CD 33 as blue water cruiser

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

RichMason
Washington, NC (McCotter's Marina)

CD 33 as blue water cruiser

Post by RichMason »

Greetings from Baghdad,

After having rejected an Allied Princess after a survey just before I left for Baghdad in November, I've had some more time to research and think about our next...and hopefully final...boat for an extended cruise for myself, wife and 5 year old. There are alot of options out there for such a task but a few essentials have emerged that are not present in my CD 28. These include more space overall but especially for a permanent Nav station , oven and a quarterberth for my son (or storage to free up the vee berth). We have been very happy with the fit, finish and performance of our 28 and, based my desire for a heavy, full-keel boat with a protected rudder, the CD seems like a good choice to go forward with. There are 4 models in my size and feature range: 32, 33, 330, and 36. 32's seem rare, 330's have a funky interior setup that I do not prefer, and the 36 is probably too expensive both to purchase and maintain. The 33 seems like the best candidate then.

Based on other's experience with this and other similar boats, is a CD33 a good choice for the task? Is there a better boat out there for the same money?

Thanks foryour opinions,
Rich
Rich Mason
s.v. LaVida
Location: LaVida is a Cape Dory 33, Hull#40 Homeport of Olcott,NY

CD33

Post by s.v. LaVida »

Rich,

I've done a lot of bluewater sailing in "LaVida" our 33 and have been more than satisfied.

I've put a windvane, SSB and a host of other goodies onboard to equip her for her extended offshore roll.

However, the 33 is a little shy on storage space, even after you hunt it all out and make it available. (I would estimate I've found between 7 to 9 cu ft of hidden and reuseable space)

I would advise buying the biggest boat you can not afford, :oops: because in a few years when your 5 year old is 13 and 6'3" tall, as mine is, your gona want a bigger boat :roll:

All kidding aside, the 33, properly prepared is a great boat to cruise in.

Good luck in your choice.

sea u,
rit
patturner

Post by patturner »

I think the CD33 is probably the best value for the money, but as mentioned before - If you can afford the CD36, go for it. With two more feet on the waterline it's faster, easier on the motion, got more storage, tankage, etc. At first glance the inside appears very similar, but there's just a tad more room overall and it makes the difference. You can pick up a well fit out CD33 for mid 50's. You're really looking at 80k for the equivalent CD36. Lot's of $$$$.

The CD33 and CD36 share the same rig so it's not more to maintain that way. More bottom paint, more slip fee, etc for the CD336 but I wouldn't imagine it's allot more expensive to maintain.
________
Honda Z50R history
________
Hot Box Vaporizers
Last edited by patturner on Feb 15th, '11, 21:59, edited 2 times in total.
GeorgeV

Post by GeorgeV »

As an former owner CD28 who now owns a CD33 I can tell you she is a great boat, but i would agree with the previous writers if I had the money I would have got a 36, but I just couldn't justify paying twice as much for 3 more feet. Compared to the 28 the 33 is a LOT more boat.

The 33 has a sloop rig and if you want a cutter you will need to either retro-fit it (expensive) or go with the 330. I really wanted the quarter berth and chart table so I went with the 33 and I find the sloop has a lot of advantages in the area where I sail. You would be surprised how much you can get onboard the 33 and there have been many families have cruised on smaller boats.

Check out the Martin's...

http://www.setsail.com/s_logs/martin/martin.html

They raised 2 children on a 25 footer before the third child came along and they moved all the way up to a 33 footer.

If your budget alows for it I would also look at a Tayana 37. Or I might be tempted to move up in boats if you made me the right offer on my 33.

GeorgeV
GeorgeV
s/v: Peace and Quiet
Tayana 37
Essex, CT
http://sailingonisabelle.yolasite.com/
Wayne Grenier

CD 28

Post by Wayne Grenier »

I also own a CD 28 and have looked towards buying a larger boat and like you an considering an Aillied-in my case the 33-which is very comparable in specs to a cd 33-the allied has a shorter waterline-narrower beam and weighs more-anyway-the 1st Aliied 33 I looked at was "hammered"-it had a crack that originated from the stern chainplate and ran all the way down the stern to behind the rudder-it looked like the boat was splitting in half-all the sea cocks had gate valves-and someone had painted the hull with a brush-never bothering to sand and repair the gelcoat 1st, which was covered with thousands of crazes and cracks-and thats only what I saw in the 1st 1/2 hour-anyway-I walked-but someone paid 20k or better for it-I have no idea why-I question why I would buy another larger boat and go through the restortion process again-but I don't play golf or like working in my yard-I like working on boats-but the price has to reflect the condition-and 30 year old boats invariably need to be re-wired-new fuel tanks-sails-rigging etc.etc. etc.-so the price has to reflect that-I would have had to think about taking on that old Allied even if it was free-I am going to keep looking but if I can't find one that's worth restoring I am going to have "bite the bullet" and go for a cd 33 as well-I am very very fussy about the equipment that is underneath me when I am out on the water-I need to know I can trust my life with it-and my CD 28 has come through every time-although spending more than a night or two on it gets quite uncomfortable even for me and I don't mind "roughing it". good luck-
Michael Abramson
Yorktown, VA

Post by Michael Abramson »

I recently accompanied my brother in shopping for a bigger replacement for his CD25D. We looked at 2 33s and both had the same layout. The v-berth is unusually small/short and tight. If you and your wife intend for that to be your main berth, I suggest you try one for fit before you spend too much time considering the boat.
Otherwise, I agree they are a lot of boat for the money, at least compared to a CD36.
Clay Stalker

Luders 33

Post by Clay Stalker »

The Luders 33 is another alternative for a larger boat that is very seaworthy....not a CD and not an Alberg design, but anyone who is familiar with them knows they are very pretty and seaworthy. There are a couple available around New England now. They were also built by Allied like the Seawinds, but I personally like them better. But...also an older boat, so look for a good restoration. I have seen a couple of excellent jobs.

As much as I love Yankee Lady, if I ever needed more room, I would be looking at CD32s, 33s, and 36s and probably little else, with the possible exception of Pacific Seacraft 34s....of course, I would most want a Shannon 38, but most have had the sh__ sailed out of them and need some restoration, so end up being expensive. Overall, for the whole combination, the CD36 is a great package, with the 33 being the best bargain.

Clay Stalker
Clay Stalker
Westmoreland, NH and Spofford Lake, NH
Dick Barthel

Comment on the V-Berth

Post by Dick Barthel »

Michael Abramson wrote: We looked at 2 33s and both had the same layout. The v-berth is unusually small/short and tight. If you and your wife intend for that to be your main berth, I suggest you try one for fit before you spend too much time considering the boat.
Michael may be right as a relative matter but I spent 10 glorious days on La Vida sleeping like a baby in the V-berth. Admittedly, I had it to myself, but I am 6'2" 200+ lbs and I did have all my gear up there with me. So if the Mrs. is on the small side you'd be all set in my humble opinion.

And as a relative newbe, I felt extremely safe on La Vida, but some of that feeling I attribute to being with an accomplished skipper.

Go for it!
Joe Montana
Member 781

Tripp Designs

Post by Joe Montana »

I owned a Luders 33 for many years and it's a great boat for extended cruising. Another designer I would look at is Tripp -- a Pearson Invicta 38' yawl, or a LeComte Medalist 33' are two boats I would consider. If you could find a good one of either of these, they might be less expensive than a CD, but then they don't have the same following for resale. A good survey would be essential, especially of the cored decks, but the fiberglass hulls should be pretty bullet proof.
Richard Bell

Post by Richard Bell »

We had a CD30 originally and moved up into the 33. The interior room is dramatic between the two. I looked at the 36 and found the interior differences to be less so dramatic.

We had the folding table and removed it for a fold down one as we eat in the cockpit most of the time. This improved the interior a lot!

I would have to agree with the rest of the esteemed 33ers in that for the money, for Cape Dorys the 33/330 are a great cruising boat for the money.

Look for one with a yanmar engine change out!!!!!

Rick
Rick Bell
CD 33 Pegasus
Paul D.

CD 33 as cruiser

Post by Paul D. »

We looked at Luders 33's and a Princess, CD 36 and old Tartan 34's and settled on the CD 33 and have not been disapointed.

We have sailed her around Lake Superior for four seasons now and feel she is safe, easily sailed and quite roomy below. I echo the shortcomings of limited storage and a slightly cramped V berth. But I have slept well up there with two. One is luxury. I use the nav station all the time and cook just fine in the galley. There is never enough storage on any boat under 40 foot anyway. But you do have to think a bit.

I certainly would choose one with a Universal motor over the Volvo but that is only by what I have heard from chartermasters I have known. My old Universal has been a good runner so far.

Overall, the design of the boat is very appealing, simple, solid and with some new shrouds, a windvane and refurbished autopilot (I have an original Benmar below decks pilot, still goes.) I would take her across the Atlantic without worry. Maybe I would install an inner forestay and running backs though. Wouldn't need them if I had the right headsails.

That's how I feel, as my older brother said, "Buy the boat!" After I got mine, he went out and got a CD 36!

Paul
RichMason

Surveyor suggested more boats

Post by RichMason »

After a few email exchanges and some more research, I've broadened my search a little. Dinettes are excluded and the nav station and quarter/pilot berth are a must. I want a cutter or a ketch. I'm down to three or four boats right now...Allied Princess, CD 33 and 36, and a Pearson 365. my surveyor is pushing me a way from the 33 just from a space concern. Thinks it is too small for 3 years aboard.
Rich Mason
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: Surveyor suggested more boats

Post by Neil Gordon »

RichMason wrote: my surveyor is pushing me a way from the 33 just from a space concern. Thinks it is too small for 3 years aboard.
It's all about compromise and personal needs/preferences. I was comfy living and working (work = laptop + cell phone) on LIQUIDITY with a 65 lb chocolate lab. Once I started thinking about it, I found storage space I didn't know existed.

Three people on a 28 for three years would be tight. 33 might be enough. If, after 2 1/2 years, you can't stand the closeness of a boat, 45 feet wouldn't be enough.

Is the surveyor talking about living space or storage space?
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
RichMason

storage and living

Post by RichMason »

You have a good perspective on it. I think he is concerned about both. Certainly more storage space can be found, which in turn frees up living space. One of the big problems is not being able to sleep in the vee berth in a seaway...means all three of us have to be in the main cabin, thus the quarterberth. I also really don't like having to move alot of stuff around to get ready for bed or to get underway. If its raining, anything left on the settees will get wet so bedding and such has to be put away. Of course, many people have made do with less and cheaper gets me out on the water sooner.
Rich Mason
jason_ak

WS 32

Post by jason_ak »

I have also been looking at CD 33, but I plan on living on board by myself with the occasional friend for about 5 years before an extended cruise. My research led me to both the CD 33 and the Westsail 32. From what most people have said, the WS makes a better liveaboard, but the CD is a better sailor. Both are solid offshore boats. Anybody else with an opinion here?