USING A VW TRUCK AXLE FOR A "BETTER" BOAT AXLE

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

doubledee

USING A VW TRUCK AXLE FOR A "BETTER" BOAT AXLE

Post by doubledee »

Hey guys. Some of you know me. I'm rebuilding a trashed CD25 and have a blog where I follow the reconstruction of the CD25. I just put up a post about using VW truck axles as a replacement for boat trailer axles at http://capedory25.blogspot.com/

Comments such a "D*mn! That's the most trashed CD I've ever seen!" would be greatly appreciated. Or comments on the axle post as well...

I'm in Miami and so far the entire CD "Fleet/Fan Club" consists of...

DanPat
zeida
Boyd
Sea Hunt

Dan and Pat were the crazy ones who drove all the way to New Jersey to pick up a trailer in a 22 hr non-stop ticket to CD ownership...

If anyone else here is from S. Florida hit my e-mail button and we'll keep adding to the Fleet..

Thanks

DSD
Boy, the next word that comes out of your mouth better be a brilliant Shakespearean masterpiece.
'Cause it's definitely getting chiseled on your tombstone.
GLutzow

CD 25 project

Post by GLutzow »

It sounds as if you and I are facing exactly the same project. I also purchased an insurance totaled CD 25 that had sunk. I found, much to my delight, that someone else has also rebuilt one and posted a very thorough photographic record of his trials and tribulations. You will find this wonderful resource at
"http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/debhgxc/a ... c15e&.tok="
It is definitely worth the time spent to review.

I would be interested in keeping in touch and exchanging information and tips.

Greg and Marie Lutzow
Nokomis, FL
Greg Lutzow
Nokomis, FL

CD25
"Beau Soleil"
sailing off a mooring in Sarasota Bay

With nothin' but stillness as far as you please
An' the silly mirage stringin' islands an' seas.
doubledee

Post by doubledee »

you're..nearby...good..to..meet..you...

if..we..keep..this..up..we'll..have..a..south..florida...fleet..soon
Boy, the next word that comes out of your mouth better be a brilliant Shakespearean masterpiece.
Didereaux

VW PU axle is unsuitable....

Post by Didereaux »

A VW pickup axle is unsuitable for a trailer to haul a Cd-25. The PU is barely 2000lbs with a load cap at around a 1000lb. That's 1500 per axle, MAX.

The Cd-25 dry empty is a little over 4000lbs add on the extras plus the trailer and you will break two VW axles. Oh yeah, and if you think your 25 is trashed now, wait till you see it on the side of the road when the axles go. ;)

Try mobile home axles, they are also cheap and are readily available, as they are generally removed from the trailer when they set them up on a permanent location...usually somewhere on the outskirts of Bugtussel Tenn or Houston tx. heh

g'luk
Didereaux- San Leon, TX
last owner of CD-25 #183 "Spring Gail"
"I do not attempt to make leopards change their spots...after I have skinned them, they are free to grow 'em back or not, as they see fit!" Didereaux 2007
doubledee

Re: VW PU axle is unsuitable....

Post by doubledee »

Didereaux wrote:A VW pickup axle is unsuitable for a trailer to haul a Cd-25. The PU is barely 2000lbs with a load cap at around a 1000lb. That's 1500 per axle, MAX.

The Cd-25 dry empty is a little over 4000lbs add on the extras plus the trailer and you will break two VW axles. Oh yeah, and if you think your 25 is trashed now, wait till you see it on the side of the road when the axles go. ;)

Try mobile home axles, they are also cheap and are readily available, as they are generally removed from the trailer when they set them up on a permanent location...usually somewhere on the outskirts of Bugtussel Tenn or Houston tx. heh

g'luk
eeekk!!...

I didn't mean to use them on a heavy boat!!!

speedboats...22 footers...etc...

I'll be using trailer home axles, just like you suggest, for my cd 25, ...

Glad you pointed that out...
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Trailer Axel(s)

Post by Oswego John »

DD,

For a boat that weighs two tons +, plus the trailer weight, it might be beneficial to consider axel(s) that can accommodate backing plates for installing brakes. Especially if you plan to transport at higher speeds or for long distances. FWIW

Good luck,
O J
bill2

VW axles

Post by bill2 »

If I could be so bold as to add to the last sentence of O J's reply it would be to append the words:

. . . or also down steep hills.

Good Luck
doubledee

Post by doubledee »

Thanks guys...

I have a 40 ft travel trailer I'm stripping down to use for a new transport trailer...

It has self-actuating brakes and sich...

I slid down a mountain in Oregon, hauling a heavy load, and the turn-off was actually a rest-stop....(Blinded by snow, I thought it was one of those emergency stop lanes)

Needless to say I "rested" for a while...

I'll keep the trailer down south, where it's safe to use, for pulling the CD out of the path of hurricanes...

Northern driving scares the heck outta me..
Carl Thunberg

Where'd you get that quote?

Post by Carl Thunberg »

Hey Doubledee. I love your quote. It sounds like a line from a movie, but I'm not much of a movie buff. Ask me about classical music and I'm fine. Movies? No.
CDSOA Commodore - Member No. 725

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton