Typhoon restoration update

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

bhartley
CD25D #184 "Pyxis"

CDSOA Member #785

Typhoon restoration update

Post by bhartley »

Slowly but surely Miranda (TY Weekender #1163) is heading back to respectability -- and water! She won't be factory new, but she had a very long way to go.

Miranda's Progress

I've put some project pictures together for anyone looking to do similar repairs. Several people on this list were helpful in sharing their photos with me when I was getting started. A picture is definately worth a thousand words -- although the words help too sometimes.

I failed to get her into the water by April 1 as I had hoped, but by May 1 I'd better be sailing. She'll get dropped in Lake Hartwell while the trailer is rebuilt and then hauled again to finish the bottom. She's heading to Massachusetts in late summer and Ariel (our SS23) will stay down in Georgia on Lake Hartwell.

Bly
Dick Villamil

typhoon rebuild

Post by Dick Villamil »

What an excellent series on your rebuild of Miranda. It reminds me of what I and a few friends recently completed with Victoria - 1976 Ty weekender. Fortunately I didn't have to recore the deck but am considering a compression post before launching this year. I am thinking of installing a wood transverse support for the companionway sliding hatch to stiffewn this weak structure. Nice job - I enjoyed the informative photo essay!