernalia to account for this minor malady. Oh! no wind blowing either. The freeboards measure nearly 21/2 inches difference. I think I will balance it in some way as suggested by a couple of posters and chalk it up to the alledged manufacturing inconsistencies. Unless there is something else to consider. thanks again for the welcomes and I hope some day I can anwer someone else's questions. john