Converting mainsail foot boltrope to slugs (CD27)

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

seattlepam
Location: 1977 Cape Dory 27 "Naupaka" (hull #21) Des Moines, Washington

Converting mainsail foot boltrope to slugs (CD27)

Post by seattlepam »

I want to put slugs on my CD27's mainsail foot, which currently has a boltrope -- so I can tie reef points properly. Can anyone advise how many slugs to use? And if someone knows what size they are, that would save me some time! Thanks.

Pam
Duncan Maio

Why not go loosefooted?

Post by Duncan Maio »

Pam:

I am considering the switch to a loosefooted arrangement on our CD27, as the replacement (used) main I have located has a boltrope that is too small, and others on this board have praised the loosefooted arrangement. My loft sees no problem with using the new (used) sail loosefooted.

Just a thought - -

Duncan Maio
s/v Remedy
CD27 #37
Bristol, RI
Duncan Maio
s/v Remedy
CD27 #37
Bristol, RI
seattlepam

That's a thought

Post by seattlepam »

Any other change to be made to the sail to use it loosefooted, or do you just not run the boltrope in the boom? I've never had a loosefooted mainsail -- is there any difference in how it handles? Thanks. Pam
Duncan Maio

Post by Duncan Maio »

I would think both the tack and clew would want to be properly reinforced for the type of sailing you are doing, and the outhaul slide would have to be suitable - I may buy a slide that lives in the boom (to replace the sewn-onto-the-clew version on my existing boltrope-footed main, but I haven't seen the new sail yet.

I may end up adding slides, too, depending on how well the sail works. I would think roughly the same interval as along the mast would be sufficient.

Duncan
Duncan Maio
s/v Remedy
CD27 #37
Bristol, RI
Bill Cochrane
s/v Phoenix

Loosefooted: Check the boom scantlings, and be careful..

Post by Bill Cochrane »

There has been at least one instance recorded on this board of a Cape Dory suffering a bent/broken boom due to a loosefooted main conversion. I would recommend checking the loads involved with a qualified rigger. (A sailmaker will not necessarily appreciate the forces involved and, more to the point, their effect on the boom.) With a boltrope or slides, the loads are more or less evenly distributed along the boom; loosefooted, they are concentrated at the tack and clew.
seattlepam

Thank you

Post by seattlepam »

I think I'll go with what I'm familiar with -- and is least complex -- and add the slides. I can't stand the thought of tying reefs around the boom and wonder why one would have a mainsail with a boltrope at the foot. But I'm sure there are good reasons I just don't know about. Thanks for all the info. Pam
bottomscraper

Boltrope at foot

Post by bottomscraper »

Boltrope at the foot was rather common at least on smaller boats. All three of our previous boats had them, they were mid 70's vintage. The booms had slots to handle them.
Rich Abato
Nordic Tug 34 Tanuki

Previous Owner Of CD36 Mahalo #163

Southern Maine
http://www.sailmahalo.com
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Slugs On Foot Of Sail

Post by Oswego John »

Hi Pam,

I tend to agree with Bill Cochrane in regard to spreading out the tension on the boom. I think that Duncan is on track by providing boom attachments at about the same intervals as that on the mast. With slugs, you can reef without going around the boom. You can't do that with a boltrope.

The early versions of CDs, at least the smaller sizes, had boltropes. The mast and boom had a track built in fot the boltropes

BTW, FWIW, I used to live for a while just south of Seattle in a nice place called Burien. It's beautiful out there (when it's not raining) Do they still have the houseboats?

Best regards,
O J
seattlepam

Post by seattlepam »

I'm agreeing with this course of action, and am going to order slugs as soon as I can get to the boat to see what size will fit in the track in the boom. I'm switching to slugs in order to reef, as you note.

I live in Burien, which is indeed beautiful (even when it rains, IMHO), but don't know of any houseboats around here. Plenty still in Lake Union.

Thanks.

Pam
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Bolt Rope

Post by Oswego John »

Pam,

Sorry, I didn't know. In my mind I supposed that you were in Seattle. I have a friend of mine who had a houseboat in Ruston, it sunk while he was away. Seems to me that I remember seeing lots of houseboats all over the place. But that was in 1980. Years ago I seem to remember hearing that there was a move on to restrict the use of houseboats.

Have a good weekend,
O J
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: Thank you

Post by Neil Gordon »

seattlepam wrote:I can't stand the thought of tying reefs around the boom ...
Other than the aesthetics?

I know that there needs to be sufficient slack so that you're not putting any pressure on the reef points while gathering up the extra sail area.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
John Martin

Post by John Martin »

Our previous CD (CD28), had a loose footed main, that I liked a lot.

When I talked to our new sailmaker, he talked me into a main with sail slides. If the sail is not attached to the boom, you lose some performance due to the air pressure difference at the foot of the sail. The air flows from the high pressure side of the sail to to the low pressure side of the sail. This is called the end plane effect.

I really like the new main he cut for 'Carina'. It shapes and powers up very nicely, full or reefed.

I like the main so well, I had him cut a new main for 'KnoTy Boy'. Same as above. Next I plan on a new stay sail for 'Carina', then a new head sail for 'KnoTy'.
John & Nancy Martin
Sailing on Lake Lanier just NE of Atlanta
CD31 #85 "Carina" 1985
seattlepam

Why not around the boom?

Post by seattlepam »

Neil, it's nothing to do with aesthetics. I don't like tying the reef to the boom because it puts so much pull on an area of the sail that really isn't made for that kind of stress. I've seen torn mainsails from doing this, although not mine thank goodness. Tying the sail only to itself means no strain, no worry. At least, that's how I see it. Pam
mahalocd36

Re: Why not around the boom?

Post by mahalocd36 »

seattlepam wrote: Tying the sail only to itself means no strain, no worry. At least, that's how I see it. Pam
I think you are right Pam - at least that's what I remember from somewhere - in at least one or two of the various classes or seminars we took I remember them saying to never tie the reef points around the boom (impossible with a boltrope to follow this advice) for that very reason - ripping the sail.
Melissa Abato
www.sailmahalo.com
Bob Mial

Post by Bob Mial »

If the foot of the sail is attached via slugs to the boom, how does attaching the reef to the boom add stress on the sail that would be any different than if it was tied to the sail?