North Star Anchors?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

RickS

North Star Anchors?

Post by RickS »

They are selling Bruce knockoffs for an extremely reasonable price. Anyone have any first hand experience with them? Is this one of those "you gets what you pays for" situations, or are they really able to offer a high quality anchor at lower prices due to cost cutting in areas other than product quality? I see no reference to the forging style used to produce this anchor - probably not drop forged? Is this the catch, and if so does this really matter?

Thanks for any input.

Regards,

Rick

rsoucy@synopsys.com
randy

what's your boat worth?

Post by randy »

I have no clue concerning the anchor in question.
But when it comes to anchors I like to get the best I can afford and heaviest I can haul up. The anchor is not the place to try and save a few dollars. Our 25D had two Bruce's a 22lb and a 16.5lb. Nothing I've found makes me feel better than having the Bruce set when a storm hits the anchorage. Then again I have been deposited on the beach by less than stellar anchors, danforths!

randy 25D Seraph #161

RickS wrote: They are selling Bruce knockoffs for an extremely reasonable price. Anyone have any first hand experience with them? Is this one of those "you gets what you pays for" situations, or are they really able to offer a high quality anchor at lower prices due to cost cutting in areas other than product quality? I see no reference to the forging style used to produce this anchor - probably not drop forged? Is this the catch, and if so does this really matter?

Thanks for any input.

Regards,

Rick

rtbates@austin.rr.com
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: North Star Anchors?

Post by Neil Gordon »

RickS wrote:They are selling Bruce knockoffs for an extremely reasonable price. Anyone have any first hand experience with them?
It's a year later. Anyone have any experience with Bruce knockoffs?
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Maine Sail

I've heard reports of them breaking..

Post by Maine Sail »

among other issues. I saw a guy last summer who had a "wing" broken off a Bruce imitation. I think the best knock off's are made by Manta & even the Manta is not an exact copy. I compared a Bruce 22, a Manta 22 and a Claw 22 side by side at Hamilton Marine and the angles are completely different on the Manta and the Claw. Even lining up two Claw's of the same size you will find both anchors to be different. The Bruce is tried and true and although the Bruce has limited holding power it sets the first time 98% of the time and that could be due to the shank angles, fluke angles and curves.. I'd go Bruce! Ask your self how much your boat is worth & if it's worth being cheap???
-Maine Sail
CS-36T
Broad Cove, Maine

My Marine How To Articles
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

I've got a 22# claw

Post by Joe Myerson »

Last winter I bought a 22# claw, which I set up as my primary anchor (25 feet of chain woven into 320 feet of 1/2-inch 3-stranded rode).

I used it several times, once in 20-30 knots and once when the wind veered about 90 degrees overnight. In both cases, it held well.

The first time was in a muddy bottom, the second was in sand.

This isn't a scientific test by any means, but, FWIW, I believe that this Bruce knock-off is a good anchor at a reasonable price.

That's my $0.02 worth.

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: I've heard reports of them breaking..

Post by Neil Gordon »

Acoustic wrote:Ask your self how much your boat is worth & if it's worth being cheap???
Practical Sailor published a value guide for anchors for soft mud, with a $200 cutoff. While this wasn't a comprehensive test and they didn't test the Northstar knockoff of the Bruce, they did test 18 anchors. Their best choice was the Lewmar Claw, at $79.

The test for for holding, but nowhere in the article did they warn about substandard products except to say that the knockoffs would likely not last as long. Knowing PS, I'm pretty sure that would refer to the quality of galvanizing rather than the notion that they'd be dangerous.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Thanks for the good news, Neil

Post by Joe Myerson »

n/m
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
chasn_sunset
CD25 #484
Poulsbo, WA

NOrthstar Anchors

Post by chasn_sunset »

For what it'sworth, I bought a Northstar 16.5 b for my boat for $70 with shipping. I took it in to Westmarine and compared the two side by side, they are vertually identical in materials, shape and fluke angles. Northstar warranties their anchors 100%. I can't attest to performance but I think it wil do well as primary ground tackle with 25' chain and 200' of 1/2" 3-strand nylon....
Dan P.
winthrop fisher
cd 22 "Easy Rider Sr" 84

Post by winthrop fisher »

Hi... i have two bruce anchors and they are just fine, they came with one that is 1/4 of the price years ago and its a softer metal and i tried that one and it works just like the other bruce. so i don't see why that one would be any different then the others...winthrop
Neil Gordon

Practical Sailor update

Post by Neil Gordon »

Last month, PS evaluated inexpensive (under $200) mud anchors. This month, they did the expensive ones.

The interesting comparison is that while holding power differs by style, it's not related to price. They didn't test for breaking strength, as they tested holding power in soft mud. What surprises me (on a quick reading) is that they didn't connect the two articles or make any comment at all about whether price matters.

I'd appreciate any first hand accounts of anchors actually breaking, bending or whatever.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Sandy D.
Grosse Pointe,Mi

Any currant opionions??

Post by Sandy D. »

North Star is still selling very reasonably priced anchors on ebay.

Anybody have any up to date experience/opinions?

Thanks,
Sandy
barfwinkle

Post by barfwinkle »

How fortuitous.

I have been monitoring ebay for this very thing. There is a place, if reputable, that has 5 kor 6 original Bruces for sale. There are numerous North Stars.

I also did a bit of reading and if you go to the Bruce Anchor web site, it clearly states that Bruce Anchor is no longer in the Recreational Marine Anchor business.

I would really like to have a 16.5 bruce, so I guess I'll just keep an eye on ebay to see when a bruce pops up.

Turkey Mornay for dinner! :D
Bill Member #250.
rtbates

Post by rtbates »

barfwinkle wrote:How fortuitous.

I have been monitoring ebay for this very thing. There is a place, if reputable, that has 5 kor 6 original Bruces for sale. There are numerous North Stars.

I also did a bit of reading and if you go to the Bruce Anchor web site, it clearly states that Bruce Anchor is no longer in the Recreational Marine Anchor business.

I would really like to have a 16.5 bruce, so I guess I'll just keep an eye on ebay to see when a bruce pops up.

Turkey Mornay for dinner! :D
Bill:

I have both a 16.5 and a 22lb Bruce and the 22 fits the 25D bow roller much better than the 16.5...The 22's flukes straddle the bow perfectly while the 16.5's being not as wide don't..
Randy 25D Seraph #161