Proud new Typhoon owner

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

ronkberg

Proud new Typhoon owner

Post by ronkberg »

I just hauled my new Typhoon from Bristol, RI to S Portland, ME and am proud to display her on the hard. Plan to launch in April and moore her at Pine Point in Scarborough, ME. I plan to sail her in Saco Bay and then up into Casco Bay. Hope to meet some of the other local sailors as well as others sailing past our OOB,ME condo.

Hmmmmmm, can't cut 'n paste photos so need to figure out. Suffice to say she's a beauty :D :D :D :!:

Ron

[/img]
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: Proud new Typhoon owner

Post by Neil Gordon »

Congrats, Ron. Welcome to the club!
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Joe Montana
Member 781

Congratulations

Post by Joe Montana »

Best of luck with your Typhoon. You'll love it. (What does OOB stand for?)
ronkberg

OOB is Old Orchard Beach, Maine

Post by ronkberg »

Thanks for the greetings and I am sure I will need some of the excellent knowledge of the Cape Dory family.

OOB is just south of Portland and has one of the best beaches in New England.......IMHO :?

Ron
Joe D.
Pine Point, Maine

Welcome to Pine Point

Post by Joe D. »

Ron congrats on your typhoon. You will be joining two other Alberg boats, a Seasprite 23 and my Kittiwake 23. So Carl will be well represented in our little anchorage. I believe there are several Typhoons that sail out of the Saco River. I am from OOB, but now live in Scarborough about a mile from the Pine Point. Looking forward to meeting you.
Joe D.
ronkberg

Photo attempt

Post by ronkberg »

Here are some photos I have taken. If in the correct squence, you will see her strapped for the RI transit, the Uhaul towing truck, the final spot in Maine and then the field of large "blow boats" that the little Ty is living with.

http://photobucket.com/albums/c309/ronkberg/

Hello Joe D. I live in the SeaScape condo that is almost in Scarboro. Looking forward to rubbing elbows with the other Alberg sailboats that I have admired in the past few summers.

I need to build a mooring for Pine Point and wonder if you have any leads?

Ron
winthrop fisher
cd 22 "Easy Rider Sr" 84

Post by winthrop fisher »

Hi... have fun with your new used typhoon and stay out storms... winthrop
John Martin

Post by John Martin »

Ron,

Congrats on your 'new' Ty.

John
John & Nancy Martin
Sailing on Lake Lanier just NE of Atlanta
CD31 #85 "Carina" 1985
ronkberg

Thanks for the congrats

Post by ronkberg »

Winthrop and John, from looking at your postings, it appears that I will have to get another Cape Dory to keep up with you two.... :wink: I have heard that we should always have two dogs as one will entertain the other. Is that theory also applicable to Cape Dory sailboats?

I am ready to sail but Maine is holding onto winter as the temp is only 28 presently. I am working on a mooring build right now and hope to launch in mid to late April.

I will keep reading the CD messages and have gained much knowledge from the many, many experienced sailors.

Thanks again, Ron
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Congrats

Post by Joe Myerson »

Hey Ron,

Congratulations and welcome to the exclusive club of Cape Dory Owners!

BTW, I lived in Maine long enough to know what and where OOB is. (Even though my humble abode was in salty Skowhegan.)

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
ronkberg

Thanks

Post by ronkberg »

Hi Joe and thanks for the welcome. I am looking forward to sailing the coast with more confidence than I had with my previous O'Day daysailor. Sailing that boat in Saco Bay with 10-15 knots of wind w/o any furling was scary.

I like to say I am from OOB....it has a kind of a nicer ring than the full official name. A large new hotel/condo being built in OOB center will start the slow re-definition of OOB. This is the BEST beach in Maine, if not all of NE, and when the old honky tonk atmosphere moves out it will even be better.

I hope to sail with some of the other experienced CD'ers this summer.

Sincerely, Ron
s.v. LaVida
Location: LaVida is a Cape Dory 33, Hull#40 Homeport of Olcott,NY

Congrat on joining the CD family

Post by s.v. LaVida »

Welcome aboard.

rit
Scott F

Post by Scott F »

Congratulation, she sure is a beautiful boat!

Newbie question please. Is your white hull painted or is that the original gelcoat finish?

I wonder if 35 year old sailboats still have nice original gelcoat finish or are they all repainted by now? I talked with a listmember who has a TY with a painted hull. I thought that odd at first but after seeing the photos of the TY Daysailor in Good Old Boat, I'm starting to wonder if a painted hull is the norm for a boat of this age.

Thanks, Scott in White Bear Lake
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

Scott F wrote:I wonder if 35 year old sailboats still have nice original gelcoat finish or are they all repainted by now?
I'm not up to 35 years yet (sorry... I'm way over that, it's LIQUIDITY that's the youngster), but my hull is 29 years old with original gelcoat and no paint. It's not exactly new, but with occasional light compounding and a coat of wax every year, water beads up well and you can still see your reflection in the finish.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Jim Sullivan
Location: Past owner of '71 and '73 CD Typhoon; '83 CD22D. Current owner of M/V ATEA IV, 21' lobster boat.

Post by Jim Sullivan »

Congratulations Ron--good choice.

I've owned two Typhoons, a '71 and a '73, and both had the original gel coat which was in excellent condition. In many cases, a good compounding and waxing can bring back the original lustre of the gelcoat.

Jim :)