Solar vs. windgenerator

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Mathias

Solar vs. windgenerator

Post by Mathias »

Well, I did the obligatory archive search, but couldn't find any discussion on the issue of solar panels vs. windgenerators.

I plan on spending next winter in the Caribbean, and wonder which is better, or if I even need to make that investment right now. (Maybe it could wait until I cross the big pond, for instance.)

The few people I have asked said to get both, but I can't afford that right now. If you HAD to make a choice, which would you choose?

In the archives, I found one review of the Air-X windgenerator that made me think that is the way to go. But I would appreciate your input.

Thanks,
-Mathias
Sunset, CD25
Lake Champlain
Ron Turner
Oriental, NC

Intuition

Post by Ron Turner »

It would seem that the wind gen would make more juice and not be hindered by the sun going down. Can be noisy and vibrate but other than that..?
Ron Turner
jerryaxler

wind generator

Post by jerryaxler »

I just installed an Air-X unit last summer and when the wind blows 10-12 knots, it is amazing the amount of output. 4-6 amps/hr adds up pretty fast. The problem is the sound of the blades turning thru the air. When in the cockpit, it takes some getting use to, but below it is unnoticeable. Our solution is to run the unit at night , if it really starts to bug me. The vibration that was mentioned is not a problem, since we followed directions and mounted the unit with the vibration dampers.
Fairwinds and following seas,
Jerry Axler
Carter Brey
City Island, New York

wind generators

Post by Carter Brey »

The sound really can be a bit of a problem. I was anchored in the lee of a Mediterranean island last summer enjoying a sunny afternoon, surrounded by enormous Euro-cruisers whose bridges, masts, shrouds and rails bristled with every conceivable kind of techno-appendage. I was a bit bothered by a constant whining sound, and after some stealthy binocular work (essential for those parts of the world where topless bathing is common) I was finally able to identify the source. Rather than coming from my children, who were actually happily occupied, it was a wind generator mounted on a French Beneteau nearby. Alors!
Russell

Post by Russell »

I have both, and i am currently cruising in the Caribbean.

If I only had to have one (both is ideal) I would choose the wind generator, in the trade winds your pretty well assured of plenty of power. The Air-X is what I have, it is noisy though, but output is good and the feature that sold me was the built in regulator that will automaticly shut the unit off in high winds, so a nice safety feature. If I was outfitting right now I would however give ampairs new large generator a good look, Jack Rabbit Energy is selling them.
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
winthrop fisher
cd 22 "Easy Rider Sr" 84

Re: Solar vs. windgenerator

Post by winthrop fisher »

Hi...
with all the boats i have had, any thing under 25 feet i would just go with solar, but it depends on what you have on board.
if ever thing you have has low watts go with the next size up, add ever thing up so you can see what size you need...
but make sure you get one larger then you need, that way the batteries will stay charged all the time.
just my two cents.
winthrop

Mathias wrote:Well, I did the obligatory archive search, but couldn't find any discussion on the issue of solar panels vs. windgenerators.

I plan on spending next winter in the Caribbean, and wonder which is better, or if I even need to make that investment right now. (Maybe it could wait until I cross the big pond, for instance.)

The few people I have asked said to get both, but I can't afford that right now. If you HAD to make a choice, which would you choose?

In the archives, I found one review of the Air-X windgenerator that made me think that is the way to go. But I would appreciate your input.

Thanks,
-Mathias
Mike C

Re: Solar vs. windgenerator

Post by Mike C »

couldn't find any discussion on the issue of solar panels vs. windgenerators.

I too am looking into adding a wind generator, so far the Rudland 914 seems like it might be the best. At least its the most quiet of the ones I have checked, its whisper quiet compared to the others. But it comes from a foriegn source and that worries me a little in case I do need service. My last trip I used a 45 watt Siemens and a 25 watt BP, both glass because I was wanted the most output put I could get with limited space. I had a HAM-99% used mostly to listen to world news and music, VHF almost never left channel 68, a solid state frig, like the one you get at wally world and the normal cabin lights. I did change all my inside lights to LED's but at the time there was no approved LED's for running or anchor that is changed now.

In 74 days of cruising, I used the engine three times to charge the three batteries. 1.Start, 2.House lights, 3.back up for bilge pump and alarms.

Mistakes I made, next time I will use better batteries, lead-acid don't cut it. Use different charge controllers for each solar panel. instead of one control with a combiner. That cruise went from Clearwater, FL to Key West, FL.
Ed Haley

Determine your power needs first

Post by Ed Haley »

Like Winston said, you have to first determine a power needs assessment over a 24 hour period using everything you would normally power while cruising. In your boat, find out how long each day you operate your AP, refer, stereo, lights, anchor light, reading light, tv, etc. Don't forget to include the power used to charge other devices, such as handhelds, flashlights, dinghy battery, etc. Then determine wattage used (hours used X amps X 12 volts). Then find an energy source, such as solar or wind or both, to replace then energy used. A 100 watt solar panel will provide about 6 amps for half a day or about (12 hrs X 6 amps X 12v) 800-900 watts. Less on cloudy days. Do the same for wind generators to find out what they can replace.

Energy conservation helps here especially in your big energy users, such as refers and incandescent lamps. Find ways to insulate your refer and find LEDs that work. I like to anchor out and read a lot so I'm looking for LEDs to replace the lamps in these devices. Some are expensive but it's a trade-off for energy left in the batteries. You may need your engine once in a while.
Scott MacCready
Location: Previous Owner of CD30-ketch, CD26 #29, and CD25 #635 Hulls Cove,ME

consumtion

Post by Scott MacCready »

Since everyone sugests figuring out (or guessing) how much power is used on a daily basis, is there a meter I can install now that would record how much I use so I know exactly what to purchase in the futre? I guess I could rip the spinning meter off the side of the dockhouse...
Leo MacDonald
Location: 'EVENING LIGHT' CD33 No. 38, Pine Isl. Bay, Groton, CT

Link 20

Post by Leo MacDonald »

Hi Scott,

I installed and can recommend the 'Link-20' (2 house batteries) or 'Link-10' (1 house battery) by Xantrex (SP??). The equipment has been around a while and seems to have the bugs worked out. I do not think much of their service after the sale assist. We had a minor problem with a battery rating when installing the Link-20. The company customer service rep blows me off, so I called the battery mfg and figured it out myself. If you go with it find someone that has done it before to assist you.
Fair Winds,
Leo MacDonald
Founding Fleet Capt., NE Fleet
Past Commodore, Member No. 223
A 'Cape Dory Board' supporting member ~1999 to ~2015 :-)
Bob L

Re: consumtion

Post by Bob L »

Scott MacCready wrote:Since everyone sugests figuring out (or guessing) how much power is used on a daily basis, is there a meter I can install now that would record how much I use so I know exactly what to purchase in the futre? I guess I could rip the spinning meter off the side of the dockhouse...
I measured every electrical device's current load on the boat with an ameter. Something like a VHF radio has different loads depending on standby, transmit, or receive. I then made a spreadsheet so I could set the daily hours of use of each device, and had two groupings (24hour operation and just daylight cruising). While this method isn't as accurate as something that actually measures the load, it does give a reasonable estimate of what you use in amp-hours, tailored to how you use, or how you think you'll use, your electric devices.
jambalaya

solar panel

Post by jambalaya »

For any boat 30 feet and under, I think you would be better advised not to install a wind generator. You just don't have room if you are cruising, and if you are not cruising you don't need it.
I have a 100 watt Siemens solar panel mounted aft on my CD 30 and it maintains my batteries very well. If I an using stuff which draws amps such as refrigeration, running lights, etc., then I must augment by running the engine. That's where your high output alternator with 3-stage regulator comes in.
I have two battery banks, one of three group 31's and one bank of one group 31. With the three battery house bank, I can store enough amps to take care of daily usage and recharge by solar and/or engine.
You don't need wind generator in a small boat.
Will
Jambalaya
Cd 30
Will Parker
JimL

Honda 1000i is MAGIC!

Post by JimL »

This thing will charge batteries, run accessories, etc. for 4 hours on about 2 pints of gas. It is super quiet (especially on the low rpm economy setting), very compact, and only weighs 28 lbs.

The alternator is actually the flywheels inside the engine (not exposed to salt air), and the waveform is so stable you can run PCs off it (actually cleaner than your house power). The 60 cycle is digitally generated, and independant of the engine speed.

The local sport fishing guys love 'em....they fish at night with a single unit strapped in the corner of the cockpit, running some big lights. If you find your batteries run down (OOPS), it fires right up with it's recoil starter and charges you up as fast as practical, in any weather.

If you really have a need, you can chain a 1000i together with a 2000i and run a small air conditioner (or freezer). This is the only genset that can perform in this manner. You can easily carry one in each hand!

No....I'm not a salesman for them....I just can't imagine being without mine. I often use it instead of an extension cord, because it's easier to get out!

Price is about $700-750.

Regards, JimL
Larry DeMers
CD30c #283
Lake Superior

Windgenerators

Post by Larry DeMers »

We have an 80 watt solar panel and the Air-X Marine (newest version of generator, with new quieter blades, and a better output curve).

We use this combo on our CD30c, on Lake Superior, and find that no matter what conditions are like, the very most we can get out of our solar panel (80W) is about 5A,.. all day long pretty much. But, if the wind is blowing more than 10-15 kt., we get around 3-5 A, ramping up to 33A in high winds of 25-30 kt. Between the two, we get plenty of power for up to 5 days without motoring, should that be on the menu.
In the Caribbean, the wind generator excels further, due to the more constant winds in the 20+ range. Your solar panel will still put out the same 5A/Hr as before. Reliably, but you need the wind gen too, if you have refrigeration especially.

As far as noise goes, the Air-X Marine is a very quiet wind gen, as is the Kiss gen. The main noise is a background type "shushhh" sound, which is very hard to hear in the cabin. It is easily ignored in the cockpit. We have no vibration due to the rubber isolated mounting system that we are using.

Seriously, if you were anchored next to me, you would not know if that wirlygig was locked or not. (locked is a storage position, in which the wind gen. applies all of it's output to it's magnetic braking system. The higher the wind, the faster the blades try to spin, which generates more amperage in the braking circuit, with the resulting blade rpm at about 10 rpm.)

So the wind gen. would be my choice if I had to pick the best one.
Larry DeMers
Russell

Post by Russell »

Actually Larry, solar panels put out more in the caribbean then they do up north. Closer to the sun and more sunny days.
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)