Cape Dory 28 Flybridge -- thoughts?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Trawler Joe

Post by Trawler Joe »

Hi Everyone,
I've been lurking here for a while, ever since I discovered the Cape Dory 28 Flybridge cruiser. Fell for it a while back and started planning for "someday". Well, "someday" is almost here.

Prices are a bit higher than I thought, but I'm still working my way towards it anyway. As I begin searching for the right one, can anyone share any information or suggestions about these boats?

In particular:
What kind of cruising speed is realistic with 165hp? I'm guessing around 9-10 knots, but I was wondering if it is really sitting down in a hole at that speed, plowing a huge wake. I'm not a speed freak by any means, but I'd love to see 12-14 knots. I see some listings with up to 275hp, which probably hits those speeds, but not sure how the boat would handle like that.

Recommendations on gas vs. deisel?

Are there any specific trouble spots to inspect extra carefully? Fuel tanks? Deck coring? Window leaks?

Any other general thoughts?

Cape Dorys (both sail and power) are beautiful, and I'm looking forward to joining your ranks.

Thanks. -Joe
AnnapolisMark

CD28 Flybridge

Post by AnnapolisMark »

Joe:

In my opinion, the power 28 is an exceptional boat. I started my hunt in 2001 and found once of the last ones built (1991) the following year. I'll be happy to share some of my thoughts.

Please feel free to contact me at cd28brandywine@verizon.net

Thanks,

Mark Cline
Power CD28FB #219
Brandywine
Annapolis, MD
seaturtle
Location: 28' Flybridge Powerboat, SeaTurtle, Punta Gorda, FL

28 flybridge

Post by seaturtle »

Hi Joe, I have a 1989 28 Flybridge with a 200 hp Volvo diesel. At 3200 rpm the boat cruises on plane at 12 to 14 knots depending on load. At that speed she burns about 8 to 9 gallons per hour. At 2000 rpms she cruises off plane at 7.5 knots burning about 2.5 gallons per hour. I have owned the boat for about 6 years and have had no major problems. It is one of the largest 28 foot boats you can own. I love the new england style and the comfortable interior. The boat is soft chine and top heavy and will rock in a beam or following sea and get a bit scarey. If you have further questions, just write. Britt
MICHAEL AND NANCY

CD FB 28

Post by MICHAEL AND NANCY »

What are waiting for? Just do it. Make someone an offer.
If you are looking for a great boat for 2 people - the CD28 is it.
Its great to anchor out - it's a minny yacht.

You only live once.
Trawler Joe

Post by Trawler Joe »

Thanks for the info, sounds like a 200hp would be just right, wonder if the 165 would get there too. I guess the only way to find out for sure is to sea trial.

"Just do it" is a great idea, if money were no object, of course! It's likely I will just do it, and soon, but it's a major investment so I want to get it right. Then of course there is the matter of locating one, preferably mid-atlantic, and planning the cruise home. Definitely looking forward to that!!
AnnapolisMark

Post by AnnapolisMark »

Joe:

Check yachtworld.com for listings. That's where I found Brandywine in 2003. Don't limit yourself by location. The CD28 is easily hauled by any good transporter. I had Brandywine shipped from Punta Gorda to Annapolis. The bridge has to be removed, but that is not a major deal. It fits nicely in the cockpit for transporting.

Brandywine was launched yesterday and we had a lovely cuise around Annapolis harbor. If you'd like to see her, please drop me an email.

Happy hunting!

Mark
1991 Power CD28 #219
Brandywine
Annapolis, MD
Trawler Joe

Re: Cape Dory 28 Flybridge -- thoughts?

Post by Trawler Joe »

Thanks again Mark, I may take you up on that.

There are a few nice listings online. I'm grappling the decision whether significant upgrades are worth significantly more money. For instance, in CT there is one listed with an almost new 200hp engine, new tranny, new fuel tanks, and canvas. I would love making that trip by water, too. But it is listed $21k more than one in Annapolis, which has no recent upgrades and a 165hp with 1500 hrs.

The point may be moot -- the extra 21k probably puts it out of reach for me. But it's hard not to weigh the possibility that the 21k may ultimately come out of my pocket anyway if I end up having to do an engine & tranny replacement.

Lots to think about, but I hope to make a decision by May.
chase

asking price

Post by chase »

Don't forget, Mr. Boater, that the extra 21k is just the asking price!

Some people REALLY want to sell their boats-

Chase
Trawler Joe

Proud New Owner of Hull #47

Post by Trawler Joe »

Just thought I'd post an update: I'm the proud new owner of Hull #47!

In the end, my wife and I purchased a 1986 28 Flybridge with the 165hp diesel. We're content with the speed it achieved with this engine, and the boat was both local and priced in a range that let us move ahead with it this year. Survey showed the hull and decks to be in great shape. Mechanically she's in good shape too, although she's in need of quite a bit of cosmetic work that will keep us busy for a while.

She's in her new home on the Chesapeake in Deale, MD already, and I'm having her hauled Monday for bottom painting and so I can attack a couple frozen seacocks (ugh).

Hope to see some of you out there sometime!
AnnapolisMark

Frozen Seacocks

Post by AnnapolisMark »

Joe:

Drop me an email or give me a call on the frozen seacocks. This is a very easy fix. Do not replace the original Spartan seacocks. They are great and will last forever with proper maintence. They are easy to unfreeze by just pouring CLR or any other lime remover over them and waiting. I would recommend contacting Spartan Marine and ordering their seacock maintenance kit. You will probably have to use the lapping compound to achieve a tight fit before greasing them. Annual maintenance is the key to keeping them trouble free.

All the best... Mark

CD28 FB #219
Brandywine
Annapolis, MD