blisters a problem?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

jason_ak

blisters a problem?

Post by jason_ak »

I've been in contact with the owner of a CD 33 in the San Fransisco area. He forwarded me a survey taken a few years back when he bought the boat. The surveyor found cosmetic blisters in the gel coat and high moisture levels in the rudder. I think the rudder would need to be fixed. However, I'm wondering people's thoughts on cosmetic blisters. If it can be used as a bargaining tool, and are truly cosmetic, I don't see the harm. However, I would be traveling from Alaska to look at the boat, and I don't want to waste my money. Any thoughts?
marilou

Post by marilou »

I think of them sort of like Acne - not pretty to look at, but I don't know anyone who has died from them. Have not ever heard of a boat sinking because of them.
Joe CD MS 300
Location: Cape Dory Motor Sailor 300 / "Quest" / Linekin Bay - Boothbay Harbor

Post by Joe CD MS 300 »

Any agreement should be contingent on a new survey being performed. The problem definitely didn't get any better over time. Is the boat out of the water now? You could ask for pictures. If it is not how will you see the hull? Will it be pulled when you come down?
Better to find humility before humility finds you.
Boyd

Blisters

Post by Boyd »

Blisters are relative problem. Relative to how many and where. A few blisters at the waterline are an easy fix. Lots of little blisters all over are a much more serious fix. Peeling the gelcoat off the rudder and drying it out is pretty easy since its such a small area. A saturated hull with tons of little blisters if ignored will result in some damage to the hull but knowbody can qualify how much and how fast it happens. Usually the sense of panic is most clearly displayed by the person who would benifit financially from "fixing" the problem.

I agree with the previous posters thoughts on this subject and would add that I want to see the hull in person immediately after it is pulled out of the water to make a judgement. Blisters tend to disappear as the hull drys. This drying out can happen in hours quickly diminishing the scope of the problem.

Boyd
s/v Tern
CD30 MkII
Fort Lauderdale,Fla.
jason_ak

Post by jason_ak »

Thanks for the input. I don't think the boat will be out of the water. This would be my first look at the boat. All I have to go on is the surveyor's report the seller provided. Unfortunately, because I live in Alaska, I have to weigh whether it's worth it to head down there. I think this boat is a relatively good deal as long as the blistering is indeed cosmetic.
bill2

cd33

Post by bill2 »

First - IMHO a survey from even one year ago may not represent a boats condition today - In fact I've even been shown pictures from a week before that were not representative of the true condition - but I hope that was the exception to the rule.

So if I were in your position I would require a new survey that is complete with an in water sea trial and out of water hull inspection by a reputable surveyer.

FWIW if you are very serious you can contract from Alaska with an on site surveyer. You will also be expected to pay the fee to pull the boat and relaunch her - probably in advance and directly to the boatyard - though the surveyer may want to coordinate the timetable with his/her own schedule. Although a bit more challenging due to the distance from you, the money will be well spent, you may save the cost of the trip for you and at least when you finally do visit you'll be ready to buy without reservation.

Good Luck
Joe CD MS 300
Location: Cape Dory Motor Sailor 300 / "Quest" / Linekin Bay - Boothbay Harbor

There was a related thread on when to survey....

Post by Joe CD MS 300 »

a few months back. The danger in doing the survey before having an agreement of sale is that you could wind up paying for the survey and have the boat sold out from under you.
Better to find humility before humility finds you.
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

As mentioned earlier on this board you would also want a signed contract with a deposit on the boat before you go to the expense of hauling and surveying. This would insure that the seller did not find someone with cash in hand after you put all the money into a new survey. The deal would be contingent on the results of the survey. You could renegotiate the selling price based on the results. I might opt for the trip down to see the whole show with a check book in my pocket, but thats just me, Steve.
Zeida
Location: 1982 CD33 "Bandolera II" Hull #73Key Biscayne-Miami, Florida

Post by Zeida »

Jason... if you may be interested, there are a couple of CD-33's for SALE, in this web site, apparently in very good condition. Click on Search and type "CD-33 For Sale"... you will see the different CD's for sale there. One from "Steve" one from "davenlarry". Seems both boats would be ready to go!
Zeida
CDSOA Member
drysuit2
Location: Segue, 1985 Cape Dory 26 Hull # 15 Port Washington NY

blisters

Post by drysuit2 »

Segue has suffered from blisters for years. When she is on the hard I pop them open with a pocket knife and let them bleed. They sorta’ bleed this purple liquid. Then I come back with a grinder a week or so later and grind down any soft or loose stuff. (BTW All my blisters are bellow the water line) Usually I can grind a very shallow divot to get to the good glass. Then depending on how much time I have, I let them air dry for few days or weeks. Then it is just a matter of slapping some epoxy on the seal the voids I’ve created.
I don’t worry too much about fairing the hull that much. Bottom paint hides a lot of sins.

Since this is the first year I’ve kept her in the water all winter, I am interested to see if the blister problem is any worse this year.
winthrop fisher
cd 22 "Easy Rider Sr" 84

Post by winthrop fisher »

Hey guys, Boyd is right, but cosmetic blisters is no big deal.
i have had blisters all over the bottom of a few boats and its not that hard to fix as long as you take your time and do it right the first time....winthrop