Mainsheet traveler installation question

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

SeaBelle
Sea Belle
Hail port: Rockland, ME

Mainsheet traveler installation question

Post by SeaBelle »

I'll be installing a (Garhauer) mainsheet traveler on my CD28 before I launch next month. It'll be a boom-end affair with the traveler itself mounted just forward of the cowl vents on the aft deck.

The deck there is NOT flat, it's raised forward of the cowls and at the cleat (to be removed). Any suggestions on fairing? I'll be imposing on a sailing buddy (with the skills I don't have) to do the installation while I help as a gofer and grunt worker. Tim is a builder and skilled finish carpenter but hasn't done any fiberglass work (yet).
Sail on,
Jack
CD28 Sea Belle
Hailport - Rockland, ME

There are old sailors and bold sailors, but there are no old, bold sailors.

Reef early and often. It's easier to shake out a reef when one is bored than it is to tuck one in when one is scared.

When your only tool is a hammer, all your problems look like nails.
Ron M.

Post by Ron M. »

Jack,
Keep it simple and strong. have your carpenter buddy scribe a chunk of teak of proper dimension and camber to attach your new track to so it is level. Through bolt and use backing plates, bed everything properly and you should be good to go.
________
Montana medical marijuana dispensary
Last edited by Ron M. on Feb 11th, '11, 05:19, edited 1 time in total.
bottomscraper

King Starboard?

Post by bottomscraper »

I would use something like King Starboard rather than teak. Keeping a finish on a small strip of teak between the traveller and deck would be a pain. You can work this stuff with wood working tools. http://www.kingstarboard.com/Default2.aspx
Rich Abato
Nordic Tug 34 Tanuki

Previous Owner Of CD36 Mahalo #163

Southern Maine
http://www.sailmahalo.com
Stan W.

It also can be a tight fit on a CD 28

Post by Stan W. »

In addition to the camber issue, on my '79 CD 28 there is not enough room between the cowl vents and the aft cockpit trim board to fit any traveler I have ever seen. I specifically bought a Schaefer because it was narrower than all the others (including Garhauer) and it still wouldn't fit. It might barely fit if I cut the trim board down so it is flush with the deck or used the shaped piece of teak (as suggested by the others to address the cambered deck) to raise the track, but I decided instead to solve both problems at once by simply running the traveler from bench to bench across the rear of the cockpit. It takes up very little room. In fact, I can still use my old cockpit cushions. I don't know about Garhauer, but the Schaefer track is more than strong enough to do this.

However you do it, you will love having a proper traveler and mainsheet setup. This is one of the best improvements you can make to an older CD 28.
Bruce Barber
Shady Side, MD

Traveler installation

Post by Bruce Barber »

Jack,

I'm not sure in which direction your deck is not flat, but on the 25D there's just transverse camber to contend with. I installed the Garhauer MT-3 after having Garhauer bend the track to suit the camber. It has a very hefty section and there was no hope of pulling it into shape with the fasteners -- the deck would have been destroyed in the process.

Bruce
Bruce Barber
Ken
CD28, #368
Ipswich, MA

Traveller Installation

Post by Ken »

I replaced mine last year with a Scheafer. The later 28s came with a simple track an pin stop slide car mounted on the rear deck. There must be more rear deck room (smaller cockpit?) on the later 28s. I purchased the traveller through Rigging Only and had them bend it. I preferred the aesthetics of following the deck camber (and the rear cockpit trim board) than milling a piece of teak to create a level base.

The larger traveller car required the track to be moved back and up a bit to clear the rear cockpit trim. I cut the new teak base at the same angle to the boom end so the sheet from the boom, when at mid-ships, runs to the traveller at 90 degrees to prevent the car from binding.

It sounds like your installation is new and not a replacement. Since you probably have the room issues that Stan mentions, I'd go with his idea. Its a lot simpler. The Garhauer traveller track is probably as heavy as the Schaefer and can span the cockpit without any additional support. Give Garhauer a call and ask.
mlitsche

Traveller Installation

Post by mlitsche »

This is clearly the year for moveable traveller installations. I too will be installing a Garhauer unit soon. I had Garhauer bend the traveller to fit the cambered teak section on my 25D. We decided to have them bend it to fit (hopefully if all measurements were correct) because to put it on the flat deck would not allow the mainsheet to exit the car on the correct angle without the camber allowance. It might not have been a big dea, but I did not want to take the chance. We had Garhauer drill the new holes in the unit to match the holes in the old traveller piece, and hopefully, I will be able to use the old traveller as the backing plate for the new unit underneath the deck. And you all are right: there is not enough room on the old cambered piece to allow the car to move freely, without binding on the aft cockpit trim. We plan on using a router to 'chew' out just enough room for the car to move, and we may still have a little lip left to maintain the correct look and function.
Derek Matheson

CD28 Traveller location

Post by Derek Matheson »

Since I got wacked by the mainsheet a couple of times last year as I was trapped behind the wheel, I'm thinking of moving the traveller forward in the cockpit to the bridgedeck. This means moving the boom bail forward about 6 inches so that the mainsheet clears the wheel. Like on a CD33. See http://www.capedory.org/board/viewtopic.php?t=19415

Can anyone think of a reason not to do this?
Ed Haley

Cabintop Traveler

Post by Ed Haley »

Derek:
If you really wanted to get the traveler out of the cockpit, you can mount it on the cabintop as a mid-boom traveler. It's been done on a CD28 before. Russ Campbell (do a search) did it on his CD28 and felt it was a good move.

This is just another option for you to consider.
Randy Capstick
Location: 1980 Ty Weekender, 1984 CD36 Glen Margaret, Nova Scotia, Canada

Post by Randy Capstick »

Hi Derek,

Fellow CDer John Ring has documented his cabintop installation on his CD28. here is a link..

http://www.yachttantalus.com/traveler.htm

Nice work John, and thanks for sharing your efforts!
Good luck Derek,

Randy
Derek Matheson

CD28 Traveller location

Post by Derek Matheson »

Randy and Ed:

Thank you for the suggestions, which I studied intensely. I was hoping to keep the mainsheet handy, and the following photo shows what I was thinking about, although further forward on the bridgedeck might be better. Thoughts?

And I tried to add a photo, and hopefully this works.

Thanks,

Derek M.