Typhoon sails, sailcover and spinnaker

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

jrosenberg

Typhoon sails, sailcover and spinnaker

Post by jrosenberg »

Just bought a typhoon. looks like it will be the perfect boat for the next few years. Some questions:

!.Anyone know a sailmaker with reasonable (ie cheap) prices? the sails are usable but a little ratty.

2. How about a sailcover for the boom so i can keep the main on. Any ideas?

3. A spinnaker. It seems to be rigged for one. Any idea on the dimmensions of a pole and the sail it self.

thanks for your help

jr
jrosenberg

And a boom vang too.

Post by jrosenberg »

Anyone have a boom vang on their typhoon. specs?

jr
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: Typhoon sails, sailcover and spinnaker

Post by Neil Gordon »

We all know sailmakers. What part of the world are you in?

A good sailmaker (vs. a cheap one) might have some suggestions for salvaging your otherwise ratty sails.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Mike Wainfeld
Bayshore, NY

Boom Vang

Post by Mike Wainfeld »

Search on Boom Vang Typhoon. You can access a great deal of information by using the Search function. Remember, the sails are the most important piece of equipment on the boat. Its worth it to get good sails. Good Luck! The Typhoon is a great little boat!
jrosenberg

re:sails

Post by jrosenberg »

I am in new york city - city island/long island
Mike Pinto

boom vang

Post by Mike Pinto »

I highly recommend BoomKicker for a typhoon with a 4:1 vang installed on it. This will enable you to get rid of the topping lift and also gives the boom support downwind, opening up the leech for better sailing. I am delighed with my setup and performance.
GLutzow

Post by GLutzow »

West Marine sells a sail cover that will work just fine with your Typhoon. I would hesitate to buy used sails sight unseen unless you know the other party. Nothing, except for experience, will affect your boat handling as much as a suite of sails. At the back of the Typhoon owners manual, here on this site, are the necessary measurements and placement for a boonvang which could then be purchased from any number of sources.

Good sailing
Greg Lutzow
Nokomis, FL

CD25
"Beau Soleil"
sailing off a mooring in Sarasota Bay

With nothin' but stillness as far as you please
An' the silly mirage stringin' islands an' seas.
Anthony P. Jeske
FLYING CIRCUS

Boom Vang Specs

Post by Anthony P. Jeske »

Here's a complete list of boom vang specs prepared by Spartan for just about every Cape Dory:
[url]http://www.jibeho.org/vang.htm

Good Luck,
Tony Jeske