Fuel Tank Replacement

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Robert Bryan
Hull No. 228 in Baltimore,MD

Fuel Tank Replacement

Post by Robert Bryan »

Has anyone owning a CD30c with a hot water tank installed
replaced their fuel tank, and if so, how did you get the tank out?
Thanks
Jay Kanavos

Replaced the Hot Water Tank

Post by Jay Kanavos »

I replaced my hot water tank a few years back. Basically, you need to get a pair of tin snips and cut away the outside metal. Once you do this, then you can man-handle it out of the locker. I have pictures of what I did if you need some visuals. Just send me an email.

Jay
Jay
s/v JenEric, #327
CD-30C, B-layout
Boston, MA
Jay Kanavos

Maybe I Didn't Understand

Post by Jay Kanavos »

My fuel tank is in the port locker and the hot water tank is in the starboard locker -- so I'm not sure what your question is. However, if you have more specifics, I'd be glad to help.

BTW, I'm also looking at taking the fuel tank out to clean, but I'm having a difficult time trying to get the 12 gal of diesel fuel out.

Jay
Jay
s/v JenEric, #327
CD-30C, B-layout
Boston, MA
Ron M.

Post by Ron M. »

A couple of years ago I made some modifications that enabled me to remove fuel tanks and enlarge battery platform on the port side.
I removed the stove and cut an access panel in the partition below the sink, approx. 15"x15". Also enlarged the opening in the bulkhead and the battery platform to allow 2 Trojan 105's room on the same side. It is possible to remove both fuel tanks through these openings when the batteries and sink are out of the way. I don't have hot h20 so I did'nt have to deal with the added tank but this workrd for me.
________
Buy Solo Vaporizer