Awlgrip Paint

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Craig LeBlanc
WARREN,R.I.
MOLLY DOOKER
HULL #85

Awlgrip Paint

Post by Craig LeBlanc »

I went with inside storage this year and part of the contract states that the yard does the compound and wax of the topsides and paints the bottom.
I just got the bill for $400 from the yard for compounding and waxing the hull. $60 per hour X 6 plus material.
In November I stated that the boat has been awlgrip and to use awlcare. Its made specifically by awlgrip to polish the topsides.
I've research this site and John Vigor had edited a book called "boat maintenance" and he stated that this book and other sources say not to wax the awlgrip or else I believe you can get bubbles. apparently the paint needs to breath. I went to the awgrip site and it states not to compound as you will be removing the clear protective finish and not to wax as this will attract dirt and yellowing but it does not say the paint will bubble.
Awlgrip also states not to shrinkwrap the boat.
My question are:
1. If I remove the wax with acetone and flush with water then apply the awlcare synthetic polymer should I be alright?
2. Does anyone know of compounding and waxing to be OK? or is this just a myth that It's Ok to compound and wax. some people have told me this in the past but through research when I bought the boat 3 years ago I decided to follow the manufacturers recommendation and I've used nothing but acetone and awlcare to clean the boat.
3.How should I proceed if the damage does not show up for some time in the future. Right now the boat looks fine.
4. Has the finish been compromised by the compounding to the point that I'm screwed?
Marc Theriault

Don't worry

Post by Marc Theriault »

Craig,

The bubble are mainly cause by the heat and the high degre of humidity that you found under a shrink wrap.

It's true the paint must breath, you will have bubbles around the water line, if your topside begin too near of the water.

When you compound, you remove a bit of the paint. It's never a good idea too compound a paint job.

The wax is not eternal you could leave your hull like it is and enjoy your boat OR you could use a dewaxer. In my case i don't like too much of acetone because it's too stong, i prefer to use it at last resort.

When somebody choose to paint his boat, it become a "do it job at 5 to 10 years" for life.

In resume:
Do nothing the wax will be gone in 2 to 3 months.
Enjoy your clean boat.

I wish you a pleasant sailing season

marc
Wayne Grenier

compounding allgrip

Post by Wayne Grenier »

Shouldn't you be concerned with the fact your boat yard charged you for something that didn't need to be done and they apparently can't tell the difference between gel-coat and a paint job?
Craig LeBlanc
WARREN,R.I.
MOLLY DOOKER
HULL #85

Re: compounding allgrip

Post by Craig LeBlanc »

Wayne Grenier wrote:Shouldn't you be concerned with the fact your boat yard charged you for something that didn't need to be done and they apparently can't tell the difference between gel-coat and a paint job?
Wayne
I'm kinda of holding it inside..the anger that is but I really would like to hear some other opinions before I go off on them. anyone with horror stories bring them on. I agree with you especially since they have recently hired someone I believe last year who is an expert with awlgrip. They are now quoting paint jobs. you would think they would know the difference.
Craig
Dick Villamil

Awlgrip

Post by Dick Villamil »

I used a similar paint on my older ODay 27 and it looked fine while I owned it another 6 years. It has lasted through 2 other owners over the past 13 years but is looking a bit tired now. I never had any problem with just washing it but one time I waxed with a cleaner wax however the cleaner wax did remove some of the finish (the polishing cloth turned a light blue). You might have a good case for a new paint job free if you can identify any loss of paint due to the compounding. Wax shouldn't last too long and therefore shouldn't be a problem. I would never use acetone unless you don't mind removing some of the finish since it is a very good solvent for any of the 2-part epoxy paints.
Craig LeBlanc
WARREN,R.I.
MOLLY DOOKER
HULL #85

Re: Awlgrip

Post by Craig LeBlanc »

Dick Villamil wrote: I would never use acetone unless you don't mind removing some of the finish since it is a very good solvent for any of the 2-part epoxy paints.
Hello Dick thanks for the response.
Every year that I clean the topsides the stains will not come out by just washing..I checked awlgrips site after a local told me about acetone and sure enough they state you can use diesel, acetone and others, I tried the diesel and the results were a little bit better then the wash but when I use the acetone WOW the boat comes out like showroom white again and then I follow up with 2 coats of awlcare and alot of people stop to check out my boat. The rag shows very little in the way of paint removal as a matter of fact I really don't know if there is any paint removal with all the dirt that comes off.
fwiw my 2 cents
Craig